What's new

Star Trek Voyager S3 coming (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
For those interested in Voyager, Season 2 is set for release May 18 as has been already announced. And it's been announcement Season 3 is set for release on July 6 and Season 4 a month later on August 3.

But I am posting because I thought that Season 3 will be interesting as it contains one episode of note, Flashback. The return of TOS actor George Takei recreating his role from Star Trek 6 to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Star Trek. While this show wasn't as fun as DS9's celebration with Trials and Tribulations, it still will be nice to have in a Trek fans collection.

There will be other shows in Season 3 that will be fun to see too, the introduction of Species 8472, the return of Q and the season cliffhanger "Scorpion" leading to the introduction of 7 of 9.

I wonder if the sales figures for Voyager are as bad as one member of this forum felt they would be?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I would have been likely to pick these up had the prices been lower. I thought Voyager was an OK Star Trek program, but it had many faults.

Not the least of which was dumping Jennifer Lien instead of Garret Wang when Jeri Ryan arrived.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I bought my only season of Voyager with season 1. I might check out the other seasons and the Special Features via Netflix. Too expensive for the quality of the show. Maybe $49.95 a season for voyager/Enterprise.

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm already saving my money to own the complete series that is Star Trek Voyager! It is my favorite Trek series (but, don't get me wrong, I love them all). My dad got me the first season for my birthday and the video and audio quality is astounding and the extras aren't bad either!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

I've been wondering what the sales figures have been. None of the established online retailers has ever listed these sets in their "Top-Selling Titles" lists, whereas all seven of the TNG boxsets were in, for example, DVD Empire's Top Ten upon release.

Given how poorly this show fared in the ratings and among the hardcore fan constituency, I'd doubt Paramount is going to go through several pressings of these sets.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Of course, you can say the same thing for DS9. I believe its ratings were lower than Voyager's when they were on concurrently, and Voyager moved more merchandise. It's why I thought Voyager might do better than expected, since it had a less-vocal but more active fanbase.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

A funny fact is that the very lame 'Flashback' was supposed to be the only episode celebrating the 30th anniversary.

They only asked Ira Steven Behr whether he too wanted to do "something" as an afterthought.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Really? I'd heard it as Behr going to Berman to get some extra money (or at least redistribute their budget a little), because the entire writing staff of DS9 were big TOS fans. They would have done something whether Paramount asked or not.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

I can't remember exactly how it came about, but one of the DS9 sets (season 5?) has extras that cover this.

-Scott

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The story is recounted in the extras, but I don't remember what was said. Here's a paragraph from the DS9 Companion:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just checked with the DS9 Companion and it was indeed Rick Berman who called Ira Behr to ask him if they would like to do something. Ira Behr felt that DS9 was considered the middle child and he saw all the 30th Anniversary stuff going on around him and figured they'd miss out on the fun. So when the call came, Ira Behr said he'd "talk to the guys". After much discussion Trails and Tribble-ations was lovingly concieved. The S-5 DS9 DVD does cover this as Scott says.

The Voyager writing group gave it a nice try with Flashback, but the hardcore fans at the DS9 writing and production staff outdid them I think. I do look forward to seeing Flashback as I've not seen it since it aired.

Edit- I see Greg S beat me to it!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't read the entire entry, but it appears there is some really interesting information in the Companion about this episode. Some early ideas are mentioned, such as having the crew travel to one of the TOS planets. Personally, I'd like to have seen them on Janus IV (may be the wrong number) checking up on the Hortas (but, not in place of the Tribbles episode). There was a novel about this, but it would have been cool on the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks