What's new

Star Wars and N SYCH? How is this movie not going to suck? (1 Viewer)

Heinz W

Second Unit
They'll probably have a music video where each nsync member is flying in a pod-racer and singing to the cameras something about midichlorians...

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: I couldn't help but laugh at that. Anyway, according to spy reports, they don't even have a cameo because you can't even recognize them as they're in the distant blurry background, and last about a half second to a second.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Nsynch get enough exposure as it is. I simply don't want them involved with Star Wars at all. If they are visible, then they become a distraction.

The thoughts of them as Jedi action figures really upsets my stomach.

I can't give you any real reasons for responses. They are just natural reactions upon hearing this silly news.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I doubt they get action figures. They're nobodys in the film. Just glorified extras.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
What bothers me even thought they will be in the background and unrecognizable is that I'm going to have to hear about it during promotional stints for the movie. Maybe not from George's mouth, but you know they are going to bring it up.

Billy Ray Cyrus in Mulholland Drive is par for the course with Lynch. He did cast Sting as a main character in Dune and Chris Isaak in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. Not even in the same category.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
It may be par for the course, but it's the same thing. However, I like Sting. I don't like N'Sync. Anyway, the one thing that bothers me about it is it stains the Star Wars franchise.

Heinz W

Second Unit
George will have the ILM model shop rig up a set of custom made action figures with them as Jedis and such for his daughter.
"Here honey! Play with these while I go rewrite the boys a little more screen time in Ep. III! And maybe we can make the inevitable bad parts... not so bad!"
Actually I don't particularly care if they're there as long as they are not readily apparent and recognizable for even a second.
This is definitely not my major concern with Ep. II. That would be the ah, script! :) I'm most definitely giving Mr. Lucas the benefit of the doubt and will see it at least once theatrically and will dutifully purchase the DVD. I'm confident it will be better than Ep. I! :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
And, whether we agree with them being there or not, I think it's far more likely being done as a favor to them as famous fans and, perhaps, to Lucas's daughter(s) than as a marketing stunt. Does anyone really think this movie needs a marketing stunt? It's not like it won't be one of the--if not the--highest grossing, highest profile movies of the year anyway.
Consider this: we all know the LOTR cast visited the Star Wars set at some point. What if they were invited to appear as extras in the background of the same battle scene? Would there be the same outcry? Would it be seen as Lucas trying to piggyback on the success he assumed LOTR would enjoy? Or, would people think it was a cool nod to a friendly rival? I don't think either "stunt" would add an appreciable amount of money to the final box office take. And, if I'm wrong and the N'SYNC appearance does bring in new people, so what?
BTW, even though I wasn't personally very fond of LOTR, I think the above would be a cool little easter egg. :)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Me too Heiz. The end result of AOTC will rest soley on the story, and he execution of that story. Performances from the key actors will play a key role. In the end, nothing about the 1 second scene with them will make or break the film. It just makes Star Wars more food for fodder.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Terrell, one thing I need to ask you: did you like the script? Spoiler-free answer, please! I've, of course, avoided reading it, but I wouldn't mind a thumbs up/thumbs down from you.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
If the scriptment that I read at TF.N is at all accurate, and a lot of it probably is, then yes, I liked what I read. The story is far more interesting than TPM. The script was better as well. If Lucas can pull off the execution, then we're gonna have a huge hit on our hands. Mind you, it's not Citizen Kane. But it's far more of an adult film, it's much darker, and just plain better than TPM. And I loved TPM. So a big thumbs up for me.

If the actors can pump in some good performances, this is gonna be great. As for dialogue, what I read did not contain much of the actual dialogue of the characters. So I can't tell you about that. It was a description of the scenes as they progress, with some guesses at what some lines of dialogue will be in the big scenes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
And, were there any sand people? :D Just kidding. I'm glad to hear you liked it, and I hope the finished product can match what you've read. I've liked the trailers--which is really the only exposure I've had to the film, outside of the web docs I've since viewed--and despite the fact that I'm (admittedly) coming off as a Star Wars sycophant in this thread, I won't ultimately be able to make up my mind until it's out. I think I'll like it. I hope I'll like it. But, I promise I'll be the first to say I don't if I don't.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
A lot of ire over the N*SYNC (is that right?) stuff. Hey, everyone remember Tom Cruise in Young Guns??? No? I didn't think so...he had the same sort of cameo in that. He died on-screen. It was a big joke when the film came out. Who cares if the extras are boy-band material. I'm the first person to react when I think L'Film is out of line. This is being blown out of proportion. We won't even see it. They were probably visiting the set, and were thrown into costume for fun. I don't think it matters one way or the other:D
Take care,
Chuck

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Greg, read only at your expense. YES! But there is some ambiguity as to how the scene will play out.
:D
Anyway, if the film plays out as I think it will, and that can be a big if, then yes, you'll love it. But it may play out differently. I expect McGregor, Jackson, McDiarmid, and Lee to be fantastic. I'm not at all worried about them. Portman looks solid in the trailer, and much more at ease. The only ? is Hayden. I think he'll be fine. But that is yet to be seen.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hehe. I read a spoiler, and I didn't turn into a pillar of salt! :emoji_thumbsup: I better watch out, though. It will become easier and easier to do so as the five months stretch out before me.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the more spoilers you read, the harder it is to stay away. Let's just hope ole Georgie boy comes thorugh. And let's hope to God we don't ever see N'Sync in the film.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I was quite annoyed when I heard that 'N Sync would be in AOTC. But after reading that they are unrecognizable, in a scene with many other extras and they get destroyed, I feel much more at ease. I'm going to reserve judgement until after I have seen AOTC.

These no-talent ass clowns won't have any dialogue and they are going to be on screen for only a few seconds. I can't see how it will really diminish from the overall story.

Rick McCallum made a cameo in TPM and I didn't even seen him until my fourth or fifth screening of the film. I realize that having McCallum isn't on the same level as those no-talent ass clowns - all I'm saying is that the scene will probably be extremely brief.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
To me this isn't so much about N'Sync being in the film (although I do think it's an awfully stupid move) as it is about how George is making these movies. He has certainly displayed to me at least that he hasn't really got a clear grasp of why the original trillogy was a success. He seems to have lost whatever it was he had when he made the first trillogy, and is doing his best to try and recapture it. Unfortunately he's failing more often than not. Several key problems:
1) He has obviously forgotten his golden rule, It's about the story, not the special effects.
2) While George is a great idea and story man, a writer he is not. He has a tin ear when it comes to dialogue. He really needs to collaborate with talented writers as he did before. I put the lion's share of the blame for Ep. 1 on the fact that George didn't have anyone work on the script with him.
3) He is obviously pandering to children, his own or otherwise (and the N'Sync move is indicative of this). As I see it, SW was popular because it played straight. It didn't try to be "for the kids" nor did it try to be "mature" for the adults. It simply was. He made a good movie. Good movies appeal to anyone. When I was a kid I laughed at the tension between Han and Liea, and the banter of 3P0 and R2. These weren't jokes aimed at kids, they were just amusing, and it didn't matter how old you were.
4) George has entirely too much faith in COmputers, and has forgotten that physical effects always look best. Oh, and he really needs to lay off the lens flares ;)
So, does it really matter to me that N'Sync appear for a couple of seconds, to be killed of instantly? Not really. It does however give me pause as to what the quality of this film will be. The old George wouldn't have stuck a boy band into his movie if it didn't serve a purpose (a better purpose than placating his daughter). This move, coupled with the awfull dialogue in the trailers, together with the wooden delivery of that dialogue, has my expectations for this one rather low.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Terrell,

What did you think of the possibility of Yoda having a lightsaber duel? The last scriptment I read said that it may or may not be in the movie, as the execution would be a little tricky and could come off as funny. Personally, I'd like to see that, but the chances of it looking silly are pretty high.

I read the scriptment too, and if they do manage to translate that well to the big screen, it will be very, VERY good. Maybe not better than Empire, but darn close.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks