What's new

Star Trek Voyager - A Thread for Fans (1 Viewer)

Davin D

Agent
Jack,

I agree. If you want to draw out those with negative feelings towards a particular Star Trek show, just create a thread about how you like said show. It happened in the Enterprise thread and it happened here. I for one would be happier if they just created their own "Mirror" thread.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Davin, you guys gotta tell me what you want. Does the thread continue as is, or do we recast here and now by allowing only fans of this show post here. Let me know.

Oh, and I've been meaning to say this to Britton: nice sig image!

Davin D

Agent
Jack,

I've said my peace. I'll leave it up to the thread creator.

I don't want to stifle opinion, but sometimes a little courtesy by others would be nice.

Britton

Screenwriter

Thanks Jack, and the same to you as well. Yours has been a staple around these parts for a while.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Hmmm, taking on board the recent comments that this was supposed to be a thread discussing the positive aspects of Voyager, I realise that I seemed mostly negative.

I think the biggest problem was that Voyager, IMHO and I guess many if not most agree, simply wasn't as good as the other three. It wasn't crap per se, just "not as good", which led to disappointment amongst die-hard fans of TOS, TNG or DS9, whichever your favourite happens to be.

I will state, I enjoyed a good part of Voyager, especially in the later seasons, but a fair number of episodes were simply flat. Perhaps my inertia towards buying the Voyager DVDs is because of the tremendous outlay I've already expended on TOS, TNG and DS9, as well as the movies, and hence Voyager goes on the "maybe to buy" list, whereas had Voyager been a show judged solely on its own merits, without comparison to more illustrious forebears, I think it would be viewed more fondly by many.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
When Voyager was bad, it was really bad. And, it had more really bad episodes than the other Star Trek series.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
How interesting is a thread with only one viewpoint? Why is it that only on Trek threads do people get so offended by viewpoint that dont match their own that they want the thread closed???
What happened to a good debate?
How long do you think the thread will be with only, I love and I like comments???

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have actually enjoyed seeing why others didnt like Voyager. I don't mind posts like "I didin't like it because..." I just dont want post like "It sucked!".

Yee-Ming, You can get the entire 7 seasons for $485. That is much less than DS9 or TNG.

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Even Seinfeld is available for like 38 bucks a season...paying 485 is still robbery...no other series, and I mean NO OTHER ONE...has the nerve to charge what paramount charges for this...it's a rip (and I'm a fan, even of Voyager).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
My sentiments on Voyager pretty much sync up with that of most Trek fans.

However, I must be the only one who loved Year of Hell. Yes, it turns out none of it really "happens"- so what? It was a fun adventure.

There was a TNG episode where the Enterprise kept exploding until Data figured out how to stop it. Well I guess since it was a time loop they escaped, none of it really "happened" either, but it's still considered a fan favorite.

Also, I actually do remember them trading for supplies with other people, so that criticism doesn't make much sense.

And I agree that Mulgrew is given short shrift. With the right scripts, she could have been as good as Picard.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
I never had a problem with them not showing a lot of that stuff. It would get boring real quick showing the crew trading, fixing, etc every week.

For me, it was mostly the wild inconsistency of quality between episodes and the too much reset button usage that turned me off.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Who says it has to be every week? Watch the new Battlestar Galactica. They have to search for water or they will run out. Fuel because they need to find a way to their people. It's not done every week but you know that they do need these supplies to survive. Voyager, you never got the idea they were struggling; Unlimited Energy and food. Why even strange the ship on the other side of the galaxy if they had all the supplies of a regular ship with no Starfleet.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
I have watched BSG, thanks.

I can also guarantee you we will never, ever see another "Water" episode on BSG, or any other episode where they have to find That Sundry Item Such As Coffee That They Need To Survive. It gets old and tired, and dramatically, there's only so much a writer can do that isn't a rehash of some previous episode.

Did you notice in "The Hand of God" that the BSG now has enough Magical Stuff to last them for 13 years? Whee!

Anyhow, I'm not here to defend Voyager. I was merely stating that the Supply Problem wasn't really one of my gripes about the show. If it's one of yours, hey, great.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
DaveF- you specifically said "by itself." I took it to mean that, like most people, when the episode was over and everything was back to "normal," you ticked off. I just meant that I didn't and thought it was kinda cool.

I still consider Voyagaer the worst of the Treks, but YoH was something I happen to like. I also liked the 1st/2nd year story arc with the Cardassian spy who joined the Kazons(?).

I also thought that, looks aside, 7 of 9 was a terrible addition to the series. No fault of Jeri Ryan's or the idea of the character, just too much of the series became about her becoming human. I also thought it was stupid how they made her talk and act like a robot. Ok, it would make sense for a little while, but then the emotions would get to her more. And yes, the outfit was very stupid.

I don't why "character who acts like a robot" has to be in every show. I guess it's continuing the Spock tradition, and it makes sense with Data who is a robot, but Voyager had a robot (Tuvok is such a boring character that Voyager haters can't even summon enough hate to hate him) and then they added another robot!

And the borg kids? I mean, really...

I did like that Borg from the future they had in one episode.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

:lol:

I thought Tuvok was the most boring character in the history of Trek. I think Leonard Nimoy said it best once in an interview. All he saw was Tim Russ doing an impression of Spock and that pretty much says it all. There was nothing likable about his character and he was a big bore. At least Spock was half human.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Are we sure that just because a week had passed for us that only a week had passed for Voyager? They were like 75 years from home and 6 months could have passed from one episode to the next. They could have done all their trading, etc. in that time. I haven't seen Voyager for quite a while so I may just be blowing smoke. I don't know.

On another note, no matter what you thought of Voyager you've got to admit that the ship was pretty cool.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

It's not necessarily a week, but never six months. Each season of the show corresponds to one year in the Trek universe. You can follow along by their use of stardates. 1000 units = 1 year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks