What's new

Star Trek TOS Season 2 HD-DVD- March 25th tentative release (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think its unlikely that it will be priced around $34 like Mission Impossible. Star Trek is a premium product and CBS knows it. I suspect it will be around $80 to $100 if not more for the SD season 2.

Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Paul- This Remastered Star Trek, for someone like me whose seen the show many times and also owns all the LD and DVD incarnations can say that this Remastered version is a huge improvement in video quality. The live action elements is the revelation, forget the CGI. The remastered live action awed me.

Charlie X has a close-up of Shatner's face and you can see his pores. On the SD side, it's almost as clear. Charlie's tunic has a wavy textured pattern in it, I've never seen that before! And it's almost as clear on the SD side. That's why I feel the SD version of S2 and S3 could be a pretty exciting release.

Of course I want the hi-def version, but the SD version is very good on a large 1080 display!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I have Dragnet too. Also a long time fan, and mine played fine the last time i watched it! Anyway, bring on the TREK!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just FYI, I posted this in the SD-DVD thread:

As has been reported on Trekmovie.com and TVShowsonDVD, Star Trek TOS Season 2 Remastered is confirmed for August 5th, 2008.

This will be a standard DVD release. Prices and details to come. I'm sure the pricing will be much lower compared to the HD-DVD release of Season One.

Since Billy Blackburn is listed in the credits, it looks like more of his on-set home movies will be included from the 2nd Season. Those are a real treat, to break out from the 4th wall and see the crew and actors goofing around.

I'm betting now that Season 3 wil be out before the end of the year and then perhaps to tie with JJ Abrams film, the Blu Ray versions could debut with Season One around May 2009 or with the Blu Ray release of the JJ Abrams film release.

This is pretty exciting in some respects, the alternative version of Star Trek TOS will finally have all 3 seasons out on DVD. And I'm sure an HDM version will be out soon after.

Another interesting bit of news, an announcement that an Adobe Media Player is just out to allow viewers to watch the entire Star Trek TOS library. It sounds like you can watch on-line or off of downloaded material. I need to gather more intellegence on this as I'm not totally clear what the advantage of this is.

(I know another thread was recently started with this topic of Season 2 on DVD, but I'm guessing the mods will combine them.)

Rolando

Screenwriter
So I take it that it was confiremd a while ago that there indeed will NOT be a ST S2 release on HD DVD right? I know I am grasping at straws but even though BD will be just fine it is upset not to be able to get all 3 in the same format for those who already bought it on HD DVD.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, no more releases on HD-DVD.

Unbelievably, I am still on the fence about picking up season 1 in HD and the remaining remastereds in SD.

I saw (on loan) just the SD side of a disc and it was still head and shoulders above the previous release.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I can't predict the future obviously, but I think it would be a reasonably safe bet that you won't see a season of ST: TOS on BD until right around the time the new ST movie is in the theaters.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
This will be a tough choice for many fans. I´m very eager to see the "S2" (haven´t really seen it before and fell in love with the series via that HD DVD-set..), but buying the SD DVD-set is not an real option (and if the retail price is $99.99 - roughly $70 in the online-stores? Something like that?)... Hard to go "back" to 480p after 1080p (meaning ST and "S1" vs "S2").. And I´m not kidding.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I won't be buying the SD season 2 set, but I might rent it. I'll wait for the blu-ray.

Doug

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Ditto. Standard Def defeats half the purpose of this release (HD presentation / new effects).

I'll stick with the season sets I already have until a BD release.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I've already made my intentions known in another thread on this topic.

Basically, this release is invisible as far as I'm concerned. And I really don't understand who this release is supposed to be for.

* It's not for HD-DVD owners who started this collection in Hi-def.
* It's not for SD-DVD collectors who would be expected to acquire the first season on a hybrid format.
* It's not for hi-def owners since they'll be waiting for the inevitable Blu-ray releases.

And, in addition to all of that, the release violates the spirit -- if you will -- of Star Trek which has always been in the forefront of packaged media with both its episodic and game releases.

I'm going to pretend like it doesn't exist ...

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm with Joseph! I'll be using my cloacking device to hide, watch, and wait. I'll strike when the time is right.

Is Joseph a Vulcan name?

GregK

Screenwriter
The only place this release will exist for me is in my Blockbuster On Line Queue, should Season two become available to rent.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I agree. No Blu-ray no sale. The shame of it is that those of us who already have season 1 on HD-DVD will have to wait - god knows how long - for an eventual hi-def release on Blu-ray for season 2 & 3. I really wish they had gone ahead and released S2 as a combo and just lowered the price. Afterall, it could've been stocked/sold in the SD-DVD section with retailers, but I'm told that when Toshiba pulled the plug, the subsidy for the Trek discs also went away. Bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks