What's new

Star Trek TNG Season 2 Defect (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I encountered a defect on disc 2 episode 3 last night. The picture freezes right at the beginning of the chapter. Plus I saw some major visual defects a few minutes late after I moved further into the episode. I use a Sony carousal player. Best Buy where I bought it exchanged without a problem.

Blu

Screenwriter
Just tested my disc, no stops, no defects to be found. Works perfectly on my Toshiba.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
My copy played without a single problem. Did your replacement from Best Buy correct the problem?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Can you describe the major visual defects (besides the freeze)? Were they instances of pixelization, combing during movement, or something else entirely?

-Dave

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Yes Dave, the other defects were instances of pixelization coming during movement. I have not rechecked the spot of the defect yet. Will do so later tonight. This is the first instance of a defect that I've encountered in any DVD of the 500+ I own.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've re-watched the episode that had the defects on the exchanged set. The new Next Generation set did not have the defects I encountered before. Of course, I'll still have to re-watch all the other episodes to make sure the entire set is defect free.;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Of course, I'll still have to re-watch all the other episodes to make sure the entire set is defect free
You see, that's a huge problem with defects in a multi-disc set. I would tend to want to replace ONLY the disc that I know is defective, and keep the other discs...ESPECIALLY ones I'd already watched and know for a fact work flawlessly. A) no need to spend time to be "forced" into rewatching something you've just now seen to prove it's not defective, and B) you know for a fact it works! :emoji_thumbsup:
When I was a retail store manager, if someone came in with one defective piece of a big package, you bet I had no problem exchanging JUST the bad portion of the item. I take a package off my shelf, open it myself, exchange one part of the package, and let the customer go on his or her merry way. I put the defective thing into the package I just took off my shelf, mark the entire thing defective, and process it out. No muss, no fuss!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Mr Lambert, the Best Buy "customer service" person did inquire as to where in the set the defect was & when I brought back to their desk the replacement set, she opened it. I thought for a fleeting second that she was going to exchange just the defective disc, but that didn't happen. I said nothing except thanks & left. Should I run into this situation again, I'll speak up & see if I can get just the defective disc replaced.:eek:

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Ive made it through all the episodes on both seasons and havent encountered any problems. As far as I know, none of my Paramount DVDs have ever had any problems, ever...

The only studios Ive had discs that have had problems were Warner, Columbia, and Anchor Bay.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
she opened it.
They do this so you don't have an opened copy exchanged for a sealed copy. If they did, you could take the now-sealed copy and get it exchanged for something different. That's a favorite trick of pirates, and this policy defeats that simply. I used to do the same at the software store I managed.

James Alexis

Agent
I think the main defect with this set is episodes 1 through 24.

A woeful season from an over-rated show.

There's no substitute for Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty etc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Enough of the thread puking, if you don't like the series then don't post in this thread!
Crawdaddy

James Alexis

Agent
Apologies to anyone who took offence at my earlier comments. I had intended this to be a humourous comment but it doesn't seem to have come across that way.

I am slightly irritated that Next Gen is getting the deluxe treatment from Paramount while they are so unimaginative with the release of the original CLASSIC series.

There is surely scope for that to be released in season sets with documentaries and commentaries from cast and/or crew (Dorothy Fontana, David Gerrold, Bob Justman, Herb Solow, Judd Hirsh to name just five are still around).

I may pick up Season 3 of ST-TNG (looking forward to Ron's review) as this was probably the best season.

Live Long and Prosper!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks