What's new

Star Trek TOS season 2 cancelled on HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure the HD-DVD set of TOS S1 will come down to $50 or close to it as we near the depletion of stock out there. Amazon has it now for $96 new. And perhaps that's why we may never see a S1 single sided SD version only issued.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
At this point I'm probably going to "roll the dice" and hope for a Blu-ray release of TOS Remastered within the next 12 months.

I've already purchased TOS twice on SD-DVD *and* I own a HD-DVD player.

But I resisted purchasing the first season of TOS Remastered on HD-DVD due to the asking price. (If it had been available for $96.00 when it initially "streeted" I would have grabbed it. In retrospect, I'm glad the price was a deterrent.) Also, I promised myself that I would just rent HD-DVD titles until the format war was over.

At this point, I'm not purchasing the DVD/HD-DVD combo set at any price. And without a First Season, I'm certainly not going to purchase a non-HD release of the Second Season.

So for me, at least, this forthcoming release is currently "invisible".

Now I will say this: If Paramount will make an announcement stating that there will be no Blu release of "Remastered" for at least the next 18 months *and* they re-issue the First Season to SD-DVD, then I'm in. But we all know what the odds of that happening are! ;)

David Levine

Supporting Actor

In theory, the Combo-Disc format was brilliant. If HD-DVD would've won, it gave people who weren't ready to switch formats yet a "future proof" DVD. They could buy it today and watch it in SD. Then when they did buy an HD-DVD player, there was no need to upgrade.

Have your cake and eat it too.

But, that all went to hell when HD-DVD died much sooner than people expected.

Well that, and the fact that the combo discs are less durable than regular HD-DVD or SD discs...

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I kept reading about people getting scratched discs, and crushed cases. For the money it should have been more. But i know how Paramout is with Star Trek. If it was $500 someone would have bought it. I would bet money it will be on Blu-ray. They cant miss a trick!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
My Season 1 set has long been sold. I'll wait for the BR versions of all 3 seasons to be released.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow Lou! You sold your HD-DVD set! I couldn't do that.

I always think there could be a day, maybe 5 years from now that if you wanted to buy Star Trek Remastered on SD, you won't be able to buy the complete 3 seasons because S1 was out of print. Of course this is just speculation and by that time, a 3 season set could be out in both SD and BD or the next format. Or more likely, the SD version would be fully available for download purchase in full resolution, and of course hi resolution versions in both original version and Remastered CGI effects version. :laugh:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Hardly what I'd call brilliant. Double-sided discs are never the best way to go. Even if you avoid the freezing problems that Universal's double-sided DVDs have been plagued with, double-sided discs are much more prone to scratches, dust and debris.

No sale on double-sided discs for me, especially not for something like Star Trek, which I plan to leave to my grandchildren in 50 years.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As has been reported on Trekmovie.com and TVShowsonDVD, Star Trek TOS Season 2 Remastered is confirmed for August 5th, 2008.

This will be a standard DVD release. Prices and details to come. I'm sure the pricing will be much lower compared to the HD-DVD release of Season One.

Since Billy Blackburn is listed in the credits, it looks like more of his on-set home movies will be included from the 2nd Season. Those are a real treat, to break out from the 4th wall and see the crew and actors goofing around.

I'm betting now that Season 3 wil be out before the end of the year and then perhaps to tie with JJ Abrams film, the Blu Ray versions could debut with Season One around May 2009 or with the Blu Ray release of the JJ Abrams film release.

This is pretty exciting in some respects, the alternative version of Star Trek TOS will finally have all 3 seasons out on DVD. And I'm sure an HDM version will be out soon after.

Another interesting bit of news, an announcement that an Adobe Media Player is just out to allow viewers to watch the entire Star Trek TOS library. It sounds like you can watch on-line or off of downloaded material. I need to gather more intellegence on this as I'm not totally clear what the advantage of this is.

(I know another thread was recently started with this topic of Season 2 on DVD, but I'm guessing the mods will combine them.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks