Star Trek TOS Season 1 coming to BD in May-what we know so far

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Why are you comparing dual-layered Blu-ray discs to single-layered HD-DVDs? HD-DVD can be dual layered, too, in which case their capacity is 30 GB, so Blu-ray has two-thirds again the capacity of HD-DVD. A pretty significant difference, but nowhere near three-to-one.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think that early on, combo discs were limited to single layers on each side (or at least, on the HD DVD side); I'm not sure which way Paramount went with the TOS discs. I think they were dual layer, but I'm not sure.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
It depends, also, on whether it's a flipper or single-sided. The single-sided were limited to three layers total, while the flippers could have two of each on a side. (Don't know if there was an initial single-layer "teething" period or not.)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I'm really confused.

The "combo" discs under discussion are ALWAYS "flippers," aren't they--DVD data on one side and HD-DVD data on the other?

And if I'm not mistaken, no single-sided disc of ANY format can have three layers. Dual-layer is the maximum, isnt it? I recall that during the format war, there was talk of manufacturing a trilple-layered HD-DVD to (nearly) match the capacity of a dual-layered Blu-ray disc, but nothing ever came of it, as far as I'm aware.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have the HD-DVD of Star Trek Season One which is why I was mentioning the length of the episodes and that each HD-DVD disc had 3 episodes per HD-DVD side. The SD side had the same 3 episodes, plus the trailers and extras spread over the 10 discs.

So each side was specifically HD on one side and SD on the other. So I was wondering that BD discs have more capacity and that they might have more room to fit more episodes per side.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
According to High-Def Digest, the Freedom discs came out as "hybrids" - single layers of DVD and HD DVD on a single side. Not many people bit, though, because the prices were well out of line with what Americans are used to paying - $40 SRP for single 25 minute episodes and Amazon wasn't giving them the customary 30% discount. I'm not sure how much of that high price was manufacturing and how much was "Japan has crazy prices".

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I suppose it's also possible they will re-encode the episodes to larger sizes and higher bitrates on BD50's while keeping to three episodes per disc.

My sheer guess is though they will add more episodes per disc even if re-encoded.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I've got several hundred HD-DVD titles and NONE of them are 30 Gigabyte dual-layered(to my knowledge)! Toshiba pretty much threw that spec out during the format wars in order to answer Sony's 50 Gigabyte Blu-ray capacity. Does anybody in the Forum Membership actually HAVE a 30-Gigabyte HD-DVD title in their library? If so, I'd like to hear from them.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I think you're confusing HD-DVD with Blu-ray. It wasn't until several months after the Blu-ray format was first introduced that any dual-layered discs were released, but HD-DVD had dual-layered discs ready right out of the gate, and tons of them were released, including such high-profile titles as Apollo 13, Batman Begins, all the Harry Potter films, King Kong, Ocean's Eleven, and Serenity, to name but a few--there were dozens, perhaps hundreds, more. Dual-layered HD-DVDs were quite common.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I don't know of a single major HD DVD release that was single layer. Every HD DVD I have is a 30 gig. The Star Trek: TOS HD DVD was double layer on both sides.

Doug

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
When comparing ST Season 1 to other current shows, don't forget the number of episodes. Most recent shows have at most 22 episodes per year, where Season 1 of ST had 29 episodes!

Another Doug

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
^^Right.

TOS season 1 has 29 'hours' of episodes--so if they could get a least get 5 per disc---they'd only need 6. That's better than ten for sure.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Yes, I too want to see those 19th generation prints used for the space shots in HD................

And cleaning them up will surely help the fact that in dozens of shots parts of the Enterprise simply are not there.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member

I can confirm this; I reviewed one of the FREEDOM combos, and it was indeed a single layer of DVD and a single layer of HD DVD, on one side and artwork on the other. It worked beautifully. Only a single layer was needed because there was less than an hour of programming, so I don't know whether that could have been extended to dual layer. Might have, had Warner not killed the format.

The prices on the FREEDOM discs were indeed nuts; they did eventually release the whole series, I think, on the combo HD DVD format, with the last few volumes being amongst the very last HD DVDs to be released, but I never saw any kind of good deal on them. The FREEDOM 2 disc I reviewed was pretty interesting so I may pop for the Blu-ray box set (though word of mouth is that it gets pretty bad in the 2nd half).

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Right.

The thoroughly cleaned-up, color corrected, contrast-perfected brand new HD transfers of the live-action should be attached to the same 17 repetative super-dirty, super-grainy, non-specific to the episode, where sometimes the ship isn't even all there-----FX shots or
some folks won't buy the season sets.

There it is------accept it Paramount!!!

And if you read the opening post of this thread----they have----and are including the original FX versions.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jay, if you have not seen the high definition HD-DVD set of the first season, then you've not seen what the optical effects look like in HD. Not that I am putting them down, we all know that they are made with many layers that degrade them and we do see the Enterprise edges sometimes dissolve away!

It's not a fair measure, but during the end credits of the each episode, the HD-DVD's use the original end credits, so you can see the still frames they use for the backgrounds that include optical effects of the Enterprise. Some of those shots look pretty bad. But as I said, it's not a fair measure as it's a still. If it was moving, then I bet it will look better.

At any rate, I want to see the original broadcast episodes in hi-def too.

George_W_K

Screenwriter
Real Name
George
I never picked up the HD DVDs of TOS because of the price and although the UK discs were going for $30 on eBay last I checked (summer) I didn't bother because I heard the extras were in PAL format so I was hoping the BDs would eventually be announced. These are a definite purchase for me.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhishHead00