Star Trek TNG release ramifications

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

With the whole series being planned for release this year it really makes me wonder how that is going to effect future TV/DVD releases. No doubt it will accelerate releases if TNG is successful but if it isn't could one of the highest profile franchise series out there kill or hender the TV/DVD market if it fails to set the world on fire?

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

The only thing I'm worried about, is if other studios follow suit with other programs...I'm gonna need to take out a loan. [​IMG]

3. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

I would expect that Paramount is not counting on this "setting the world on fire" but to do somewhere near X-Files business. But I would guess that Columbia and Warner aren't deciding how to release their product based upon ST:TNG. I guess I could be wrong...

-Chad

4. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

lets just keep classic tv comming and I will be fine, I don't want to have shows like "Danny", and "Shasta McNasty" on dvd since they were all terrible

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Trek on VHS was a perennial seller - it didn't rely on street date business. I imagine that Paramount isn't as concerned about week 1 DVD sales as they are about the long term prospects for the series on DVD.

That said, I think they'll do quite well the first week out of the gate. I just feel that they have more interest in the DVDs being out there and available for people to pick up when they choose to.

6. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I'm just hoping TNG does well enough to justify full season sets on DS9.

7. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

8. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

DS9 is a series I'd hope is released all in one year as well! I loved that story! Paramount could be the trendsetter in this respect. But I really think that other companies will be watching how TNG fares before considering a accelerated launch of their shows.

9. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

So what are the chances of getting the original series released in season sets? I know that the people who laid down the big bets for the intial release would be getting screwed and I'd feel for them, but such is the nature of our hobby and the hazard of being an early adopter. To be equally honest and insensitive, I'd buy season sets in a second.

Brennan

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Wich is exactly why I didn't pick up a single TOS disc.

Although, I did get screwed with the movies, now that they are all going to be redone as Special Editions...

11. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I do wonder if they will release TOS in a box SE-which will have to include the SCI FI channels extra intos and outros by the cast, that appeared on cable.

because of total cost and waste of space, I dont own any TOS, but will gladly buy the box if and when it comes out as a set, but only then.

And I also do feel for the people who scooped up all 40 discs- and spent $600-700...when, if in box form, should cost more like $325-375 (online).. ..

12. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

I'm hoping they include the episode intros they did for DS9 reruns a few years back. Haven't seem them since the early days of DS9 rerun syndication, but they were quite amusing, and fun to watch the actors out of makeup and out of character introducing the episodes. Anyone else see those?

13. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

14. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

For the 28 TOS discs I own so far, I've paid $386.39...an average of $13.80 per 100 minutes of material.
    Compare that to Frank's $12.70 per disc, and he's made out better than me.
    But I don't feel bad for me. In fact, I think I'll go pick up two more today! [​IMG]

16. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

The only ramifications for me is I will be broker [​IMG], or is that more broke?
    LOL
    I had promissed to myself that I would cut down on my release day purchases, so I could get two or three of the TOS discs each month to finish off the collection.
    Now I have the added expenses of the TNG sets...
    *sigh*
    I must own half of Paramount, based on the money I have sunk into the franchise over the years...