Star Wars and Indiana Jones Laserdiscs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_T, Oct 19, 2001.

1. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

I need to purchase the original widescreen Star Wars (non-SE) and Indiana Jones trilogies on LD... I know there are many versions of the SW LDs, and I don't need them to have 5.1 sound. Any versions out there I should NOT be looking for? I already have Return of the Jedi (the original widescreen version). I see that there are some cheap versions on ebay (~$10), and I want to make sure that I'm not sacrificing video or audio quality with them. I'd be using DPL2 on my Denon 3802.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

get the 1995 THX CLV versions (with Darth Vader helmet on Star Wars, Storm Trooper on Empire, Yoda on Jedi)... these are the best quality you can get of the original trilogy. Last year these could be had for $7.99 at EAVLASER and KEN CRANES... EBAY would be the best place to probabably start.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

3. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

Rob is spot on with his recomendation...the original widescreen version pales in comparison to the THX versions. Of course the SE bastard versions are even better as far as sound and picture goes.
    ------------------
    ------------------
    Sirdvd.com
    DVD-Community.com

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

The only Indiana Jones trilogy version to get is also the only domestic widescreen release. There is a Japanese import, but it's quite rare and sellers always ask for big money.
    As it so happens (shameless plug ahead), I have a spare widescreen set I'd let your have for $65 plus shipping. The jackets are not as optimum as I'd like but the discs are all excellent and play perfectly.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

5. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

Rob and Rob: [​IMG] As it turns out the Return of the Jedi version with Yoda on the cover is the one I have, so I'll just look for the other two you mentioned.
    Alan: I'm going to go ahead and buy the Star Wars trilogy first, and then buy the Indiana Jones (funds are kinda tight right now). So maybe later, though I think I can get the three for ~$50 or less on ebay. Thanks for the offer, anyway.

6. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    James,
    You might be able to purchase "A New Hope" on Laserdisc from www.kencranes.com for $4.99. Ken Crane's is blowing out all of their LDs, so they may not have any more in stock but check it out anyway.
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
    AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

7. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom Stunt Coordinator

Alan, I don't suppose you'd sell Temple of Doom separately, would you? I have the other two...

8. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Kevin: Unfortunately - no. I waited a long time to find a cheap enough copy to complete this trilogy just so that I can sell them as a trilogy. Get that? Actually, I've got three sets of the widescreen trilogy - I just keep buying them when I can find them cheap, and then I sell them as sets. More valuable that way.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

9. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

I must respectfully disagree. I believe that the SW trilogy box set, the THX Definitive Collection is the Ultimate presentation of the SW movies. In terms of bonus material, picture, sound, and overall presentation, I believe it's the best. The only area I believe the version you're recommending has an edge is in the soundtrack and the added material, which I don't care for. However, the soundtrack on the Definitive Collection is fantastic.
    However, even though this box set is the ultimate collector's version of these films, it is $250. I don't believe you can get them anymore, other than used. So in that case, maybe you can get the other ones mentioned here.