What's new

Star Wars 2 AOTC DVD: will it be the film or digital ending & what's the difference? (1 Viewer)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Bad news! If he wants to keep a consistent look, does that mean they'll have to put all that edge-enhancement into AoTC to match TPM? :eek:
(Sorry to keep interjecting this into these threads, but I just can't help myself.)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I think this movie should come with a version and build number on it, like a computer program.
let's see, assuming the first film print was AotC v1.0, for the sake of argument the minor tweaks in the digital version make it v1.2, the DVD should be v2.0, and come 2007 when Lucas releases his super-duper 6-film box set of 12-15 discs covering the entire saga, we should be up to v4.0 :D
(and yes, I am leaving room for a v3.0 somewhere in the middle ;) )

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
So, transferring film-to-digital is being done to transfer the look with the previous films - hmmm. That's like a classical musician in the midst of recording a series of linked albums(e.g. the Mozart symphonies or the Beethoven piano sonatas) when CD comes along and deciding that s/he'll only release the later albums on vinyl to maintain integrity with the early releases.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I'd probably use the comparison of releasing the music on cassette tape rather than starting to release on CD. Because, with the proper set-up, vinyl does sound better than CD.
Hey, someone had to point that out! ;)
mike.
BTW, I just don't get the idea of doing a digital->film->digital transfer on this movie. I would believe that releasing a digital->digital disc would provide the viewer with the best possible presentation of the film. Going through one more step is bound to degrade the quality (even if a by a little bit). Wasn't this Lucas's reason for filming in digital and having digital prints available in the first place?
Hmm....

Brenton

Screenwriter
No, Lucas filmed in digital because of the nature of the film (so many digital elements), to streamline the process. However, I agree with you that it should be digital to digital.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, from what is being speculated, Episode III will have far fewer effects than either TPM or AOTC. Lucas said it would start off with a bang and then settle down into Anakin's descent into the darkside. Epic, but smaller in size and scale. Episode III is being shot with digital as well. But the camera has a resolution almost 5 times the cameras which were used to film AOTC.

Lucas would have film TPM in digital, but the cameras weren't ready at the time. I honestly don't think a digital transfer would be dramatically different' looking from TPM. It would be a better transfer. But it's silly to say you'll do a film transfer to keep the look consistent. If he was really worried about that, he wouldn't have film AOTC with different cameras than he used on TPM.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Well, from what is being speculated, Episode III will have far fewer effects than either TPM or AOTC. Lucas said it would start off with a bang and then settle down into Anakin's descent into the darkside. Epic, but smaller in size and scale.
While the part about starting off with a bang and then settling down is true, you have to remember that with a George Lucas film, it's possible (and likely) that the "settled down" part takes place on a location like Coruscant where the entire environment is nothing but effects. It just means that the latter part won't be like dramatic war scenes where the POV is whipping all around following huge explosions and stuff.

Danny_Tam

Agent
Speaking of the digital cameras... the one used for Episode II had a resolution of 2.2 million pixels.

What would the resolution need to be so that the quality matched that of film?

Just for reference, Rick McCallum says the camera they're developing for Ep III is planned to be a 10 million pixels.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
Well, from what is being speculated, Episode III will have far fewer effects than either TPM or AOTC. Lucas said it would start off with a bang and then settle down into Anakin's descent into the darkside. Epic, but smaller in size and scale.
He also said the same thing about AOTC, which didn't turn out to be accurate.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
At the Star Wars Celebration,(don't waste your money. Too crowded!) McCallum was begging people to seek out a digital theater to see the movie. I remember him saying that seeing the film digitally is the only way to see the film as George intended. Why, then, would GL not do a direct-from-digital transfer for the DVD? Then again, nothing the man does surprises me anymore. He sold his soul long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks