What's new

Star Trek TOS Special Edition Starts Sept 16th. (1 Viewer)

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
I remember there being a comic, released in the late eighties that dealt with the very end of the five year mission and included Commander Decker as part of the crew, and did in fact establish that he was Commodore Decker's (from The Doomsday Machine) son.

I can't remember what is was called though.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
amazon.com's marketplace. but i bought the copy... so it's backup to current price :D. u must pay attention as i always do. i get great deals. all my BDs are either 10 or 13 delivered. no more.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I caught the broadcast of The Cage last night, it's run at midnight here in my area.

I had not watched any recent airings of TOS-R because the DVD's came out and the episodes aired are so cut up!

I had not known that my CW affiliate finally is broadcasting Star Trek in HD, probably 720p. Perhaps it was only The Cage. What a surprise! It looked great! I'll compare it to The Menagerie in the blu ray TOS S1 set.

I was not surprised it was edited, but I was surprised how much they cut! It was very well edited. I lost count as I stopped paying attention, but they cut the jump to warp factor, after they beam down, they cut the singing flowers, the fight on Rigel with the warrior, and many little snippets along the way. Amazing! I feel bad for those first time viewers.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Nelson,

I feel your pain! The last two remastered syndicated versions that I attempted to view -- "Doomsday" and "Catspaw" -- were so cut-up that I couldn't stand it anymore! That's when I caved and purchased the Second Season DVD Remastered set. (It helped that Costco had the set on sale at a great price.) Really, the only way that Star Trek should be viewed at this point is via the new Blu-ray set!!

Of course, I realize that you viewed the syndicated iteration of "The Cage" just to see what the "Newbies" experience might be. It probably won't phase them too much since they are weaned on a faster paced show. But they'll be *shocked* at what was cut out if they ever get around to purchasing the series.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Joseph, I wasn't planning on watching it, but I was curious. When it was in HD, it sucked me in and I decided to watch more because it looked so good!

I realize of course that The Cage had to be cut down in order to fit within a 60 minute block of time, so that brought closer to 50 minutes. The commercial blocks were not that long.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Thanks for the information on this wonderful episode. I own four copies (b&w, color, extended, etc.) of The Cage! Personally, I like the extended footage version -- the one hosted by Gene Roddenberry that came out several years ago. Besides the additional aliens footage, we have the original (I think) voice work done for Meg Wylie et al. that is IMO far more menacing (and equally incongruous since a male is matted aurally over a female visually) than the voices that eventually made the cut; and the wonderful segment -- missing in at least one of the versions -- of the assimilation of the Enterprise's data. That segment really makes the scene much more understandable when experienced in context (i.e., when it is not omitted).

BTW, whenever I watch The Cage, I wonder what ever happen to jackets that the away team wore? You don't see them again until (I think) The Wrath of Khan. I really liked that look. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

In the original Cage, the voice was originally done by the guy who played Commodore Mendez, Malachi Throne. When he came on to do the Mendez part in The Menagerie, they electronically stepped up the Keeper's voice track to make it higher pitched in the scenes used in that show.

In the first versions of The Cage available on video, it was assumed the voice was redubbed and not processed and they left the additional lines of the keeper unprocessed to match it (so he switched occasionally from a higher pitched voice to a lower one).

In these remastered versions, they have processed the remaining lines to match the Menagerie version. Though I wish I could hear the entire thing with the unprocessed voice track as they had originally intended for The Cage.

When I saw that The Cage was in a 1 hour time slot, I knew it would be minced
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure Scott!, Though I'm not sure what I did!

I am not that fully versed with the differences of the black and white/color hybrid version over the full color version. I always watch the full color version. Yesterday I did play the remastered DVD of the Cage and I did hear the unaltered voice of the keeper in one short clip.

I didn't think there was any difference in the content between the all color version found in the late 80's and the older black and white/color version. I have the laserdisc of both versions at my finger tips. The black and white/color version on LD is dated 1986. The full color LD is dated 1989. The liner notes say the lost color footage was found in 1988 and used to create the restored full color version.

The "extended version" therefore is a bit confusing for me. As I don't watch both versions that much. But I thought the extended was just marketing terms used to differentiate the black and white/color version with the Gene Roddenberry intro.

I think there is someone here who really knows the differences. I may have to play these versions and see for myself! I believe he was disappointed that a third version has not been released. I recall reading this in Trekweb. Further study may be needed. But as far as I know, there is two versions going back to 1986 and then 1989 that was available to consumers. Perhaps the third version is the full black and white Gene Roddenberry copy that he used to show during his college tours, and I did see that way back in 1979 or 1980.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

The black and white version was simply the personal print of the final cut that Gene Roddenberry had. The color final cut of the pilot was given over to the editors when they were assembling "The Menagerie". They discarded the footage they didn't use for "The Menagerie" (or at least didn't care what happened to it, it was lost for a while).

The print shown at functions that GR went to was his personal print of the final cut. Come the 1980's, Paramount wanted to release "The Cage" in video. So, they did a composite of the available color footage from The Menagerie filled in with the black and white scenes from GR's personal print of the discarded color scenes.

Then, by accident, the color scenes were found (the story is floating around the web somewhere) but they had no soundtrack. The only available soundtrack remains from GR's personal print.

They later made the color version of The Cage available on video and they had a syndicated special to show it. I think that there were initially a few seconds of footage they either weren't able to recover or if they did it was in poor shape because there is a weird reuse of footage after Pike says "They can't see through hate". But (I have to look at it again) I don't remember the version on the remastered set having the repeated footage.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I wish the Patrick Stewart intros from the original tv showing were included. (There were also interviews with the cast.) It only saw release as part of one of the TOS Japanese Laserdisc box sets.

Ockeghem, the away team jackets first resurfaced in TMP.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks