1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek TNG Season 3 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Morrow, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

So I just got my copy last night and watched the first 5 episodes. On the first season if you tried to chapter skip over the titles for each episode you ended up in the middle of episode. Then in season two they fixed that so you could skip over the begining credits. Now on the third box I was able to do that for the first episode (or maybe two) but the rest put me in the middle of the episode. What's up with that? It's not really that big of a deal, but it sure would have been convienent to be able to skip over them.

2. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I havent gotten my Season 3 copy yet, but both my Season 1 and 2 boxed sets have 8 chapter stops in every episode. Chapter one is always the part of the show before the credits and the opening credits. Chapter 2 always starts immediately after the opening credits finish. Perhaps your set is different than mine, or your DVD player is behaving differently.

3. mike martin

mike martin Stunt Coordinator

I just got my season one a few weeks ago. I view them this way, i watch the opening scene (a few minutes) and then when the credits start, hit the chapter stop putting me directly into the next scene, missing nothing. This has worked for every episode thus far except the the very first. You didn't give up on the chapter stop after the first episode, did you?

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

There have been a couple of threads that discussed this already.

I can't think of any problems in S2, but S1 definately had at least two episodes that started Chapter 2 at least a few minutes into the post-opening-credits act (as opposed to immediately after the opening credits).

I cannot recall which ones they are; sorry...nor do I have time at the moment to do a search. But the info's here on HTF somewhere.

Since - as the rumor goes - all 7 of these seasons were authored prior to the selling of the S1 box, then it goes to figure that all of the sets will have this problem at one or two episodes. Perhaps we just got lucky with S2; I don't recall any problems, though.

As far as it goes, I like to listen to the opening credits just because I myself LOVE this theme song. But yes, it gets old, so I skip it sometimes. On the occassions that I do skip it, I look for the post-credits Title screen and guest appearance credits. If I don't see them within moments, I reverse-play until I see the very end of the opening credits sequence, then play forward again. It's not that hard to deal with.

Having said that, it WOULD be beneficial if every TV-on-DVD author pays attention to this. We all want the benefit of skipping the opening credits and going right to the start of the show which immediately follows those credits. This is important on any TV-on-DVD disc, but moreso on these box sets!

5. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Actually, there are a few episodes on S2 with the same problem. One I seem to remember is "Manhunt," which cuts off about two minutes if you just skip the credits.

6. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Disc one doesn't skip right, I almost missed part of the first show. I can't believe they can't get this right!

7. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Correction second show. I didn't realize episode 149 was on the left side, even though 150 was automatically highlighted.

8. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

I hate this!

It really annoys me. Season 1, 2, and 3 all have their episodes that skip.

9. Norm Lalonde

Norm Lalonde Stunt Coordinator

I have every season released so far. I'm about half way through Season 5 right now.

This is what I've noticed:

All seasons have certain episodes that skip a few minutes after the credits if you skip to chapter 2.

It seems to depend on how long the intro of the show is. I've noticed, if the intro is less than 3 minutes long, the next chapter stop is at about 2 or 3 minutes after the credits. If the intro is more than 3 minutes, the chapter stop is immediately after the credits.

So if the intro is less than 3 minutes I fast forward past the credits, while if the intro is longer than 3 minutes, I skip to the next chapter.

Seems to work.

But I agree with everyone else, I don't like it like this. Chapter two should be right after the credits for every episode.

Norm

10. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Nice observation, Norm.

I agree, the second? chapter stop ought to start at the end of the title sequence. The only other tv-dvd I own that consistently have intros before the title sequence is The X-Files. Never had this issue there.

11. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Its just laziness on the part of the Studio and whomever they hired to make these DVDs. I'm glad I didn't buy this set, I hate to give money to lazy Studio's! The Stargate series is that way for every episode. Do they really think when we watch 3 or 4 episodes in a row, we all want to sit through the theme song intro every time! Common sense seems to be absent when it comes to DVDs.