What's new

Star Trek Voyager - A Thread for Fans (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There seems to be a few threads here that are about how much people (fans) disliked Star Trek Voyager. I want to post a thread for those of us that actually liked the series.

I was unable to watch most of this series when it was being aired because I didn’t have UPN. Because of this, and the negative things I have heard, I didn’t plan on buying the series on DVD. After all, $100 per season is a lot of money.

One day I happened to notice that a certain e-tailer had the entire series on sale for $385. This was about half of what the other series cost (They have since raised the price to $485 – guess it was a mistake). I went ahead and ordered it, and I have been pleasantly surprised, and glad that I did.

To me, this series was very different than the sterile, rigid, Next Generation series. I think a lot of the negative opinions of Voyager were because it was different. The fans didn’t like change. I was getting tired of the same old villains and rules, and was in the mood for the Star Trek world to expand. Voyager allowed this to be possible.

Right now I am a few discs in to Season 6. I have enjoyed the ride so far and am looking forward to them getting home. I did see the finale few episodes when they aired, so I know the ending, but now that I will have watched the whole series, I will be able to enjoy the finale even more I hope.

Are there any other people here that liked this series?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I will admit that I only started watching the series because I caught a pic of Jeri Ryan in a magazine and after I put my eyes back in my head I began watching, I thought it was a pretty good show personally.
If I had one complaint with the first three seasons or so it was that their message episodes (and that was a few) were quite often laborious, they would play out with some modern day moral parallel that was rather easy to understand but they would just bash you over the head with said message as if the viewer was a moron and couldn't understand...like "DO YOU GET IT!?!?! IT'S A MODERN DAY PARALLEL!! DO YOU GET IT?!?!? HUH!?!?" ;)

Apart from that when they were on their game it was a very enjoyable show with good characters.

Britton

Screenwriter

If I just read that statement by itself, I would swear you were talking about DS9.

The funny thing is that a common complaint people had with Voyager was that it was more of the same old, same old. I might be among the minority here, but I actually preferred the first 2 or 3 seasons to the rest of the show's run.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I thought that Voyager was (mostly) entertaining for the average Star Trek fan; it's main problem was that its character development suffered mightily compared to Deep Space Nine.

Every character on the DS9 series changed radically between its opening season and its concluding episode. The same could not be said of Voyager. Except for "the Doctor", and Seven of Nine, there just wasn't all that much character development for the principal cast members.

The series also suffered from some inconsistency. In most of the seasons we got 5 or 6 really tremendous episodes, about 10 average episodes, and around 10 below-average-to-poor episodes. That's a total of 20 episodes per season that were between poor-to-just a little above average. (I will say that the number of really poor episodes went steadily down each season, and that the seventh season was, by far, its most consistently entertaining season with not a single below-average ep the entire year. Had it not been for the "Borg Children" eps in the Sixth season, I would probably have enjoyed that season more.)

The other thing about Voyager was when it got it right, it was really good!

Here's a list of some of the episodes that I really enjoyed:

Season 1:
Caretaker ***
Faces ***1/2

Season 2:
Death Wish ***
Lifesigns **** (In my Top 25 for all Star Trek series combined.)
Tuvix ***1/2

Season 3:
Flashback (Sulu!) ***1/2
Future's End, Parts I and II ***1/2
Blood Fever ***1/2
Distant Origin ***
Scorpion Part I ****

Season 4:
Scorpion Part II ****
Day of Honor ***
Message in a Bottle **** (Top 25)
Living Witness ****

Season 5:
Drone ****
Timeless **** (In my personal Top Ten for all Star Trek series.)
Gravity ***1/2
Dark Frontier Parts One and Two ***
11:59 ****
Equinox Part One ***

Season 6:
Equinox Part Two ***
Barge of the Dead ****
Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy ****
One Small Step **** (In my Top Ten)
Pathfinder ****
Virtuoso ***
Muse ***
Life Line ****

Season 7: The Entire Season, but especially
Imperfection ***
Critical Care ***
Body and Soul ***
Shattered ***
Prophecy ***
The Void ***
Author, Author ****
Homestead ****
Endgame Parts One and Two ***

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
I also liked the series. I only got to see the first few seasons back then because my station stopped showing it or something. I can't exactly remember. Thanks to Spike TV I watched the enire series last year.

I guess the writing gets criticized alot but for some reason, when it comes to TV, I just don't get that deep. I just need to be entertained. Call me dumb. I just enjoy watching the world of Trek. I liked Voyager because to me it was more like TNG with a ship out uuhh..voyaging unlike DS9 which I stopped watching because it got too boring for me just being on a space station (of course after I stopped watching they brought in the Defiant). I gave DS9 another shot last year thanks again to Spike and enjoyed it more this time although I still think the first few seasons were blah.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Good to see others liked this show.

I do have a question for any Star Trek Geeks out there. Why is it that the crew of Voyager had to have replicator rations, and eat cooked food yet they had enough energy for the holodeck? Seems to me it would take less energy to make food than to run a holodeck.

LOL, leave it to me to ponder the details on a fictional world.

Britton

Screenwriter

The same reasons why:
1) the ship was in perfect condition at the start of each new story, despite there not being any maintainence facilities or the fact that the ship might have suffered damage in the previous episode/storyline

2) they never had to trade or scavenge for supplies

3) they seemed to have an infinite number of photon torpedos and shuttlecrafts

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

The non-sarcasm answer :): Would you believe the holodeck had its own power supply? Totally independent of and incompatible with the ship's other systems. I think they tried messing with it around Episode 4 but decided they couldn't siphon power because the energy signatures were just too different.

I cared very little for Voyager but it was entertaining. Like a chocolate bon bon, it was an easy enough guilty pleasure. Lifesigns was the best episode of the series, imho, and one of the ten best episodes of Trek ever. The show had promise, potential and some really cool ideas that were totally squandered. I sometimes wonder what Voyager would have been like had the DS9 folks gotten ahold of it. Talk about tension between the Maquis and the Federation!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know this is a fan thread. And I own every season of Voyager on dvd. But, I have one beef and its a doosey. I felt very cheated by the end of Voyager. You spend 7 years investing time with a show and its characters. And I was hoping they would arrive home with 2 or 3 episodes left. And use that time to show the consequences and ramifications of their 7 year absence. They had some many great storylines they could have worked with...what happens to the Maquis crew? The Doctor? etc. All the other criticisms people make I can deal with. This too me was the biggest mistake the producers made.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I think everyone wanted this. Ashame. There are books out there that finish the story where the show did not.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the show during it's run, although I am fully aware of it's problems. I am not at all a Star Trek fan, don't care one bit for the Klingons, Vulcans and whatever else, so I liked that they were far far away.

I never religiously watched it, but caught a good many reruns late night on UPN. My favorite episodes:

- the one with the Omega particle (AWESOME concept)
- the one where the ship crashes onto an ice planet. It involves time travel.
- the one where the crew turns out to be a copy of the real thing
- the one with the memorial that forces people to experience the horrible events that took place there.
- A couple of borg and/or species 4271 (2471? 8274? 1234?) episodes

There's a few others.

--
H

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
There are some very good episodes of Voyager but what made them less effective is that the things that happened in an episode were not carried over. They were forgotten by the next episode.
Did we ever really get to know the characters in Seven years? Except for Seven and the Doctor, did anyone really evolved?

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
Those episodes would be...

The Omega Directive
Timeless
Course: Oblivion
Memorial

Of course the Borg and Species 8472 episodes have a fair share to name, so I'll just leave them alone.:D

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I think we did get to know all the characters. Seven and the Doc evolved the most, but I think they did a good job of giving all the other characters a depth.

I think that the characters in Voyager evolved more and seemed deeper than the sanitized characters on TNG.

As for the comment about the seemingly unlimited shuttles and torpedos, they did mention that they could build them (replicating the parts) as long as they had energy. There we a number of episodes dealing with their ongoing search for dilythium (or whatever) that they need. They also traded with every non-hostile race they came across.

As far as the seemingly quick repairs, there where 150 people on board. Guess they kept them busy :)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Concerning the shuttles: It should be pointed out that there were at least two episodes that dealt with the building of "Delta Flyers", which were sort of a "Super Shuttle for the Delta Quadrant". Since they aptly demonstrated in those eps that they could build these "Super Shuttles" out of available raw materials and replicator energy, it's not too much of a stretch to believe that they could replicate spare parts to build standard shuttles anytime they wanted to.

Besides, it should be remembered that Voyager(the ship) was built such that it could endure "long" deep space missions (which would explain why the ship always looked "new" for most episodes.) It *was* possible to damage the ship beyond the crews' ability to repair it though, such as in the multi-part episode "The Year of Hell".

Britton

Screenwriter

But remember, that episode never really happened. :)

I watched Voyager and for the most part enjoyed it. However, I just felt a bit let down that they didn't go all the way with the concept of having a crew of rebels aboard and the fact that Voyager was all alone out there. They should have had a much rougher time getting home. At least they should have offed Harry Kim (and when I say that, I mean they should have killed him twice since he was replaced by the duplicate from that one episode). I guess that was the plan until he got on People's 50 most beautiful and instead they deep spaced Jennifer Lien.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was never bothered by how the Maquis acted onboard Voyager. Remember, these weren't terrorists who hated the Federation. They were opposed to the Cardassian occupation of their worlds. Granted, they would attack a Federation target if it would further their needs. But, they were not out to destroy the Federation. Also, a lot of Maquis were former Starfleet officers. So they still have a semi-allegiance to them. That being said their would be no sustainable reason they wouldn't work with the Starfleet crew to get home.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

One ship against the Borg and there ship looked grand spanking new all the time. Remember what the Borg did to the Enterprise? They changed the rules as they went.

Britton

Screenwriter

I fully agree that at some point they'd start getting along, but when they got one of the main selling points of the show (conflict among the crew) out of the way by the second episode, it was a sign that Voyager would be the same old, same old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks