What's new

Star Wars 3 disc set. Or, the biggest waste of money this year... (1 Viewer)

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator

Err..Episode 1 and 2 have already been re-released, March 22nd to be exact, and why would they re-release "Clone Wars" Volume 1, which was also released in March, 9 months after it was initially made available? On top of that, why would they release an obsolete 3 disc version of the set AT THE SAME TIME AS THEY PLAN TO RE-RELEASE THE ORIGINAL 4 DISC SET?

By "re-releasing" the "Clone Wars" DVD, I'd imagine there may be a 2 pack or sorts, but there's nothing to confirm that, either. Someone at FOX doesn't know what the hell they're talking about, or you're making this up as we go along, because none of what was just said makes any sense. Period.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Titles are frequently re-released with new prices or re-released to tie into the release of another movie. Such as releasing the original trilogy on the same day that Episode III is released or Clone Wars Volume One on the same day that Volume Two is released. It's the same exact disc but Fox is considering it a re-release to tie-in to Episode III or Clone Wars Volume Two or the original trilogy.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
It's not that YOUR credibility is in question, it's FOX's. They more than likely won't be "re-released", E1, E2, and "Clone Wars". They're all current titles, not even a year old. They may feature them along with the proposed Episode 3 DVD collector packs from Hasbro, as they did with the OT last October. But "re-release"? I'll give them a call tomorrow, for sure.

Philip Klein

Stunt Coordinator

from tom woodward at that other place where one talks about dvds
dvdtalk
for what it's worth looks like repackaging of same disc

"The extras weren't guessed. Here's the full listing from Fox:

Specs: Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 EX, Dolby Surround & THX / Spanish & French: Dolby Surround
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: WS: 2.35:1 / P&S: 1.33:1

Episodes-Bonus Features: Bonus Features:
Disc 1:
**Feature
**Commentary by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher
**Easter Egg - Credit Roll

Disc 2:
**Feature
**Commentary by George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher

Disc 3:
**Feature
**Commentary by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher

Episode Description:
Disc 1:
*Star Wars: A New Hope / Episode IV

Disc 2:
*Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back / Episode V

Disc 3:
*Star Wars: Return of the Jedi / Episode VI"

GregBe

Second Unit
At the risk of sounding stupid, what were the audio problems you guys are talking about? I do spend a lot of time on these forums, but since buying the original trilogy was a no brainer for me, I never read any of the Star Wars threads.

Brian L D

Agent
The sound problems...

In a nut shell, on the episode IV DVD some of the sound cues are missing and/or muted and the music (not the effects) on the rear channels are reversed.

Personally I have a bigger issue with the inconsistand color/brightness/contrast levels throughout all 3 movies of the trilogy. Luke's saber is supposed to be blue during episode IV, but instead it goes from white to green depending on what scene you are watching.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Being a cynic, from what has been reported:

The 4-disc set will be re-released first. Those who don't bite will have another chance a month later for the 3-disc set at a substantially reduced price. This way you don't piss off the people who paid the higher bucks for the 4-discer. This re-releasing and price adjustment is done all the time...I get the impression a lot of people posting in SW threads don't buy any discs besides SW??

Kain_C

Screenwriter

To add, there's also a huge inconsistency in audio quality throughout ANH. One line will be nice and crisp; the line after it hissy and full of static. You can also detect what sounds like fade sliders (or whatever the term) being adjusted on dialogue, as in the static or hiss in dialogue will fade out after a line is delivered, and the fading out is very apparent and noticeable. Probably not a good way of explaining it.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
After reading about the issues with the audio problems
on ANH, I'm glad that I didn't buy the 4 disc set. I'm
one of those who refuse to buy into the altered versions
of the films. I'll just keep my THX faces laserdiscs, and
call it a day.;)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I don't really see how this is a waste of money. It's just another chance for someone to get the trilogy that hasn't already. They are probably just giving it a new look while selling Ep. 3. Nothing to get upset about. Buy it if you want, or don't. Simple as that.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

You can't be serious?

The LDs have a whole litany of problems in not noted here. Most of the problems of the DVDs noted are anal-retentive.

Watch (& listen) to the set yourself before making such a rash decision. The DVDs sound fine for the most part and BETTER than the LD versions. They look spectacular and the LDs look hopelessly murky by comparison.

Borrow a copy from a friend before not getting it on some 3rd party rantings. Everyone I know who has the set LOVES it and either doesn't notice the problems or DOESN'T CARE ENOUGH to hate it because of it. It's like not dating the loveliest, nicest girl because she has a couple zits. "Wow. She isn't PERFECT! I'm going to wait for the PERFECT woman!"

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
While I enthusiastically agree with PeterTHX's assessment of the DVDs......

..... Don't be dissing my LaserDiscs, man! :D

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Peter, the Star Wars DVD is the most embarassing release of a major film on DVD. The picture varies wildly. Sometimes it is totally oversaturated while at other times it's black and white! On top of that, the audio problems are a complete disgrace. The dialouge track is hideous, the missing music is key and the messed-up music mix is unacceptable.

There have been plenty of other lower profile releases that get all of this right. It's funny that Fox and Lucasfilm could expend so much time and effort on this and come up way short.

It would be a great thing if Fox and Lucasfilm corrected the obvious errors on this movie with this release. All they really need to do is issue the movie with the re-mix done for the SE in 1997. Not a lot of effort is involved. As it is, one of the best movies ever made is represented by one of the worst DVDs ever made.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

Oh my, a loss of perspective in a SW thread? Hardly ever happens... One of the BEST movies??? I like them a lot, but to say "one of the best", that would have to be a very large group of other "best". And which movie are we talking of, the best of the SW may fit in the top 100 somewhere. Based on content and plot and acting and other trivialities, not someone's personal love of it. They're not perfect on DVD, but like I said: do the SW people EVER watch anything else? There are plenty worse offences committed regularly on movies that other people love, and that have some of those other trivial movie things. Yes, it's too bad Lucas et al didn't spend the time getting what they had better and right instead of changing things, but it's Lucas after all, and if you really think he's some kind of God then don't question it. It's good enough for now, and I doubt we'll see better until the HD releases. It's pretty cheap too, and will likely be even cheaper in a couple months. If you think your LDs are superior, then watch them...I have no doubt somebody thinks their VHS are superior too.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
:) Opinions vary, I think the DVD's are quite remarkable visually speaking, Lowry did a superb job IMO (and no, I don't find the color of the light sabers to be that inconsistant), I think the soundtrack is quite good as well ( and no, I don't notice the...*sigh*...rear surround music track reversal), all in all I think the technical work they did on the DVD set to be top notch.

Now the re-editing? That I have a big problem with but that is definitely for another thread.

Jeff D Han, if you aren't sure about the DVD's then I suggest you rent at least ANH and judge for yourself whether it is worth buying. You may like or despise it but make up your own mind on the DVD's because as I said, opinions definitely vary on this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks