Star Trek V: the audio commentary of the audio commentary

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Play Cole is proud to introduce audio commentaries of audio commentaries.

Yes, we're the first. We watched William Shatner's "Star Trek V" with the director's commentary hoping he might explain the intentions behind the worst Star Trek film ever made. He didn't. But we did. We recorded an mp3 of our thoughts listening to his commentary. The result is a cross between MST3K and outright confusion.

To fully enjoy this commentary, watch the dvd of Star Trek V with William Shatner's commentary AS SOON AS YOU PLAY THE PODCAST.

If you don't, well, it's still pretty funny.

http://www.playcole.com/Movie%20NetCasts.htm

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That sounds funny. . .but you obviously haven't seen Star Trek VII: Generations if you think that V is the worst!

[email protected]

Second Unit
Remember the teaser poster for this? It had the tagline, "Why are they putting seatbelts in theaters this summer?" And of course the answer was, "To keep people from walking out."

But the one thing I can say for V is that it focuses almost entirely on the trio of Kirk, Spock, and Bones. And by this point, everyone was comfortable enough in their respective roles to just roll with it. It's almost the polar opposite of ST:TMP, which has a much better story, yet no one looks like they're having any fun.

It's also a bit like watching "Spock's Brain". You know it's bad, but it's still campy enough to have its moments. If only they'd included that rock monster...

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Yeah, this is far from the worst Star Trek movie ever made. And personally, any Trek movie that has James T. Kirk stepping up to an incredibly powerful creature and demanding "Why does God need a space ship?" is all right by me!

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Aaron, but "Generations" is nowhere near the disaster that "The Final Frontier" was. At least VII had cool visual effects from Industrial Light & Magic! All "V" had was a terrific score by the late great Jerry Goldsmith.

Cheap sets. Campy Klingons. Dumb jokes. Bad SCIENCE...center of the galaxy thousands of light years away reached in hours? Deck 78? A new Enterprise that was THAT badly broken down that SOMEHOW it caused a voice log recorder to fall apart?

Lets not forget the "special visual effects" that would make the late Ed Wood cringe. Associates and Ferren should have been sued.

"Generations" may have had problems but its Shakespeare compared to that.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

But at least V was internally consistent. VII doesn't make sense even within its own premise -- why is Soren blowing up stars to get into the rift when he could just fly a spaceship into it? Well, Data says no ship can survive in the rift. And yet at the beginning of the movie both Soren and Kirk entered the rift while on spaceships.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Well, for one thing no one knew Kirk "survived" in the Nexus.
Soran and the other El Aurian refugees "phased" into the rift while their ship was still intact.
The ribbon heavily damaged the Enterprise-B and destroyed the El Aurian refugee ships. Soran wasn't going to take the chance that his ship would be destroyed before he could accomplish his mission.

The only thing V was consistent with was badness. It's almost not "canon", it's pretty much ignored across the board by all subsequent Trek. Even Kirk's half hearted Klingon salute was rendered moot by "Undiscovered Country"

andySu

Effects Supervisor
I first saw Star Trek V the Final Frontier and the CIC Empire Leicester square in London, Sunday October 8th 1989. This was along with all the rest of the Star Trek films up until that time where shown in 70mm Dolby Stereo THX, expect Star Trek the Motion Picture which was only presented in 35mm Dolby Stereo A type.

I have to say when Star Trek V played for the first time towards the end of the day, what a blast it was I really liked it, I really enjoyed it was cool in 70mm Dolby Stereo THX very cool. You see it could have been a lot worse if I haven’t seen it in THX, THX can make naff film look great and sound great Star Trek V rules in 70mm THX!

andySu

Effects Supervisor
I find this audio commentary on Star Trek V cool, it’s a petty I haven’t plugged it into the Kenwood AVR, so I can play these jokers in THX! NOT!

andySu

Effects Supervisor
In fact I think Star Trek V had the most cool amount of dialogue panning that was used in a live action film that year, with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade coming in second, well maybe first position, and at the same cinema in THX!

Star Trek V should have been nominated for best sound and sound effects editing, except for visual effects, they where really bad!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I'll give you that Generations had better special effects, but everything about it was incredibly stupid, and for the most part it took itself way too seriously. In terms of its premise and story (not to mention the astonishingly dumb way they decided to kill off Kirk, which was only enhanced in its dumbness by the fact that they first killed him off in a somewhat appropriate way, then brought him back so they could kill him For Real This Time in the most idiotic possible manner), it's so much worse than every other Trek film that it needs its own category of badness. Reading the word "Shakespeare" in the same sentence makes my eyes bleed.

(BTW, "bad science" is not the way to go when trying to compare something unfavorably to Generations.)

I think the only movie I've ever seen in a cinema that disappointed me as much as Generations did was probably The Jerky Boys Movie. (HA! Thought you'd wiped that one from your memory, didn't ya?
)

The Final Frontier was not exactly a classic, but it at least had a sense of goofy fun that provided for *some* entertainment value, of which Generations had none whatsoever.

Excuse me, I have to go wash my hands now. I feel dirty from typing the word "Generations" so many times. . .

[email protected]

Second Unit

I think that basically sums up why the Next Generation films never connected with mainstream audiences. They were missing that core relationship of Kirk/Spock/McCoy that was always at the heart of the original crew, and the sense of fun that made Voyage Home the highest grosser.

The biggest mistake with Generations (aside from the lousy Kirk death), was probably the decision to refuse Nimoy's input.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

See I came into this thread thinking that it was about the Rifftrax. Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy (Tom Servo) do a fantastic job on this one, I would say at the moment it is my favourite rifftrax so far. Got 5th Element, Matrix, X-Men, Top Gun and Cocktail, though they are all very funny.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Well, V had the nakedest moment in any Star Trek movie, in that we got to see an aging Nichelle Nichols take all her clothes off and sing her siren song. Yet, the bad guys that ran after her weren't trying to jump her bones; they were running to put some clothes on her.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Oh I know, I've spent the last few days trying to figure out how to extract and add the forced subtitles to my new disc image. I reauthor my DVDs to include the rifftrax audio, but these subtitles are getting the better of me!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro