Star Trek TOS questions

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Greg K, May 3, 2005.

1. Greg K

Greg K Second Unit

I have a few questions about the orginal Star Trek season 1-3 DVD sets.

I took the time and money to get the original 40-volume release of classic Trek on DVD. Then they decided to release the series in season-by-season sets. *Sigh*. Can I have some info on the sets?

Also, I've heard that some episodes in the original 40 vol. release were NOT uncut (such as "The Tholian Web"). Do the season sets rectify this?

Are the extras on the season sets pretty good?

And what about some info on the Best Buy Bonus discs?

Also, any suggestions on how to get the set cheaply (perhaps the sets with the Best Buy discs) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    As far as I know (I also got the 40 discs), the transfers are from the same masters. The only thing gained (besides shelf space) would be the extras.... P/Q is the same....

3. DaveRU

DaveRU Stunt Coordinator

The Tholian Web is now restored and uncut on the new set [​IMG]

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

These prints were supposedly used for Sci-Fi Channel. The difference? A lot of DVNR and an altered Desilu closing logo from 1978.

5. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

The Digital Bits, if I recall, noticed a very slight improvement in PQ over the original releases. I didn't see any difference.

There are some fixes to episodes which had been cut. Some references are in one of my review threads:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1

I also recall discussions on cuts and fixes in other threads as well... I can't say if they were reviews of other seasons, or separate threads.

My three reviews should answer your questions on extras:
    Season 1:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=208472

Season 2:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=215071

Season 3:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=219104

I'm sure reviews at The Bits and TrekWeb may be helpful, as well.

-Scott

6. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Greg-

With regards to the Best Buy bonus discs, here are the details:

Season One: 2 featurettes; the first one is Kiss and Tell, Shatner, Nimoy and Walter Keonig take a fun look at romantic relationships through the series. The second featurette is a goofy game of Trek Connections of cast and guest stars on other films and TV shows.

Season Two: 1 featurette: Casts from all Star Trek series recall their favorite moments.

Season Three: 1 featurette; Collectable Trek. The world of Star Trek collecting is reviewed by collectors, cast members and archivists.

7. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

"The Cage", however, is still the same screwed-up cobbled-together version from last time (i.e. mainly, the soundtrack isn't the original pilot one but mostly the one used on "The Menagerie", so Malachi Throne's Keeeper voice has not been restored. Not sure if all the "changed" music was put back right last time. Someone else here knows better).

Too bad the original 90-minute version (as mentioned in Herb Solow and Bob Justman's book Inside Star Trek when they were thinking of selling it as a movie-of-the-week if the series didn't sell) doesn't exist...

8. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

There's a couple of ways to buy these sets. Of course there is Ebay, but there have been quite a few fools bidding these sets to above $80 each.

This is silly, since you need only wait until summer when Deep Discount DVD has their 20% off sale. Then you can snag them new for less than $80 each.

I just got Season 1 slightly used on Ebay for $75 which includes shipping. I got Season 3 sealed for $59 including shipping on Ebay. I can't get Season 2 because idiots keep bidding that one way too high. I'll wait for summer if I have to.

Hope this helps in your shopping.

9. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

I managed to score all 3 seasons on eBay from different sellers, brand new for about $55 a piece.

10. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    That's because that is all they have.

While the color footage may have been found replacing the B&W footage originally used to finish out all of "The Cage" from "The Menagerie", I don't think they had the sound for it and used the B&W version's soundtrack which is why Throne's original voice only occurs in those places.

I think it would have been more trouble than it's worth for them to extract all of Throne's original dialog out of Roddenberry's old worn-out B&W copy.

11. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

I disagree that
    1) it would be a lot of trouble
    and
    2) it wouldn't be worth it if it was.

The new 5.1 mix of The Cage was already rebuilt practically from the ground up (replacing sound effects and music from other, cleaner sources). A few lines of restored/cleaned dialogue is a drop in the bucket compared to the "trouble" that went into that effort.

12. Justin^W

Justin^W Agent

I'm always amazed by how good they look. Yay for film.