What's new

Star Trek: TOS: The Roddenberry Vault Season One (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks for passing along that info Josh.

Definitely sounds more enticing but I'll wait for reviews from fellow HTFer's who do pick up the set.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh, I'd be curious if you'd have time to post on the Scott Atwell Star Trek thread about your convention experience this weekend.

Just put up a post about the first day of the convention on the Atwell thread - will try to get to the other two days as time permits.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Right, seven and five from the first two seasons. I only mentioned Elaan of Troyius because there was a well-known scene filmed and cut from that one. I wonder if they found that one and decided that they would stick with more popular episodes, or if they just don't have it. (Operation: Annihilate is included, so I'm leaning toward the latter explanation.)

When Gene and Majel stole these clips from the Desilu/Paramount vault, their intention was to cut them up into "film clip" packets to sell through Lincoln Enterprises, the mail order company he started up "to give Majel something to do".

So, it's quite likely that the outtakes for Elaan that you are referring to were cut up and sold as souvenirs by Lincoln.

Despite this wonderful find, it still burns my toast that Gene and Majel were allowed to get away with this. Just think of all the valuable unused footage that got (literally) cut to pieces just to make them a fast buck. Perhaps the biggest loss (to me) is all the extra footage from the first pilot that the studio had considered adding back in and selling as a theatrical, until NBC gave the go-ahead for a second pilot.

It should also be noted that Lincoln Enterprises (somehow) were allowed to get their hands on the dalies for The Motion Picture, so there's a very good chance that a lot of unique footage (such as for the abandoned Memory Wall sequence) was likewise cut-up and sold at conventions by them.

Rant over!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
To clarify slightly, most of these twelve episodes are from season one, but there's a handful from season two in there as well. Nothing from season three.

I believe this is because Roddenberry had nothing to do with the third season. He was so disillusioned by NBC moving the show to Friday at 10pm, he walked away from the show.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have TOS blu rays so this means I'd be paying $77 for the extras. This will have to drop to $40 or less for me to consider it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I believe this is because Roddenberry had nothing to do with the third season. He was so disillusioned by NBC moving the show to Friday at 10pm, he walked away from the show.
The IDIC was specifically designed to be sold through Lincoln Enterprises ...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It'll be $39.99 on street date I'd wager. When was the last time any of us paid list???

I would say quite a few people who ordered the ST 50th from Amazon and absolutely refuse to change their orders to any of the other stores.
$210 on Day 1 of preorder at Amazon, $210 today at Amazon, and they;re not shipping yet. $110-140 at almost every other online store and most B&M that actually have stock

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Current Price -- Amazon still at MSRP $77

Bullmoose.com $56
BN.com $51
BBY $55
Deep Discount $56

Amazon UK -- £26.18 (approx $30 shipped) -- down £10 over the last 36 hrs.

The latter is interesting -- Paramount has been exclusively Region Free in the past and for the most part even the exact same discs worldwide as used in the US other than the local screen art. No way to tell more for now, but there is a local UK store already with £19.99 price and this is a store AmazonUk often matches so potentially a further drop putting it squarely in $22-25 delivered depending on what the exchange rate does over the next 8 weeks

Amazon.de -- Exclusive Steelbook 34EUR (approx $37 shipped)

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Current Price -- Amazon still at MSRP $77

Bullmoose.com $56
BN.com $51
BBY $55
Deep Discount $56

Amazon UK -- £26.18 (approx $30 shipped) -- down £10 over the last 36 hrs.

The latter is interesting -- Paramount has been exclusively Region Free in the past and for the most part even the exact same discs worldwide as used in the US other than the local screen art. No way to tell more for now, but there is a local UK store already with £19.99 price and this is a store AmazonUk often matches so potentially a further drop putting it squarely in $22-25 delivered depending on what the exchange rate does over the next 8 weeks

Amazon.de -- Exclusive Steelbook 34EUR (approx $37 shipped)

Good to know! I've been eyeing the tng and enterprise blu ray sets from the U.K. As well. Much cheaper and region free.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good to know! I've been eyeing the tng and enterprise blu ray sets from the U.K. As well. Much cheaper and region free.

I finally broke down and got both of those. I ordered TNG just a couple weeks before they dropped the list from 54 to 44 though it's just hard to feel too bad about $63 for 7 seasons of TNG and about 40 for Enterprise. The exchange rate is now about 8-9 cents lower than a few weeks ago

With dwindling chances of DS9 and Voyager the R2 DVD boxsets keep popping on my radar

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I finally broke down and got both of those. I ordered TNG just a couple weeks before they dropped the list from 54 to 44 though it's just hard to feel too bad about $63 for 7 seasons of TNG and about 40 for Enterprise. The exchange rate is now about 8-9 cents lower than a few weeks ago

With dwindling chances of DS9 and Voyager the R2 DVD boxsets keep popping on my radar

Agreed.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This is certainly not a problem at all with the Star Trek TNG Blu ray set that I bought from Amazon uk. It is region free and plays perfectly on my PS3 and 3 other players, even the two cheap ones that I only payed about $50 each for. The sound is certainly not speed up at all.
I once purchased a copy of Mae Wests "She Done Him Wrong" from a table at a movie festival in Syracuse N Y. It was only available in Britain as far as I knew. It certainly plays too fast, and is especially notable in any musical numbers.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is certainly not a problem at all with the Star Trek TNG Blu ray set that I bought from Amazon uk. It is region free and plays perfectly on my PS3 and 3 other players, even the two cheap ones that I only payed about $50 each for. The sound is certainly not speed up at all.
I once purchased a copy of Mae Wests "She Done Him Wrong" from a table at a movie festival in Syracuse N Y. It was only available in Britain as far as I knew. It certainly plays too fast, and is especially notable in any musical numbers.

The prior ST blurays aren't going to be a problem since they're 1080p/24 and Region Free. The Roddenberry set is unknown, but very likely will be US friendly too

It's the DVDs that aren't US friendly though I'm region free anyway -- DS9 and Voyager aren't on Bluray and aren't likely to be for a long time if ever. These are later high profile DVDs so it's possible they pitch corrected them like they do for many releases

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

PAL speedup is only a problem with standard-definition material (PAL VHS and DVD, or PAL material on a blu-ray). High-definition material does not suffer from this problem.

Also, it's only a problem if the PAL DVDs were sourced from masters that came from film transfers (the 24fps film needing to be sped-up to 25fps to match their 50hz framerate). This is why "shot on video" shows do not have this problem.

Since 24fps is part of the blu-ray specification (in addition to 50hz and 60hz), most blu-rays in any part of the world that came from 24fps film will be 24fps on blu-ray. It still has to be sped-up for DVD in PAL countries, though).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
It's the DVDs that aren't US friendly though I'm region free anyway -- DS9 and Voyager aren't on Bluray and aren't likely to be for a long time if ever. These are later high profile DVDs so it's possible they pitch corrected them like they do for many releases

I'm no expert, but I thought pitch-correction for PAL DVDs was mostly limited to big-studio blockbuster releases (like the Lord of the Rings films. While it's possible this was done, I certainly wouldn't bank on it. We all know Paramount sometimes likes to pinch pennies.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm no expert, but I thought pitch-correction for PAL DVDs was mostly limited to big-studio blockbuster releases (like the Lord of the Rings films. While it's possible this was done, I certainly wouldn't bank on it. We all know Paramount sometimes likes to pinch pennies.

I know some Blurays have been corrected with going from PAL SD to 24fps (Doctor Who particularly), but I'm note sure how common that was with DVD and if/when it started. I'd bet the ST TV DVD series weren't 12 years ago, but I can't find confirmation one way or the otehr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks