What's new

Star Trek TOS Special Edition Starts Sept 16th. (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

You're welcome. I appreciate seeing your images for the remastered episodes. :emoji_thumbsup:

One of the things I love about Spectre Of the Gun (first produced third season episode, but not the first aired) is the 'out' the Melkots gave Kirk and crew. And this episode also has one of those gems as far as Kirk's (or rather, Shatner's) acting is concerned. It occurs when Spock is trying to explain to him that the physical laws must apply (the 'staggering contradiction' context); Kirk hears Spock, but is not listening to Spock. It will sink in later, but not at the moment Spock is saying it. Shatner pulls this off very well, and I believe it only happens about four or five times in the series. I'll have to recall a few of the other times this occurs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek Remastered will air Turnabout Intruder this weekend August 2, this is the last filmed and originally aired episode and the end of the Remastered shows too!

We'll, not exactly the end. The Cage has still not aired. Not sure when. Trekmovie reports it will air.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
TrekMovie has their review of The Empath. Looks like they reduced the rolling effect during the recovery scenes with Gem. Always loved this episode. Its full of great character moments.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I missed The Empath!:frowning: From the description at Trekmovie, it sounded like they digitally blended, or morphed the effect when Gem takes on McCoy's injuries. I agree it was a great episode.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Indeed - Spock's reaction to McCoys sneak hypo shot, McCoy's observation of Spock's bedside manner, and the reaction from Gem when she touches Spock.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's all folks for Remastered Star Trek TOS, Turnabout Intruder just aired in the San Francisco Bay Area. The only thing left to air is The Cage.

This episode had very little in the way of effects. I saw most of it, and it looks like they left the transference effect as it was. I do like the new ship CGI shots for the most part. They still suffer from some awkward compositions and what look like shortcuts. Some shots the ship's perspective and course of flight don't match the position of planets and such. But minor.

I was wondering if they might do anything special and I was right. They had one nice, though awkward angle, of the Enterprise flying off into astronomical sunset. TNG did it better, but I like that they did do something. See screen captures below.

Two bits of trivia. I recall reading many years ago that William Shatner had a disagreement with the director with the briefing room scene. After Lester/Kirk has her hysterical tirade with Spock, Lester/Kirk storms off to the left, but the door was to the right of the set. Shatner (and according to Memory Alpha wiki, the rest of the cast also argued about this) lost the argument with Herb Wallerstein and went stage left. Shatner felt that the fans would know there is no door to the left and it showed they all still cared.

Turns out that someone important to Star Trek also happen to pass away the week before this episode aired. Anyone know? And in addition, what caused this episode to be pre-empted and delayed it's broadcast from May to June?

For the longest time, I thought this episode was delayed in filming because of the uncertainty of whether the series would go on for a fourth season, which was why Majel Barrett's hair wasn't blonde here. But I guess I was wrong.

Here are two screen caps, the first shot of the episode in orbit and the last shot of the series:
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/1/13/htf_imgcache_33427.jpeg] [/url]

edit: Jeff Bond has a nice review of Turnabout Intruder. The article has screen shots from every Star Trek series finale to illustrate how TOS now has it's own final shot of the ship boldly going where man has gone before.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/08/03/turn...o-screenshots/

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I dont have a clue Nelson, about your trivia questions. I always wondered why the last episode was aired a month after the episode before.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good guess Scott. It was someone else actually. Rick, Scott, I'll reveal the answer later in case someone else has the answer.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That's an impressive last shot for the series, despite being in an episode that really has no closure or signifies an end to the series. But I guess the TOS cast got a nice wrap-up at the end of STVI, as opposed to the TNG cast who finished up better at the end of the series than in Nemesis.

Looking forward to the remastered series on Blu-Ray.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys! I'm surprised no one knew the triva questions!

1. The person who passed away a week prior to the airing of Turnabout Intruder was.....Jeffrey Hunter

2. The reason Turnabout Intruder was delayed was NBC preempted it with news coverage of the death of former President Dwiight D. Eisenhower.

I mentioned this before somewhere on this thread that NBC decided not to pick up the option of making 2 more Trek episodes after this one, and one was to be directed by William Shatner.

Nichelle Nichols does not appear in this episode because she had a prior singing engagement. Though everyone else was on hand, including the Mr. Galloway who was killed last season by Ronald Tracy. Nimoy and Barrett was in the first TOS Trek (The Cage) and the last Trek.

Sandra Smith and William Shatner are the only two actors to have played Captain Kirk, until last year, now that Chris Pine assumed the role.

That's probably enough useless information for today!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Great question (esp. for the figure that passed away). I wasn't even leaning in that direction, oddly enough.

I must say that I really enjoy learning such tidbits about one of my all-time favorite television series. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris[topher] Pine = Christopher Pike? Fascinating. ;)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Question, cause i dont have time to look it up tonight. But i will forget if i dont ask now. How did Jeffrey Hunter die?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just happen to look that up the other day. He was only 42. He died of a stroke. The various reports I saw and a comment from his son suggest that weeks prior on a movie set in Spain, a car window exploded near him. This probably led to stroke like symptoms on a plane flight back to the US where he suffered paralyzes on his right arm. Weeks later, he suffered another stroke at his home and fell and fractured his skull. He died during surgery to repair the head injury.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Rick,

Hey there. Over the years, I've heard two stories. One, that it was cancer. And two, that it was a car accident. I honestly have never looked it up to be certain. I'll be curious to learn the answer to this one. :emoji_thumbsup:

Edit: I just saw Nelson's post. We were posting at nearly the same time. Thanks for that info.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

I've seen only Hunter's Jesus; I will have to look this one up. :emoji_thumbsup:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Wow, 42, thats younger than me, now. A stroke is rare for a young guy ( but i have seen them) and he looked like he was in such good health!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I read an interesting review of Star Trek Remastered posted in 2006 recently and it got me thinking.

Now that all the new remastered episodes have aired, with the exception of The Cage, what has become of Star Trek Remastered?

The reviewer made a very good comment, with all the effort to remaster the series, CBS has not made good use of the results. It was originally intended to air in Hi-Def. (And originally, the remastering would have preserved the show at it's best, as it was, without the CGI tinkering.)

But it did not air in Hi-Def in my area. Did it ever air in Hi-Def? Perhaps it will soon as they repeat it in some markets. At least it's ready as we move to digital only TV broadcasts, which was an original goal of the effort.

I suppose the ultimate result of the effort, while may not have been the publicly acknowledged, was to go to Hi-Def optical media for home use.

One and half weeks away from the third season Remastered SD-DVD set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks