What's new

Star Trek Voyager (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Watched the pilot last night. Probably my third time, but it's been a while. Stupid Janeway.

You know those commercials, "What if UPS ran the schools/what if a film crew ran weddings?" What if SG-1 crewed Voyager?

O'Neill: "Carter, get over to the array and make it send us home."

Jackson: "Jack! We can't just go home and let the Kazon kill the Ocampa! We caused this!"

O'Neill: "Oh, will you relax. Carter, can you get the self-destruct working over there?"

Carter: "No, sir. I don't even know if I can get us home before the Kazon reinforcements get here!"

O'Neill: "Keep on it. Teal'c? Do we have enough C4 to blow that thing?"

Teal'c: "Indeed."

O'Neill: "Daniel, I need you to plant charges all over the array while me and Teal'c keep these Crayons at bay."

Jackson: "But, what if we get home and the C4 doesn't go off?"

O'Neill: "You're welcome to stay behind in a shuttlecraft to make sure! Now, move it!"

Carter comes through, SG-1 goes home, and the C4 goes off right on schedule.

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Greg,

That was great! I would recommend "un-spolerizing" that scene you described. After all, I think everybody reading this thread knows how Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant by now!

BTW, are you a former Stargate SG-1 writer or something? ;) That was almost like a scene from the show!!! :laugh: (Heck: You *nailed* Teal'c!)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thank you very much. Heh. I have to laugh at, "I think everybody reading this thread knows how Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant by now!" Yeah, that was a stupid time to spoilerize. :laugh:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Only 168 episodes to go! Oy! Ten seasons of SG-1 took about seven months, so I expect this to take at least six.

When I watched before, I had not seen DS9. Now, I've seen it twice, and I consider Sisko to be neck-and-neck with Kirk for Best Captain EVAR. So, I can tell it's going to be a rough ride with Janeway. "We chased you to this asteroid to get back my crewman's lungs, but looks like your friend is using them. It would be morally reprehensible to take them back. In the future, just DON'T MESS WITH US! Okay?" Sheesh. I think Sisko would have checked the lungs to make sure they weren't infected with phage, gotten them back into Neelix if they were okay, and said, "Okay, alien. Looks like *you're* going to be the one immobilized for life in this holochamber!" (Kirk probably would have gotten back the lungs and said, "Screw you, alien!") Of course, the writers stack the deck by having it turn out okay. Alien keeps the lungs, Neelix gets one of Kes's.

I wasn't too thrilled with "we can't violate the prime directive by warning these people they are going to be turned to ashes." I mean, don't give aliens advanced technology and don't tip the scales by giving out arms in an alien civil war, but I don't think going back a half a day and saying, "Hey, I wouldn't do that if I were you!" is anything but the right thing to do.

Not complaining about the show per se, just this particular captain who makes Picard look unPC.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I remember this differently. What happened was, He gives Janeway information to take Voyager home sooner as a token of his appreciation for Her help with His son. When she asks why he is only saving them a few years of travel instead of taking them all the way there, Q responds "What example would I be setting for my son if I did all the work for you?" and disappears. Episode titled "Q2". I actually enjoyed Voyager quite a bit.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

And thus the lung incident was never mentioned again, IIRC.

I can't remember the source, but I remember someone associated with the show saying how horrible that speech by Janeway turned out. Way too preachy or something.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I finally got season 3 in the mail today and now own the entire Voyager
series !
It amazes me already how many episodes I have never seen.

Ok, now back to watching more Voyager! :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Cloud. Janeway can't replicate a cup of coffee because energy's at a premium. She flies into what she thinks is a nebula and loses 11% of the energy reserves. Tom and Harry use the holodeck. She flies back in and loses another 9%. Everyone uses the holodeck. Now, maybe there's some nerd explanation--"the holodeck uses a different type of energy that's in abundance"--but the writers should at least say that in the episode.

I probably need to find a more appropriate thread in the TV and HDTV Programming section.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I am just about to finish up season #3 and have noticed a couple of strange things dealing with hair styles.

1. In a season 2 episode Captain Janeway appears to have the shorter hairstyle she has in the later seasons, but after that episode she goes back to he "bun style hair.

2. In the season #3 episode "Real Life" Kes has this long blonde hair, but it is never explained why. I almost did not recognize her !

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I don't think there was an in-universe answer, but the real world one is Jennifer Lien didn't want to go through the ear makeup if she was only going to have a short scene. Therefore, the hair was long so she wouldn't need the makeup.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

I remember that one-- I think that the name of it was "Parturition."

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've been watching Voyager a lot lately--especially this weekend--and am up through season three's Warlord now. I've really been enjoying it. I can recognize the oft-repeated weaknesses, but I really liked it when I watched straight through in syndication back in 1999 or 2000, and it's the same this time around. I get into it to the point where I'm wishing I could be on the ship (which I shouldn't admit, and in spite of all the explosions and incarcerations on alien planets). DS9 is still far and away my favorite, but I do like this better than the stuffy and PC TNG.

Anyway, not trying to start a debate. Just reporting in. I wish I had kept a record of when I've been watching so I would know how long it takes to get through the whole show. I have a record of my last run through all of the Stargate franchise as well as my last DS9 run, but I took a big break from Voyager and now I'm not sure when I started back up. Oh, well.

BTW, Amazon has the S1-S7 bundle at $261.49. That's six cents more than what I paid for all seven individually during the last big syfy sale.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

I've been watching Voyager a lot lately--especially this weekend--and am up through season three's Warlord now. I've really been enjoying it. I can recognize the oft-repeated weaknesses, but I really liked it when I watched straight through in syndication back in 1999 or 2000, and it's the same this time around. I get into it to the point where I'm wishing I could be on the ship (which I shouldn't admit, and in spite of all the explosions and incarcerations on alien planets). DS9 is still far and away my favorite, but I do like this better than the stuffy and PC TNG.

Anyway, not trying to start a debate. Just reporting in. I wish I had kept a record of when I've been watching so I would know how long it takes to get through the whole show. I have a record of my last run through all of the Stargate franchise as well as my last DS9 run, but I took a big break from Voyager and now I'm not sure when I started back up. Oh, well.

BTW, Amazon has the S1-S7 bundle at $261.49. That's six cents more than what I paid for all seven individually during the last big syfy sale.
Greg,

That's great that you're enjoying VOY. We finished the series a few months ago. It was a very enjoyable ride. We didn't want it to end. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by troy evans
I remember this differently. What happened was, He gives Janeway information to take Voyager home sooner as a token of his appreciation for Her help with His son. When she asks why he is only saving them a few years of travel instead of taking them all the way there, Q responds "What example would I be setting for my son if I did all the work for you?" and disappears. Episode titled "Q2". I actually enjoyed Voyager quite a bit.
That's the followup. The original conversation was in "The Q and the Gray," which I watched last night. Janeway having his baby was a condition of his sending the ship home, so I don't think you can blame her for turning him down in that instance. If he (or a more trustworthy Q) had said, "I'll send you and your crew home, no strings attached," I don't think she would have refused the offer because of a determination to do it the hard way.

If a Q had sent them home before Future's End, there would have been no independence for the Doctor and Annika would still be all Borged out in the Delta. I'm sure plenty of crewmen who died in the remaining years would still be alive, however.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I just finished my journey through seasons 1-7, and thought I'd chime in as well. Overall I enjoyed the run very much, and never could understand how it obtained such a bad reputation among hardcore Trekkers. There's a website that reviews all of the Trek shows, and the reviewer keeps repeating the same complaint in his ubiquitous 2- 2 1/2 star reviews: "Nothing groundbreaking." I'm sorry, but every episode of a long-running TV series CANNOT be groundbreaking, otherwise there would be no ground to stand on. I don't know what some people expect, and I sometimes think their memories of the original Trek series and TNG have turned rose-colored. All I hope for from a Voyager episode is an interesting story and to spend some time in the company of characters that I like. Most of the time I got what I needed. The final episode still left a sour aftertaste, however. Too many things left unsaid, and too much unfinished business.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by DaveHof

I just finished my journey through seasons 1-7, and thought I'd chime in as well. Overall I enjoyed the run very much, and never could understand how it obtained such a bad reputation among hardcore Trekkers. There's a website that reviews all of the Trek shows, and the reviewer keeps repeating the same complaint in his ubiquitous 2- 2 1/2 star reviews: "Nothing groundbreaking." I'm sorry, but every episode of a long-running TV series CANNOT be groundbreaking, otherwise there would be no ground to stand on. I don't know what some people expect, and I sometimes think their memories of the original Trek series and TNG have turned rose-colored. All I hope for from a Voyager episode is an interesting story and to spend some time in the company of characters that I like. Most of the time I got what I needed. The final episode still left a sour aftertaste, however. Too many things left unsaid, and too much unfinished business.
I can't speak for anyone else, but Voyager started with a fantastic premise-Caretaker is an awesome piece of work, IMHO. Kate Mulgrew is captivating, Roxann Dawson is a personal favorite...but there was way too much "reset button" type of episodes. Voyager is stranded away from starbases or repair facilities and the entire ship is in perfect condition nearly 100% of the time. The show made some half-hearted references to conserving energy and the like but not nearly enough. This should have been THE serialized show of the Trek universe, with recurring crew members through all seven seasons, major story arcs and that kind of thing.

Personally, I enjoyed the traitor arc in season 2. It felt organic and natural to the situation. I know the producers didn't like it at all, which is why they never did it again. Characters were completely left in the cold (Chakotay, Kim) to focus on the Doctor, Seven and Janeway. It became all about stunt casting and effects and battles with no long term consequences. That's why it kinda limped along, in my eyes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
On Macrocosm, which I watched last night, Janeway tells Neelix, "Your lungs are filling with fluid." He corrects her: "Lung."

I really appreciate that Paramount seems to have finally gotten the title sequence skip right. Voyager has a terrific title sequence, but I don't need to watch it every time. So far, every time I've skipped it, it's gone right to the correct spot. That couldn't be said about the TNG or DS9 boxes.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
More importantly, Paramount got the title-skip correct with the Enterprise discs, and thus, spared us from having to listen to that awful opening song in every episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks