Star Trek (TOS) DVD trailer

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Lx, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

2. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

Love the music and editing. Clearly they are marketing the retro/cheesy value of this to mainstream consumers, which is kind of interesting.

3. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Well, that sure was funky!

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

That trailer was edited like the famous Star Trek blooper reel as it has the "feel" of it! Certainly a lighthearted look at the series.

5. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

That was hilarious!

However, I slogged through their 40 single disc releases. I'm steering clear of buying this again.

6. Lars_J

Lars_J Stunt Coordinator

Awesome trailer!

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Wow daddy-o, that trailer was groovy!

8. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

It oozed 60's.

9. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

10. Randall Cyrenne

Randall Cyrenne Stunt Coordinator

Note that the menus shown demonstrate that the preview trailers do accompany each episode, rather than appearing on the final disc, contrary to what some had worried about.

11. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

yay!

12. Sean.S

Sean.S Stunt Coordinator

Wow! That trailer is one of the best Star Trek trailers since I've seen since the Voyager years. Brilliant background music, awesome graphics, and just plain great humor. I can't stop watching it! [​IMG]

13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I have to say I didn't much like the trailer. I thought it was disrespectful to TOS and to fans. Do fans really need to be enticed into buying this because "in 1966, the future was FUNKY" ?!?

How about "In 1966, science fiction television was smart" (cut to clip of Spock saying something intriguing and intelligent); "it had new ideas" (cut to clip of Kirk talking about equality or some such); "it challenged perceptions (cut to clip of Kirk & Uhura's famous kiss); "it broke new ground!" (cut to montage of the show's most viusally interesting moments).

Paramount has demonstrated a complete inability to market Star Trek for the last 10 years or so -- the weekly Voyager previews were juvenile and dumb, and the Enterprise promos (like those for Voyager) use excessive superlatives (This week... A major Star Trek EVENT..) that make the show seem silly.

I always hated how previews would present two words at a time in hyping next week's show. "He's..." (cut to clip) "Back..." (cut to clip) "Next..." (cut to clip) "Week..." Isn't it more effective - in a "Holy Shit!" kind of way - to have screen text read "He's Back!" (bang) "Next week!" (bang) "Don't Miss it!"

I'll be very glad to get TOS in season sets, but someone has to stop the Paramount marketing people. Star Trek has never appealed to the lowest common denominator, and pushing promos like this won't make it so.

14. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Sam, I hear you and I feel your pain. I thought it was jokey to make a trailer that way and it does come off as disrespectful. That said, I think the Marketing machine has to look at the numbers and know that for us true old timer fans, this is a no brainer. But we are likely shrinking in numbers or already own the original 40 DVD's, so they have to attract the new and younger DVD buyers out there who heard about Star Trek and may have only seen it as a video game, but not really watched an episode. That trailer was for them. And to add to this, I was amazed to hear on the Bond game, Everything or Nothing, the youth have no idea who James Bond is, other then from playing the video games, never seen a movie.

Regarding the screen shots from the new DVD menus, did anyone else notice that the view screen on the Enterprise bridge looks remarkably like a wider screen then what is actually on the set? Either to make room for the text, or to make the menu fit better on the widescreen TV's. Further acknowledgement that they know TOS will be seen on widescreen TV's perhaps.

15. john_hood

john_hood Extra

I'm looking forward to this release. Especially as I never warmed to the sequel series that followed.

16. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Hey, that trailer was pretty groovy! (I was actually looking for the Austin Powers cameo!!)

I own the "original 40", but I've gotta' have these Season Boxes!

I'll probably just end up passing the older set along to some relatives in stages as the Season boxes are released. In any event, at this point, if nothing else, I need the additional shelf space!

17. cole_b

cole_b Agent

eh, I thought it was cute. though they gave Sulu and Chekov the short shrift.

18. Spero D

Spero D Second Unit

I thought the trailer was also groovy [​IMG] after having seen the same generic trailers they usually use it was good to see something different.

19. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

I agree with Sam.