What's new

Star Trek Voyager disc eaten by DVD player! (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not sure this has been discussed before. Unlike other discussions of TV sets that come with a defective disc from the factory, I have a damaged disc in my Star Trek Voyager Season 6 set that was caused by the DVD player jamming.

My sad story begins with disc 4 being caught within the mechanism of my Pioneer DVL-700 LD/DVD player, which is not my primary HT player. When I opened the case cover, I could see that the disc was halfway caught between the disc mechanism that clamps the disc to the spindle and the drawer. It was flexing the disc. The disc clamp had left some small gouges on the plastic surface. I took an ancient bottle of Pro-Wipes disc cleaner and tried my best to clean it up. The gouges are too deep to fix.

I put the disc back in and played the same episode I had just been playing. Looks like I could be lucky, the teaser, the title credits and a short portion of the first act have some pixelation and sound drop outs, but is playable. I only watched about 10 minutes, other episodes could be affected. I'll check it in my other player later.

Anyone have suggestions for repairing the disc? I think it's pretty much toast. So the next question is, would Paramount be kind enough to sell me that disc? I also doubt that. I think if I really need to replace the disc, I'll need to buy another season set.

Nelson

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Nelson, I had a similar problem with one of the discs in my copy of the Have Gun, Will Travel S1 set last year. For some reason the disc would not play at all - and it was a brand-new disc at that, had not been handled, anything. I wound up e-mailing Paramount and asking them if they could replace the individual disc. They went one better and sent me an entire replacement set. Now that's a first class act on their part - very well done and very thoughtful. Contact Paramount's customer service department and explain what happened, and see what they say. They may send you an entire replacement set, you never know. Good luck!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Bill-

Glad you had such success with Paramount in getting your set replaced, that's great. I'll contact them and see what they can do.

Nelson

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Not that it's directly relevant, but Paramount UK has been quite good in replacing defective discs in my R2 collection of DS9. Although they require me to send the discs in first, presumably to verify the existence of the defect, before sending me the replacements. They never offered to replace the whole set, though, which would've been faster for my season five, where 6 out of 7 discs turned out to be defective and have been swapped...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks