What's new

Star Trek TOS Blu Ray set insert ep listing (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's so many Star Trek TOS BD threads, I decided to start a new one as I wasn't sure which this posting would fit best in. And I wanted to be sure you all saw this in case you're interested.

Ever since the BD of TOS S1 came out, there was some issues with some people who didn't either see the episode listing on the inner cover art, or they wished they listed the episodes in production order. Production order was a big issue for a lot of you!

So I decided to fix that. I have mocked-up an insert booklet. The inside of the booklet recreates the artwork contents on the BD set. The back cover has the production order listed with air dates.

I'm still tinkering with the artwork design. Here's what I have so far. I had originally filled the field with a very dark gray color. But I think I like the white better, easier to read. The type is already pretty small. I have one other idea I'll try to implement shortly.
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/0c/htf_imgcache_43166.jpeg] [/url]

When I finish this, I'll prepare it as a PDF. It's printed from my printer on 2 sided photo quality paper.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ric! Coming from you, that's a complement!

I can't live up to the work you've been doing. But I'll try.

Nelson

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Looks nice, Nelson, and thanks for the effort.

Would it be possible to have all the episode titles and their disc number on one side of the insert? That way, we can see everything without having to remove the insert. This might require the font to be too small for my old eyes, but thought I'd suggest it anyway.

Doug

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Great idea Nelson. An insert is much more appealing than removing a disc or papers to read the info through the blue cover, especially when a spindle is in the way.

Look forward to the finished piece!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the feedback guys, and interest! I'll see if I can incorporate your suggestion Doug.

I'll re-double my efforts now!

Nelson

edit: Whoa, I had never heard of an annotated timeline before! I'll check that out.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton

There may be room on the back panel of the insert (where the episodes are listed in production order) to simply add the disc number after the name of each episode (maybe a disc icon with a number in it). Those that want to watch the episodes in this order, could simply keep the insert in the case with the back panel up for easy, 1-sided reference.

I think it looks fantastic - I've always been a fan of clean, minimal design and this manages to fit a lot of information onto a couple of panels without looking cluttered and messy. Nice job!

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
Nelson, you're a star. This'll save me the hassle of looking up production order every time I go to watch the next ep. And it looks great. :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Finally got my season 1 set today.... and yeah, I'll definitely use this. Thanks, Nelson!

Um... hurry up and finish it, willya? :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here it is! I had some fun with this. I took some design cues from past DVD artwork.

I also struggled with the Star Trek font. Either do it as the original font or as the font is on the Blu Ray set. The downloadable fonts for Star Trek aren't exactly right. The "E" is not right. So in the end, I hand drew the font for Star Trek off the BD set so it matches.

I'm worried this artwork is full of copyright issues. But I placed all the copyright info attributable to CBS and Paramount on the insert.

I may revisit this and try the original Star Trek font. Maybe someone knows of a source. (Ric?)

One last thing, the artwork is set-up with crop marks to trim it. It will fit on an 8.5 x 11 inch paper. The final size after triming is 9 by 5.75 before you fold it. I use a pointy thing, like a burnisher to scribe the paper a little so you get a crisp fold. I fold it first, then cut it.

Finally, I am posting jpeg images of the insert. I'm not sure how to host the higher rez PDF versions. Any suggestions? And comments are welcome.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/f/f4/htf_imgcache_43194.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/56/htf_imgcache_43195.jpeg] [/url]

Hopefully there are no typos!

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I made a more accurate TOS trek font not too long ago, I'll take a look at it and see if it's worth sharing. There were issues with the original font as it wasn't all the same, the non-italicized E for instance had both curved and sharp corners on different occasions. In the end I just made vector logos for the specific needs of my project.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Zack. I had created the vector art for the logo here! Crazy I know. I may look into creating vector art for the original Star Trek font too.

This was a fun project, I may even do a replacement cover for the BD box. But we'll see.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Nelson, this looks fantastic!

If you're still looking for a way to host the PDF, I'd be happy to share it from my iDisk for HTF members.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Nelson, the stardate for "The City on the Edge of Forever" is 3134.0 (according to Allan Asherman's THE STAR TREK COMPENDIUM).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-

Thanks again for the recent feedback.

Craig Beam, I had listed no Stardate for City On The Edge of Forever because it is stated as Unknown in the Blu Ray set. I'm deferring to the content of the BD set. I am not picky about that, so if you guys prefer the Stardate as is from the Asherman book, I can do that.

I'm also thinking that it might make more sense to list airdates inside the insert where the episodes are listed per airdate! Doh! And then place the Stardates on the back as per production order.

I am going to make these minor tweaks to the insert this weekend. Craig S, I may take you up on your offer to use your iDisk. I'll be in touch if that makes sense.

Thanks! And I appreciate your patience as I make refinements. By the way, the cool thing here is that once I get this done, it's set as the template for Season 2 and 3.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This looks pretty cool. How it would it reproduce as just B&W? I only have a B&W laser printer. It would be nice to have a reference like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks