What's new

Star Trek : Two new Animated Series announced (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek: Lower Decks will premiere on August 6, on CBS All Access:

Looks like it’s gonna be set in 2380, one year after Star Trek: Nemesis, and about seven years prior to the Romulus-supernova.
So apparently Starfleet had yet another uniform change between the First Contact through Nemesis era uniforms and the uniforms in use when Picard resigned his commission in 2387.

Maybe the Federation would have had the resources to save the Romulans if they weren't replacing the uniforms across the entire fleet a couple times each decade! :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Trailer:

I think the thing that surprised me most about the trailer was just how consistent it was with the live action shows. I think I was expecting something insane like "Rick & Morty". I could believe that this is more or less what a run-of-the-mill ship in the fleet, that gets the less prestigious assignments, would be like. The bridge crew actually seems competent; the only characters who act unprofessionally in the trailer are the ensigns who have been relegated to the lower decks. For all we know, the this kind of shit happens on the lower decks all of the time, and we just don't see it on the other shows that have their focus elsewhere.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s on Nickelodeon because a) that’s part of the Viacom family and b) the age group they’re targeting. The idea is to expand the audience by meeting them where they’re at.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I wonder where it will be available after new episodes drop. I don't have any television package, so unless Prodigy manages to find its way onto CBS AA or somewhere else, I'll sit it out. If CBS AA is going to continue to say it's the place to see all Trek shows in one place, then, logically, Prodigy is going to have to be on the service at some point.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The thing about "Lower Decks" is that its protagonists are among the least consequential officers on a starship primarily assigned to bureaucratic support missions. If the show offends your sensibilities of what Star Trek is or should be, it'll be easy enough to ignore since I highly doubt it will have major impacts on the rest of the canon.

It’s on Nickelodeon because a) that’s part of the Viacom family and b) the age group they’re targeting. The idea is to expand the audience by meeting them where they’re at.
I would bet on it also eventually being available via the enhanced, renamed version of CBS All Access that will combine the CBS Corp. assets and the Viacom assets along with the other Viacom shows.

The premise reminds me a lot of the old Nickelodeon show "Space Cases", also about a group of teenagers on a stolen starship.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, the year in which Lower Decks is set (2380) is likewise the year in which the Romulus-supernova is discovered to be an impending galactic event, as well as the year in which Admiral Picard and Starfleet commence the massive, years-long evacuation mission, so we might see things take a much more serious turn on that front, as well.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks