Star Trek : TNG DVDs -- Skip the intros-- which episodes are funky?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Parris, Jan 27, 2003.

1. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

I generally watch anywhere from 1-5 episodes of Star Trek a day (shut up. it's my life and I'll live it like a nerd til I die! [​IMG])... one thing that really irritates me about the DVDs is the chapter organization on some of the episodes... on some, chapter 2 begins right after the opening credits. So I can just tap my remote whenever I hear the first notes of that music to skip it... but many of them start chapter 2 up to several minutes beyond the opening credits.

Now, this problem bugs me...and I watch these DVDs a lot... but have never bothered to keep up with which ones are abnormal. Is there a compiled list already that I just havent stumbled upon yet?

If not, let's compare notes, fellas. I've got all the DVDs, and once my projector gets here I'll be watching the entire series again straight through-- and I can record as I go... but I'm sure I'm not alone in my daily or almost-daily viewing habits of these discs... so if you notice one... please post it to this thread... I'd really like to have a master list of the abnormal episodes.

Thanks a bunch guys.

2. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

I agree that the chapter choices on these discs are the most abnormal I've ever seen. (Not as bad as 24 though, where there are none!) Even Cause and Effect, where it's essentially the same sequences of events looping over and over again, they still place the second chapter quite a good time after the opening credits, I would think that they'd put it right after the credits, you know, when a new loop starts, but no. I find Paramount is the worst for chapter stops, often lumping many huge scenes together into one chapter.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

4. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

I haven't kept a list of the problem episodes, but they really bother me. Now I don't trust skipping the title sequence on any TV DVD. I always have to rewind a bit to the closing seconds of the title sequence just to be SURE i'm at the correct spot.

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Just about all of the TNG episodes began the second chapter with a shot of the Enterprise, the episode title followed by guest star credits, and a captain's log entry. If you see all of this, especially the episode title followed by guest star credits, then you know you didn't miss anything.

I could be wrong but I think the problem occurs more often in the early seasons and more often on the first few discs in each season. That's just my casual observation.

6. Thomas Lang

Thomas Lang Extra

I usually use the display button on my Pioneer (DV-717) and if the next chapter is about 1:43 min away when intro credits start I use next otherwise I just use fast forward!

Hope that helped a bit!

After having finished season 7 just the other day it is just to sit back and wait for DS9! :)

______
    Thomas

7. Bob Muir

Bob Muir Extra

A true nerd would watch the opening credits every time! [​IMG]

8. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

9. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Star Trek TNG episodes with the "Chapter 2" bug:

x.y.z
    x = season
    y = disc
    z = episode

1.1.1 Encounter at Farpoint
    1.3.3 Haven
    1.3.4 The Big Goodbye
    1.5.1 When the Bough Breaks
    1.5.3 Coming of Age
    1.6.3 Skin of Evil

2.5.3 Manhunt

3.1.1 Evolution
    3.1.4 Who Watches the Watchers?
    3.2.1 The Bonding
    3.3.1 The Vengeance Factor
    3.5.4 Tin Man

4.1.1 The Best of Both Worlds Part II
    4.2.3 Reunion
    4.4.3 First Contact
    4.5.2 Identity Crisis
    4.5.3 The Nth Degree

5.1.3 Ensign Ro
    5.1.4 Silicon Avatar
    5.5.2 Cause and Effect
    5.6.3 I, Borg

6.3.2 Chain of Command, Part I

7.3.3 Parallels
    7.5.2 Eye of the Beholder

10. John Parris

Rob-- THANKS A BUNCH! [​IMG]
    Is the definitive/complete? Again, thanks.

11. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

John,

My pleasure. [​IMG] I'm 99.9% sure this is complete but there is a small chance I may have missed one. If someone else finds something that I've overlooked, please e-mail me and I will edit my post.

By the way, I'm as nerdy as they come, but I always skip over the opening credits of this show. I've heard the theme song SO MANY TIMES it ceases to affect me. Same with X-Files. (Never cared for that theme song in the first place.) However, I always watch the opening credits of THE SOPRANOS and THE SIMPSONS. And I always watch both opening AND closing credits on COWBOY BEBOP because I love both songs so much.

12. Louis-Philippe

Wow, thanks for the list.

I just realized that I missed a lot of "beginnings" from jumping to chapter 2... worst part is that I'm at season 6 now [​IMG]

I printed your list and it's with the collection now.

Take care,
    lpr

13. John Parris

Rob-- the song from the Bebop opening credits is called "Tank!" I belieive... I actually got burnt out on that song myself... had it on a cd and just stuck it on repeat in the car... my friend and I had proposed a system of measurement for driving : "Tank!s" -- "How many Tank!s from your house to mine?" "Oh, about 3." [​IMG]