What's new

Star Wars and N SYCH? How is this movie not going to suck? (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
He has obviously forgotten his golden rule, It's about the story, not the special effects.
A lot of people forget how overwhelming the special effects were in the original trilogy twenty-some-odd years ago. Lucas has stated that Star Wars is told like a silent movie in that the visuals are supposed to tell the story. Criticizing him for that is certainly your prerogative, but please keep in mind what he is trying to accomplish.
Geoffrey, most of the other points you have made have been
discussed ad naseum. :)

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
Lucas is still upset about the whole Jar Jar thing. By placing N'Suck in the movie, it'll detract from our favorite gungan.
Hey, Anakin does have that boy band look to him. Maybe he'll be related to the pop stars. :D
Oh and Britney Spears is going to play a handmaiden in Episode III.

ShaneP

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, every hero needs theme music. Oh, wait, I forgot, N'sync don't play instruments. This thread is incredible. =) Party on.

Shane

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I read the scriptment too, and if they do manage to translate that well to the big screen, it will be very, VERY good. Maybe not better than Empire, but darn close.
Yeah, that sounds like I think it will be blemished forever.

Why don't you give me a break? I did NOT like Phantom Menace, but I still have very high hopes for Attack of the Clones. Something tells me George will deliver this time.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I've gotta be honest Marvin. I'm a little worried about that scene. I just hope it doesn't come off looking silly. That is my main concern for the film. I think Lucas will come through, but it has me concerned.

I've read a number of things. I've read that they'll do a lightsaber battle, but if it comes off looking silly, they'll just have Yoda use a force push. I've always wanted Yoda to battle with a lightsaber. But its not easy trying to make a 3 foot tall creature fight a 6'5" tall person. It could be magnificent. I think if they allow Yoda to use some force pushes and maybe a flip or two, it could come off incredible. But I heard some people speculate he'd be rolling around like Sonic the Hedgehog. Now that, would look silly, and I hope they don't go that route.

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
I love public discussions on anything Star Wars. Is there such a thing as "trolling" anymore, concerning anything Lucas? It's an industry to fly off the handle one way or the other with these films.

Frankly, N'Sync themselves are completely irrelevant to the result: if they're addition is simply that of any other faceless extra, and the ultimate product (be it the scene or the act or the movie) is good, then their presence is irrelevant.

If they get even 3 seconds of recognizable screen time, and provide to the over-all "goodness" of the end product, then kudos to them and Lucas. They do a decent job, and serve a marketing purpose.

If they are deadweight, or bring down a scene, or affect it in any other artistically negative way, then: Holy Sell Out Blunder, Batman!

With something so unclear and seemingly inconsequential, why do so many people get so bent out of shape (either way) about this?

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Terrell

I know, I would LOVE to see Yoda kick some ass like the Jedi Master he is. After all, he is supposed to be one of the wisest and most powerful Jedi. But, you're right, him rolling around like Sonic the Hedgehog or floating around during the whole battle MIGHT look silly. Oh well, I'm sure Lucas will do what's best for the movie. The more I think about AotC, the more excited I get!

Part of me wishes I hadn't read the scriptment, but I just couldn't help myself!

James D S

Screenwriter
If this is true, it is by far the most disheartneing news concerning the NT I have heard yet.

If only it was April, then I could write it up as a fool's joke...

*hangs head in shame over what his beloved franchise has become*

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly thrilled by this turn of events. The boys of N'Sync are the LAST people I want to see in a Star Wars film because Star Wars is ultimately a timeless series, while N'Sync is a passing fad. That said, I guarantee you that Star Wars will last longer than N'Sync will. Their cameo won't even be noted by future filmgoers.

However, you people are all overreacting. From the way it sounds, their part is brief and they're surrounded by many, many extras. Hell, they don't even have any freaking lines!!! How can someone who's in a movie for a few seconds and doesn't say one word ruin a movie? Frankly, they can't. But for some of you, those few seconds probably will destroy the movie. For you people, I feel sorry. Get over it.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I'll laugh if we see these four guys shredded in the film, it would be decent gag. However I agree with J.Fo above, it really shouldn't distract from the movie.

Todd McF

Second Unit
I think most will agree that regardless of whether you thought TFM was good or bad, it wasnt quite on par with the originals. That said:

I think the central issue here is that many including myself are very concerned that this trilogy will sink the Star Wars universe in a similar way that Alien 3 and 4 sunk that universe.

Everyone including myself wants ATOC to be better than TFM and everyone wants Lucas to "get back on track.".

The trailers and this N SYNCH thing leads me to believe that Lucas *might* be on a path of ruin with the series - only seeing the movie will tell of course. Unfortunately, even if its on "path of ruin" I'm sure commercially ATOC and Episode III will considered a huge success. Typical Hollywood.

Spaceballs: "muychindizing!"

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll start with *N'SYNC and then go into Yoda. Like I said earlier, the boy band thing is only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Do I like it? No. Do the comments made by LFL make me feel better? No. They claim *N'SYNC are in the movie because they are fans. So? We are all fans. Oh yeah. They are rich and famous. So I guess they are BIGGER fans. Again, it's not a big deal to me.

As for Yoda, I'll put this in spoilers...Why show him fight? I personally feel that it's a fanboy response to even show it, and it is sadly typical of GL's recent philosophy to show EVERYTHING! I understand SW is visual, but if he wants it to be mythic, he must engage the viewers imagination. Let some things be SO powerful, even we can't see it. One of the best elements of the long-standing popularity of SW was Yoda's prowess. It is better, artistically, to allow that to reside in the viewer's mind. That being said, if it works, it'll be huge. IF IT DOESN'T, it will diminish the OT a little bit more. He could have him Kick Dooku's butt OFF-SCREEN.

Again, just an observation. It is George's story, not mine. And he will tell it his way. I am excited for AOTC. I hope it is everything the fans want and more.

Take care,

Chuck

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I'm guessing that this is another internet incident of someone posting a joke on a web page, and some media outlet picked it up and presented it as news. Other media outlets then threw it up on their page so that they wouldn't be the only ones not to report it. I'll bet within the next few days, Lucas will issue a statement denying this news, and stating that the whole thing was a hoax.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Richard,

1) I am not bashing Lucas.

2) I never criticized him for not listening to the fans.

As I stated in THAT very post you quoted, it's his series, it's his story...he should tell it HIS way.

I am stating that to effectively retain the MYTHICAL aspect of the story, some "legends" should remain unseen, and left to the viewers imagination. This is an instance where I would have preferred it. Please try and read my post before making general comments about what I said.

Sincerely,

Chuck

P.S. Thanks for the rolling eyes and generalization about my point. Defend away.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Alright Chuck, you may not have critcized Lucas for not listening to the fans, but that is a major point many people have critcized him about. Look at the Greedo thread. When it was pointed out that Lucas made the changes to please himself not the fans, he was bashed for that. Also, when it was pointed out that Tolkien made changes to his works, it was rebutted that he did them for the fans, so it was okay. Finally, let's not forget the countless "We want the original non SE versions of the OT on DVD" threads.

Gruson

Second Unit
We probably will not even notice them. They have no dialogue.

I think it is cool Lucas let them be in it, as they are HUGE fans.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Now, I am guilty as charged of strongly desiring the OT on DVD! I make no blanket statements of moral rights and wrongs regarding original cuts, however. I prefer the OT, not the SE's. That is why I want it. I prefer the SE of Aliens, so I don't complain that the theatrical version is not available. I do understand the few who prefer it should have it available. But the fact is, SW has a bigger target on it than Aliens. Is that fair? Actually, yes, it was a much more popular movie. The truth of the matter is that a greater percentage of fans feel that Cameron's changes (or even Tolkien's changes) enhanced that story. They were better because of them. A huge number of SW fans feel that Lucas' changes were deleterious (to use an earlier word:) ) to the OT, and so want the one they like better. Many of them use statements regarding vision and integrity. I appeal to George's capitalism. I'll PAY MORE for the OT than the SE's. My choice. I am not on a high horse here.
Take care,
Chuck
P.S. Sorry for the aggressive post, Richard. I do what you did all the time. I probably overreacted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks