What's new

Star Wars and N SYCH? How is this movie not going to suck? (1 Viewer)

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Hello:

Changing the subject a little..... Any chance Lucas will alter the Title of the film? He did so back for VI, when it was originally titled "REVENGE OF THE JEDI".......Just curious.....since "ATTACK OF THE CLONES" sounds a little cheesy, sounds like a b-movie from the 50's. "THE RISE OF THE CLONES" sounds a bit better. Or since the trailers already have been released......is that a zero chance for a title change?

john

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Peter,
Thanks for the kind words. Although he does not know it, my personal goal is to make Al Brown spew coffee on his screen laughing at least once a week while reading the forum. I don't know if I am succeeding, but if not, I assume it is because I am either not funny enough or Al does not drink coffee. Al has a habit of showing up in the same threads and saying the same thing I wanted to say more eloquently which allows me the freedom to be the wisenheimer. :)
Regards,

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So N'SYNC die horribly on film for the world to see...what's the problem? This is a dream come true for me.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
How are these guys any more worthy of ridicule than New Kids on the Block 10 years ago? Anybody lament the filmmakers for hiring Donnie Whalberg for The Sixth Sense, or Band of Brothers? He had speaking parts, N*Stink are just extras.

What about his brother in POTA, Boogie Nights, Three Kings, or Perfect Storm ?

Give 'em a break. Boy bands aren't allowed to be SW fanboys?

One small difference. The Wahlbergs aren't in a boy band now, they're proven actors. If they were put in those films because they were in New Kids On The Block, yes a lot of people would have problems with it. The fact of the matter is, they can actually act. If the N'Sync boys get some acting chops and want to be in movies ten years from now, I don't mind, but it's ridiculous to put them in the movie just because they're the fad now. However, if it ends up only on the DVD release I will be very happy.

-Tom

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
The fact of the matter is, they can actually act.
That's debateable Tom.;) Sorry! Just a little joke.
As for N'Sync, they aren't acting in this either. They have about a second of unrecognizeable screen time, and no dialogues.
Sorry Tom! Just messing with ya.
It's obvious from all this Star Wars discussion, regardless of opinion, that most everyone here cares about and loves Star Wars. Otherwise, nobody would even bother with it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
However, if it ends up only on the DVD release I will be very happy.
I took that quote from the article to mean you will only be able to see it on the DVD because with the DVD, you'll be able to pause and step through the movie slowly.
Either that, or it's going to be the Special N'SYNC Edition DVD. :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"New Padmans on the Block" :laugh:
Ken, I'm still learning how to employ the appropriate emoticon (puking/non puking?), but if there was a coffee-spewing smiley, I'd be using them to punctuate at least one of your posts every week... if not everyday!
And LOTR with it's Burger King tie-ins, and videogames, and toys all over the place isn't [like Star Wars in this regard]? If you say so. All big event films will always have tons of marketing, toys, videogames, and every other thing you don't like.
Sure, Terrell, but I said that the NSYNC thing "reinforces the impression that the Star Wars franchise is/has become nothing more than product placement and marketing..." LOTR is certainly a great deal more than that. And Star Wars certainly used to be.
Damn... I can think of no suitably wisenheimerish kicker to close this post.
:D

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
N'Sync won't break the Star Wars franchise...they are but tools in the arsenal of the mighty George Lucas. He'll take care of breaking it all by himself just by virtue of the fact that he won't allow anyone else to direct.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
My 2 cents:
To announce what's probably going to be a split-second cameo simply reeks of a pathetic marketing ploy. Imagine how much we'd all laugh if there was a Village People cameo hidden somewhere in The Empire Strikes Back.
I'm no Lucas-basher, but this is a sick, pathetic joke.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
If the LOTR film franchise goes on to attain even a fraction of the legendary cult status and broad appeal that Star Wars does, you can bet, they too will become a product of marketing.
Sorry to use your quote, Terrell. Friends??
While I am personally certain that, once complete, LOTR will take upon it's shoulders a mantle surpassing even that of the OT, it will not fall prey to the same demons that some think GL has. The LOTR films are DONE. Even the gargantuan fallout from FOTR's opening/popularity will not alter the magic that allowed it to become what it has become. There will be no more films (well, maybe The Hobbit). LOTR, unlike SW, does exist outside of the film world and has already put down roots. Star Wars made it's rules as it went, some good, some bad. As much as New Line would like the money, I doubt there will be Balrog bedsheets (cool as they might be). Besides, it took a full 6 years to realize the OT, and even with the merchandising, it stayed true to it's core almost to the end (Ewoks notwithstanding). PJ only has to suck it up for two more years whereupon he will be annointed and probably (hopefully) make his version of KING KONG! And PJ doesn't own LOTR...he's just leasing the story.
Take care,
Chuck
P.S. Scott, how do you REALLY feel? ;)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Nsync's involement with Star Wars isn't limited to the new movie. In '99 they were given an early look at TPM one week before its opening here in Orlando (they originate from and at the time were based in Orlando).

This is just the next step in that relationship. He also had a bevy of teen stars out to the ranch to view TPM early (which was also reported on MTV news) including Seth Green because they all professed a love of Star Wars.

And knowing how teens can be, all I can say is that if this wins Lucas some points with them, good for him. Just because he's George Lucas doesn't mean he's having an easier time than any other parent raising often difficult teens. I know I was a little shit at that age.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Seth Green was in his mid-twenties when TPM came out.

And I can think of another mega-watt entertainer who panders to the kiddies. Michael Jackson.

'nuff said.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
With all due respect Terrell (and I LOVE the original trilogy, in fact in another thread I said that FotR surpassed all the Star Wars movies, except ESB), the first book in the LotR trilogy was the least of the three parts. If the movies follow suit (and that's a HUGE IF) then in my opinion the LotR trilogy as a whole will be superior to the original trilogy as a whole. Of course no movie can have quite the effect that the first Star Wars did when I saw it in 1977, but FotR came very close. And that's from a very jaded moviegoer. Out of my four friends that have seen it, only one thought it was not better or at least the equal of Star Wars. And that one is a die-hard Star Wars fan. He's even got a leather jacket that has the emblem of the Rebellion on the front of it. I'm not that die hard about anything, and certainly don't own any hobbit emblazoned clothing! Of course that's my opinion (do we really need to say that anymore?) and I know it isn't yours. Hey, we all have to like different things, right? At least in different degrees!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Again, that's fine Marvin. No problem with that. But FOTR, although enjoyable, doesn't hold the same magic or give me the same feeling that the original Star Wars did. Nor will it ever. Again, as I said, neither the story or the characters were as fun or memorable as the Star Wars characters.

As for which is better, purely a matter of opinion. What I'm stating is that it won't equal the kind of mythical cult status and appeal the Star Wars films had, and have the kind of impact on the film industry and an entire generation of people that SW did, at least as films. That's what I meant in my original statement.

As for which is the better film, this could be argued til the cows come home. That's like me arguing "I loved Gladiator" while someone else argues "I hated it."

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Let me clarify...I did not mean to imply that LOTR would be SUPERIOR to the OT. It's mantle will stand the test of time IMO, because all three films will flow toegther into what is, in all actuality, a 9 hour movie. It's narrative cohesiveness will allow it to flow more naturally. Star Wars is, and will always be, a legend. It will not be "dethroned" at all, not was that what I intended. And in the end, it's just MY OPINION.

And Marvin is dead on. If TTT and ROTK are not up to par, my predictions are worthless. That being said, if they are not up to FOTR in quality/etc, I'll eat my legs. I have faith that Peter pulled this off. Time will tell.

Hey, it's not like we lose the one to gain the other. And by the by Terrell, The Hobbit has a very different tone than LOTR. Just to let you know. I just finished rereading it for the first time in 18 years. Great book. Just, more playful, than LOTR.

Take care,

Chuck

As for cult effect...I don't know if we see eye to eye on that one, Terrell. This movie WILL NOT change Hollywood like SW did. But SW didn't exactly make Hollywood better in all cases. The overall cultural effect of LOTR is quite a bit more significant than that of Star Wars. That was true years ago, before shot one rolled on FOTR. Just my view, but when even Star Wars is dust, people will be reading the Lord of the Rings.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I'm talking purely as films Chuck. I'm not talking as subject matter. You can't relly compare the book medium to the film medium in terms of what I'm talking about. LOTR will always be a legend in terms of books. What I'm saying as films, they won't stand the test of time as something like Star Wars or The Wizard of Oz. As a book, it surely will go down as one of the great books of all times, and be remember forever.
Although I guess it's possible the films may. I'm just saying I don't see them standing the test of time 100 years from now the way Star Wars will. But again, that's just an opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.:D
EEKS! How did a thread about N'Sync turn into a LOTR versus Star Wars debate. I must be losing my mind. I am sick with the flu. Maybe that's it. I guess it started with Al's post and my response to it. Anyway, we're off track, and the last thing we need is another thread turned into SW/LOTR battle. My apologies if I was responsible for this.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Seth Green was in his mid-twenties when TPM came out.
So are Nsync if I'm not mistaken. They are still, like Seth Green, loved by teenagers (Seth's part on Buffy cemented that for him).

I'm sorry, but I don't see how these guys having what's most likely indistinguishable cameos part of a larger plot to market these films to Nsync's audience. It doesn't smell like anytyhing other than Nsync cashing in on it's fleeting fame and/or Lucas buying some gratitude from his teen age daughter like all Dad's (especially single ones) are prone to do.

I'm just not that quick to jump on the 'sell out' or conspiracy bandwagon. Call me naive, but I just don't picture Lucas sitting in his office, twirling his mustache and cackling wildly with plans to anger his fans by doing things he knows will annoy them. I beleive anything he does is based on his genuine love of his own universe. Since these guys are there for reportedly half a second, he probably doesn't feel it compromises his vision, and I don't think it would either.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I don't either Chad. But the initial shock was more than I could bear. After calming down, I realized I was overreacting. I just didn't want it to forever stain Star Wars, and it probably won't.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
If they hadn't said anything, we never would have known. Don't worry about this cameo...it's nothing but what Chad R said.

And it's not LOTR vs. Star Wars here. It was just an aside between several gentlemen.

Take care,

Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks