1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Osato, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Osato

Osato Producer

Thank you for The Motion Picture. It's awesome! Has production / work started for the rest of the special editions of the films? When will they be released? I would really like to see a Director's Edition of Star Trek V. Also, are there any current/future DVD plans for Enterprise?

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I too am anxiously awaiting all of the Trek shows on dvd. Also, a big thank you for Star Trek:TMP.

3. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    There is no doubt in my mind that the "Director's Edition" of ST-TMP is a fluke in the overall scheme of things. I suspect that all the other eight films will get released as double-disc special editions with commentaries, making-ofs, featurettes, etc. Most likely, we will only occasionally be treated to some reinserted scenes (such as with Star Trek II) but never will we see brand-new footage dropped in.
    Think of the expense it would take to make Star Trek V look decent and have some kind of acceptible narrative direction. It's just not justifiable. You'd have to go back in time to 1989 with more money and a better script and reshoot the whole damn movie. Star Trek II could definitely use some tweaks (replace the fake Genesis cave matte painting; scrap the reused footage from ST-TMP visuals). But that all takes time. And money. And it ain't gonna happen again, I'm afraid.
    ------------------