What's new

Star Trek X: Digital Domain will do special effects. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I severely doubt they require *spit* Super35. James Cameron insists on filming in *spit* Super35.
Jeff Kleist

Kevin H. Martin

Auditioning
Cameron split from DD a good while back, as did Stan Winston, though the other original partner is still there. While Cameron liked shooting in S35, I've never heard of any effects facility specifically stating a preference for it. VistaVision, yes, because of the larger area available, or 65mm, but S35 has the problem that you always have an extra step in the printing stage (unless you take care of that by outputting a squeezed image when scanning out, and I'm getting too technical here, so I'll stop).
The really interesting question about DD's involvement in my mind is whether this show is going to feature a more balanced mix of practical models (like the Enterprise-E built at ILM for FIRST CONTACT) with CGI, or whether Paramount is going to push to keep nearly everything digital, like INSURRECTION. My favorite DD stuff is APOLLO 13, which uses miniatures throughout, but embellishes them with CG tweaks (an approach that is the best of both worlds, IMHO). In the past, Paramount has usually had an effects supervisor from one of their TV shows overseeing the operation (Ron Moore on GENERATIONS, and I think Dave Takemura on FIRST CONTACT), but I don't know that this is the case on ST X.
Kevin H. Martin
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks