What's new

Star Trek Voyager and TOS box sets? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
quite likely. The good news is that there will probably be some "fire sales" before the boxes

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
This is a case where I would have preferred the box sets but was not given the option. However, now I can't see the need to get rid of the 40-disc set and then spent more money to buy TOS again. I estimate I spent just under $500 to get them and all 3 seasons sold as sets would probably be $300. Even if I were able to sell mine for $300 I've lost $200. Not the first time I've lost money getting something early.

[url=http://members.aol.com/nightdog35/spidey_smiley.gif] [/url]

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
That's what I did Frank and the numbers are pretty accurate. The way I'm looking at it is I'm probably going to spend between $250-$300 (depending if Best Buy does bonus discs :)) for TOS box sets, so I'm still only spending the same money I originally spent but I'll have season sets with extras instead of the individual discs.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Please keep in mind that this hasn't been officially announced by Paramount. I emailed Martin about it and he said it was interesting speculation, but he has no official comment on the rumor.

2005 is a long way away.

Gord

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
In the mean time, my kids are being denied Spock et al b/c Paramount won't pony up the TOS sets...

So sad... :frowning:

Dan

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If I were to bet, I'd bet that TOS will be issued only as a repackaged set without extras. Same discs, new box. My thinking is that the cost to profit will not be seen as enough to warrent new discs with extras. Plus the cost of the licensing of the extra materials as has been mentioned already above could hinder it. Perhaps the farthest it will go are Best Buy bonus discs. And maybe as A@E has done with Space 1999, they sell that bonus disc on their site. But that's A@E's deal.

As much as I'd be willing to pay for extras, my guess is no extras. TOS is out there already now. But that's just my guess for now. It's not a sad thing, they have never looked or sounded so good before.

Nelson

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Nelson,

Thanks for the info re: THE ENEMY WITHIN.

And I think I was mistaken about the missing sound effect; if I remember correctly, the missing sound was in THE MENAGERIE but was restored for the corresponding scene in THE CAGE. I'll check just to be sure. I think it involved Spock admiring the "space flowers".

I didn't mean to sound so harsh, I'm not trying to heap criticism upon these discs that I love so much. I just wanted to point out a few possible areas of improvement.

If you have any other questions, I'll be sequestered for the next 7 days watching DS9 Season 4. :)

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff Kleist wrote:

I'd say that much of it hinges on Viacom aquiring Sci-Fi in the Universal sale
I was wondering when someone was going to mention this. If Viacom nabs Sci-Fi, then all those terrific interviews from the Star Trek: Special Edition would likely be available as fodder for DVD extras.

De

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I emailed Martin about it and he said it was interesting speculation, but he has no official comment on the rumor.
Well, given that every other time this notion has been raised Mr. Blythe denied it emphatically and declared that Paramount would never release TOS as in boxed sets - I'd say that's a classic "non-denial denial".

Voyager probably won't sell as well as the other series - so what? It will still sell enough for Paramount to make a profit, albeit a smaller one, at the same $149 MSRP price point as it did with the other shows. The show did manage to hang on for seven years on UPN, and has already made the studio a profit thanks to the TNN rerun deal. Anything they make on the DVDs will be gravy. The overall Trek audience is big enough that even if only a fraction of it shells out to own Voyager the studio will make out fine. The show is proof positive that you could stick a Trek label on a dead cat and somebody would buy it. (Quite a few somebodies, as it turns out.)

As for extras - I don't think ownership is that big an issue. Paramount owning Sci-Fi would not ensure that extras produced for the Sci-Fi channel would be made available, while somebody else ending up with SFC would not make it impossible for them to make a deal for any supplements they own. (I assume everyone is talking about the rather lame intros and wrap-arounds that were included when Sci-Fi first ran the restored and remastered episodes uncut in a 90 minute time slot.)

Regards,

Joe

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Having held off on the individual discs (I didn't fancy collecting 40 discs+cases), it'll be really nice to finally get boxsets. Count me in!

Curious that UK, long a strong market for home video, hasn't seen TOS in boxsets yet either, and AFAIK not even the 2-episode discs.

paul_austin

Second Unit
yay I hope this is true....i'll be picking up TOS season sets I never got around to gettting the dvd's because buying the laser discs hurt so much

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If you have not seen this already, check out the comments at The Digital Bits regarding his opinions for an Enterprise DVD release. Interesting read, though I'm sure many of you would strongly disagree. Also looks like there is still no hint that TOS will be re-released as season sets. Nor any news on The Animated Series.

The Digitsl Bits on Trek

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The show is proof positive that you could stick a Trek label on a dead cat and somebody would buy it
I'll be buying "Voyager", and it is not a "dead cat". I doubt I'd re-buy TOS in sets unless the extras were "extreme" in their specialness & it had a lot of episode commentaries. I already own all of the episodes that I'm interested in. And besides, I don't care to triple dip on TOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks