What's new

Star Trek V & VI CE ???? (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Also the scene where Spock, Valeris and Scotty are talking just before Kirk's trial is an extra scene. Kim Catrall didn't like that they cut it out initially, as she really liked sliding down the pole. Read that anyway you want to. :)

The Star Trek VI DVD needs to present the film at the theatrical ratio of 2.35:1, be anamorphic and offer seamless branching so that both versions can be viewed. I really want to experience the original cut again.

Neil

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
This is from the IMDB...hope it helps.

The original theatrical release (U.S.) did not include the portion of the scene in the Federation President's office where Col. West outlined his plan to rescue Kirk & McCoy. Also at the climax of the film, the bit where the Klingon assassin is revealed to be none other than Col. West was not included.

The original ending credits, after the sign-off, has a blue/white background with a Starfleet Logo as a watermark. The left side was blue with white lettering, and the right side was white with blue lettering.

Additional inclusions for home video include extra dialog for Spock in the top brass meeting and a scene where Scotty verifies torpedo inventory, Valaris mentions the Chancelor's daughter has succeeded her dead father (she heard it on "the news") and Scotty mentions that the daughter never cried over the death of her father. Spock also mentions that Klingons have no tear ducts
I've never seen the TE only the special home video edition. I just hope that whatever they release will be in it's correct ratio.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
So the fact that it's Nick Meyer's preferred ratio has no bearing?

I really want to experience the original cut again
Press fast forward. Like with Star Trek 2, who cares about the theatrical cut. It's true it's not as good as the ST2 stuff was, but it's the cut Meyer wants, it's what you should be looking at

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
If that's how he wants it displayed that is cool with me.
Is it, though? I believe the original DVD used the laserdisc transfer. At the time, Paramount was sometimes known for presenting some of their films on LD in widescreen, but in the wrong ratio. The only other one I know for sure that they did this on was Top Gun, but I think there were a couple others.

Of course, both Top Gun and Star Trek VI were filmed in Super35, so the 2:1 ratios on disc were opened up a bit on the top and bottom from the theatrical ratios. If this is Meyer's preferred ratio for Trek VI, then I'll probably be okay with it, but I always thought it was Paramount trying to make it "less wide."

I could be wrong, though. Paramount's done fairly well on the Trek SEs so far, so I'm sure they'll get it right.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Funny, in an interview with Meyer in an issue of American Cinematographer, he discusses his use of Super-35 on Trek VI, but never mentions that he doesn't like the 2.35:1 ratio.

Neil

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Like with Star Trek 2, who cares about the theatrical cut. It's true it's not as good as the ST2 stuff was, but it's the cut Meyer wants, it's what you should be looking at.
Where's Meyer say the Scooby Doo ending is his prefered cut? I'm honestly curious, since I'd always figured if it was, indeed, his preference, the video would have been labeled "Director's Cut" rather than "Special Home-Video Edition". Can you cite a source?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jay Roach never mentioned that he didn't like 2.35:1 on Austin Powers either. He just thought it was nice to "open it up a bit"

I remember reading an interview with Nick Meyer in some magazine at the time which mentioned that they had the extra scenes that'd be going in on home video, and that like with Trek 2, he regretted cutting them.

The moral of the story: Super35 bad!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Like with Star Trek 2, who cares about the theatrical cut. It's true it's not as good as the ST2 stuff was, but it's the cut Meyer wants, it's what you should be looking at
I suppose you are also for Lucas abandoning the original, theatrical cuts of SW, ESB, and ROTJ based on this rationale?

Honestly, I've never understood this line of thinking. The extra material added to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan didn't do a thing for me. Neither did any extra material Cameron added back into Aliens. In fact, it made the movie worse for it.

More is not automatically better, and directors are not perfect. Just because someone has changed their minds or has a bone to pick with the way a studio released their film doesn't mean I should have to watch it any other way than I enjoyed it the first time.

Now that's not to say never release a "director's cut", but give me a choice.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

Reminds me of the first Sex and the City episode I saw on HBO. It involved Kim Catrall sliding down a fire station pole.

I had to re-write that last sentence about 5 times so it wouldn't come off as being dirty. :)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
As long as VI hits with a lovely new 2.35:1 transfer, I'll be very happy. I hope that the original theatrical composition will survive, even if the original version does not. I'm just stoked that this movie is finally getting an SE! I think I'll also get V, just for Shatner's input. Will we see a sincere side to the Shat, what with him talking about his precious movie? Or will he be in his usual self-righteous 'I'm the king of the world!' persona? Somehow, I think it'll be the latter. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks