1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Order Star Wars: A New Hope (4k UHD) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    The latest changes were made by Lucas just before the sale to Disney. I don't think Disney has made any changes since.

Osato likes this.
  2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    That would make more sense. I wonder what Lucas is doing with all of this spare time, now that he's not spending it mucking about with the OT constantly? ;)

3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Nick is right. I'm pretty sure I read a Lucasfilm statement somewhere around the time that Disney+ launched and we all discovered the Maclunckey cut saying that Lucas had changed it before the Disney sale. We just didn't find out until the launch of Disney+ because that is the first time Disney released it.

Lucas is probably busy making those experimental films he said he would make but that we would never see.

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    HA! I was aware of the timing on the Maclunkey line, but didn't realize that all the OTHER changes to the streaming 4K versions on Disney+ were done by Lucas at the same time. Makes perfect sense though.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  5. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Screenwriter

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    I would have loved to own A New Hope UNALTERED in UHD. A shame that it’s unlikely
    the version that I’m interested in will never be released in a high quality disc. No unaltered version= no sale. :(

6. Osato

Osato Producer

the 4k prints are from 2013. They were created for 3D versions that didn’t happen.

not sure when changes were made to the film.

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    This is going to be the absolute last time I purchase these particular Star Wars titles especially the original trilogy and prequel trilogy! 4K is my reference quality format and once I have something on the format that is it! The only way I repurchase something on 4K is if there is an issue like DNR like Terminator 2 and I would repurchase the original trilogy on 4K Blu-ray if they ever release the original theatrical. And speaking of the original theatrical for the original trilogy I feel it is sickening and criminal that the theatrical release is not seeing video release! The original 1977 Star Wars is considered by the US Government to be a national treasure but yet we are not allowed to own or see the movie the way we originally saw it in the theaters! The only way we can see it is if someone has a laserdisc, VHS or DVD copy of the theatrical because to my knowledge there is no other way to see it. Unless someone how has a 35mm projector has a 35mm print in there collection. So thank you Mr Lucas for taking this wonderful original from us. But yes I will be adding this set to my 4K library and baring the unlikely release of the theatricals will be my last time buying them, not including new releases at a later date.

Star Wars_f.

Osato and atcolomb like this.
  8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    You can easily download the 4k77 Project version which is the original films in 4k.

I have the original untouched STAR WARS in 4k and it's unbelievably beautiful.

Not sure if EMPIRE and JEDI are finished yet.

I also don't know how this project stands as far as bootlegging is concerned. On the one hand, it should be considered bootlegging, but on the other, it's widely available and as far as I am aware, there have been no efforts to stop its distribution.

DaveF and Osato like this.
  9. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Jedi is out there and I think Empire is in the works. There's also a 2K or 1080p "grindhouse" version of Empire available, taken from a 35mm print with no clean-up.

It's technically piracy, but unlike most cases, I can't see where the copyright holders are losing anything here. Anyone who knows enough to seek these out has almost certainly bought the films several times before, and would buy them again if they became offically available.

Bob_S. and Osato like this.
  10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Makes sense. I don't think the studio sees it as being a threat to their bottom line.

Osato likes this.
  11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

There is primarily one reason I'm happy for this (and the Disney+) releases of the first 3 movies. And that's to get the younger generation who may not have seen them interested in the originals. Even in their compromised state. And before you think "what? there are kids who haven't seen it?"

Yes.

As those of you who know me know, I work at a major university and my department employs hundreds of students. They watch movies. They talk about them at work. I overhear a lot of their conversations. When the new trilogy came out, obviously talk about Star Wars increased at work. Their comments were all over the place, with some liking certain movies over others, there was no consensus. No Team Rian vs. Team JJ.

One of the more shocking things to hear though was how often comments like "Oh I never saw those" would pop up when one student would bring up the original trilogy. I won't say it was a majority (it wasn't), but it was enough that I was like "holy cow, the OT isn't as ubiquitous as we all thought it was." At least not for the generation born after 2000 (yes, most undergraduates now fit in that category...do you feel as old as I do?).

So while obviously the lack of the OOT/OUT is highly disappointing to me, at least this may serve to introduce more of the post-2000s kids to those movies. And who knows, maybe a certain percentage of those kids will be interested in film history, and discover that there were original versions to these films that are worth pursuing.

Osato likes this.
  12. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    It's hardly surprising that the younger generation hasn't seen movies that are now around 40 years old. They're now as old as Casablanca was to me when the original trilogy was released.

Osato and TravisR like this.
  13. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Older! "Casablanca" was only 35 years pre-"Star Wars", and now even "ROTJ" is 37 years old! :eek:

Osato likes this.
  14. Message #34 of 108 Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Blu Ray

[​IMG]

4K77

[​IMG]

I never realized how bad the color timing on the BD was until now.

Osato likes this.
  15. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Though to be fair, "Casablanca" did have the same cultural presence as the "Star Wars" franchise. We didn't get "Casablanca" toys and TV shows and prequels and sequels.

It existed unto itself and outside of a few failed spinoffs - like a 1983 TV series that lasted 5 episodes - that's all it is.

Given that "Star Wars" movies continue to come out and sell skillions of tickets, it's not a stretch to think kids way too young to have experience the OT in real time will want to see those movies...

Osato likes this.
  16. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    I will only buy these original films when they release them exactly as they were originally released. They're saying these have a lot of cheap-looking CGI added shots and re-edited with new scenes and some original scenes deleted. Is this correct?

Albert71292 and Osato like this.
  17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

For the last nearly 25 years, they haven't been the original versions.

Osato and warnerbro like this.
  18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

When I was a teenager, any movie as old as me (or older) was an "old movie" in my mind. Now I'm so old that a movie that's only 15 years old is practically a new release to me.

Osato and warnerbro like this.
  19. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    And yet y'all want worse color timing with Dolby Vision. =/

20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Why are we promoting bootlegs in this thread?

Tino likes this.