Star Warp'd: The Fandom Menace DVD review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeDE, May 16, 2002.

1. MikeDE

MikeDE Stunt Coordinator

Oct 12, 2001
    Just picked up a copy of the parody Star Warp'd. It's a like Star Wars meets Star Trek, with the Terminator, Predator, other sci-fi villains and some 2001 thrown in for good measure. The whole thing is done in claymation with plenty of gags. Capt. Kwirk and Spurk fight Darth Vapor, Darth Brooks, and Mini-Maul (mini-mall) while they try to recharge the 2001 monolith.

While the claymation and special effects are not top quality by any means, it's what you'd expect in a parody film and certainly enjoyable. As you'd expect, there are fart jokes, other movie references, but also some real wit. There's bleeping of the foul mouthed 2001 cigar chomping baby (so I'd give this unrated flick a PG).

If your idea of a good time is a lot of sci-fi movie references or seeing Spurk shooting Bow Tie Fighters from the top of the ConsolationPrize (Enterprise) while ET and RoboCop man the bridge with Kwirk, you'll get a kick out of it. The end of the half hour spoof where they confront the "real phantom menace" (me-sa thinks you guess might) is pretty funny.

There are also extras on the filming of it and a commentary I haven't listened to yet. Don't skip the coming attractions. There are trailers for Star Warp'd 2.1, The Good, The Bad and the Ewoquis (with the fuzzballs getting squashed and set on fire), and Star Warp'd 2.2 Vini, Vidi, Vapor (I Came, I Saw, I Farted), with a mention of Star Warp'd 2.3 Mindtrix (Matrix jokes), all with the same claymation characters. Longer and more up to date than the classic Hardware Wars, you may want to check it out if you're a fan of this type of thing.

2. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Apr 1, 2002
    I like films where they mix characters of the same genre.