What's new

"Star Trek XII Movie Sequel" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I agree with Andy. A tighter script is needed. Hoping that Damon Lindeloff's involvement will make sure that happens.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma

I agree with Andy. A tighter script is needed. Hoping that Damon Lindeloff's involvement will make sure that happens.
Well, though uncredited, Lindeloff had a large hand in writing the first one so....

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams

A clean slate has been set up. Use it. Do something new and original.
Amen!!

I'm sorry but, even being as big a Trek fan as I am, I do not want to see a character we have already seen like Khan. I don't care if they tell the story from a different angle or change it up, Khan has been done, leave it be. What is the point of creating an alternate universe if you are just going to retread the same old stories. That's what sucked about Voyager. Speaking of VOY, they better not even think about mentioning the Borg in these new movies, I'm sick of the Borg.

The point of creating this alternate timeline was to free the writers from what Trek has done in the past. I'll be disappointed if they then use those past stories as basis for the new movies. There is so much you could do in this new universe now, don't waste it on old ideas. Like others have said, give us something new and original.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Having recently watched Space Seed on Blu-Ray, I would also prefer not to see Khan in a new movie. Montalbon was so good in the role, projecting a regal presence about him, that I wouldn't even want to see anyone else try to duplicate it. Count Space Seed (and Khan) as something that should not be remade.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I agree about doing something new but I just can't help but think of how great a full 2-hour The Doomsday Machine movie would be. Redo the plot from the Enterprise being isolated and jammed into one where the machine is destroying planets and Starfleet knows it is coming. Showing the first planets being destroyed by an unknown force and then later mass evacuations of planets in its path. Don't make it head for Earth but simply some path through Starfleet territory. Destroy it in a completely new way but keep the best parts of the episode like "Not with my ship you don't!" after rescuing a commodore from a truly wrecked ship that doesn't get used in the movie. Also the two styles between Kirk and Spock about destroying it at all costs to save more lives and logic that says they should have a reasonable chance of success before jumping in head first. They could also give Chekov and Scotty a significant role on trying to develop technology or technique to destroy it. On the big screen the Doomsday Machine itself could be made damn scary and we no longer have to be concerend with the evil villian's stupid motivations.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I could see a Doomsday Machine type story morph into including a subplot addressing the ecological issue, global warming etc. The implications of technology damaging our fragile world. ( I know, Star Trek 4 addressed it)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Was this addressed earlier? I couldn't find it in this thread even though it's from a June interview:

http://www.collider.com/2009/06/19/roberto-orci-and-alex-kurtzman-talk-star-trek-sequel-villain-ideas-and-cowboys-and-aliens/

I brought up what we talked about and asked Bob [Orci] and Alex [Kurtzman] what kind of villain we’d get in the sequel. I also asked if they’d set anything up in part two that might pay off in another film. They say they’re debating between “the exploration sci-fi plot where the unknown and nature itself is somehow an adversary or the villain model. That’s an active discussion we’re having right now. In terms of thinking about more than one movie, we want the movie to be self-contained in a way, but we’re discussing the idea of having a couple of threads where if the second movie works, you could pick up into a cohesive whole. No thread more exciting and shocking for me when in “Star Trek III” you realize that Spock grabbed Bones and downloaded his Katra into him. When I saw “Star Trek II” I was like, “What’s going on here?” and two years later, you’re watching it and you’re like “They’re geniuses! They’re geniuses!” So we’re trying to think is there a version of that but again, “Star Trek II” does not rely on that thread, even though it turns out to be a thread. So we’re thinking in those terms.

Let's hope they go the exploration sci-fi unknown/nature adversary direction.

Considerthis

Auditioning
Real Name
Joanne Jones
I hope they don't include the one who portrayed Scotty !
Some of us don't believe is Scotty material.Everyone one else was nearer to the people who portrayed the characters originally so they should remain.
He doesn't look like or act like James to be taking on the part.
He may be a good actor but not for the role of Scotty.
As for another Khan movie I would say not it's already been done-an episode and a movie.
Now if one was to make a series an episode maybe.
It's a new look and and a new crew to portray the ones we've been watching for years ,now that things have taken a turn every thing has changed.
So if Khan were to come about how will it turn out.Spock from the past can give pointers to the younger self as to how to take on Khan,without giving away what happened before.
All this is an interesting turn of events.
We have seen the people who portrayed the characters turn away from their
roles and turn to other roles.Not wanting to act in the roles they once had.
A younger generation has come to take over and a new world of a new future.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs

Well, though uncredited, Lindeloff had a large hand in writing the first one so....
That is news to me and given the state of the script, which was locked down due to the writer's strike, something I find very hard to believe.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

That is news to me and given the state of the script, which was locked down due to the writer's strike, something I find very hard to believe.
I don't understand, is it your belief that Lindeloff ceases to exist pre-'07 writers strike? Is he like a prime-era Romulan, only backwards?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
If the Doomsday Machine were somehow incorporated into a new film, I'd like to see it in conjunction with the Malurians, several million of whom were destroyed in the original series by the 'planet killer.' We hear of them in TOS in that episode, and we see some of the species in ENT. I think it could make it a bit more interesting and perhaps emotional on a personal level with some viewers.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
We need a "big bad" that is actually big and bad. I don't want to see someone on our own level. I prefer to see something out there that the Enterprise can't handle. Not reality warping like Q or Trelane but someone just like us but smarter and a hell of a lot more dangerous.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Balok? Played by the adult Clint Howard...

Seriously, I always like Corbomite Maneuver a lot. The way that it was written to show how small and helpless the Enterprise can be and how they dealt with the situation in not just bluffing Balok, but how they used their brains to get out of the situation. And then how it turns out to be a friendly encounter.

I would think this kind of plot today would be considered too quaint for the large tent pole film franchise. Not enough action or bikini clad women.

Enterprise tried a similar plot where they are out gunned in the first season in a different way and I thought it was a successful episode that worked well for TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks