What's new

Star Trek:TNG dvd info at star trek.com!!!!!.... (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I just received an email from Deep Discount touting the set. It says Why Pay $149.95 so I guess that's the suggested retail price they are interpolating from MSRP.

$97.50 for the set. Too Much. I really won't pay more than $70.

As for the Pilot I'm dissapointed they are using the syndicated two part version for the Disks. If a Pilot is two Hours that what we should get. Not the eventual Splitting for syndication. That version omits some stuff as does the 2 hour finale which I'm sure will also be the two part version.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
As a true fan I really could care less what the cost is. I will purchase ALL season sets. However, I will shop around to find the best price. $100 (give or take a few $) is well worth it for over 25 hours of viewing pleasure.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, if nothing else I'm certain that Best Buy will put it out for $99.99 on the first week.

Do-do-do-DOOO-doo-DOOOOO! CHARGE IT!

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
$75 is the limit I will pay. Paramount, unlike Fox with the X-files, has had over a decade to milk this franchise through syndication. I think a SRP of $100.00 is appropriate with a 25%-30% discount. There is too much other stuff coming out that I really want that I will have to live without if I have to pony up $100 every other month for one of these. (sigh) I feel like I'm back in college, have a hot girl ready to get down on her...er, uh, well, um do something, and then the asshole roommate walks in, despite strict orders that he was to be gone for at least another 4 hours! :angry:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Correct me if im Wrong but didn't the guy from Paramount say these sets would be under $100. Maybe they need to set a msrp if shops are gonna set it at $149.98 i dont think thats what they intended to happen here. Hopefully this shakes out over the next couple weeks. As i want these sets bad but i will not shell out more than $80 per season.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
How is this series able to be released every other month when it's only twice a year for others?
I don't think there's ever been a technical reason why other series couldn't have been released the same way. I believe its a marketing reason. The sets are quite expensive and the marketing people probably believed that the market couldn't handle a quick roll out like that.

Star Trek The Next Generation is a little different since the market is primed and ready and probably a little more fervent than most.

That's my guess at least.

Patrick

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I find it amazing that people are actually complaining about paying $109.98 for 20 hours of Star Trek episodes (which ends up being $5.50 an hour, not counting the extras). Paramount gets it right and releases Star Trek: The Next Generation in season sets with extras and still people complain. Guess you can't please everyone. I know I'll be buying it.

By the way, DVD Empire is listing Encounter at Farpoint as one episode, so I wouldn't get too irritated about it being broken up into two parts yet.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Let’s see now:
Average movie = between 90 & 120 minutes
Cost = between $15 and $20
You can get 5 maybe 6 movies for around $100 (yes I know there are exceptions)
TNG box set is over 25 hours (25x60=1500 minutes)
The length of this set equals over 12 movies ($180 - $240)
Your minute to dollar ratio is HALF
I can’t understand why so many people wanted Paramount to release Star Trek in box sets and now think $100 is too much. Or that every other month is to fast to release them. Paramount made a change from the TOS disc’s and selling box sets, they are releasing them faster than any other TV series and the price is cheaper than that oh so popular X-Files sets. They heard what we wanted and LISTENED.
No one said you MUST purchase a set every other month (wait till you have the extra cash). No one said you had to buy any or all 7 sets (although why someone would have say 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 is odd to me).
We need to thank Paramount and Martin for what they have done. Bitching about this stuff is very unfair. I am so happy with Paramount and Martin that if he were here in Virginia I would take him to the finest restaurant in Richmond just to show my appreciation for what he and Paramount have done for us.
No other studio has listened so well and done so much when it comes to releasing box sets as Paramount and this continued whining is just unbelievable.

Spero D

Second Unit
I agree. This price is a bargain. As I have said if they released them each month and also at the same time Voyager each month I would still spring for them all. If they could offer the R2 casing that would be the icing on the cake.

Spero D.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
The only reason I'm dissapointed is that when someone suggested getting the R2 packaging on the R1 release, the guy from Paramount that posts here (sorry, can't remember his name) made a comment like, "John, you want them for under $100?". Insinuating that part of the point of the cheaper packaging was to keep the price under the $100 mark. Apparently, we're not even getting that with this packaging.

Plus, the official star trek site even said they expected retailers to offer it for under $100, which is apparently not the case in MANY instances. Now, I know you can find it for under $100, but the fact that they said that on the site would make one think that the sub-$100 price would be much more common than it appears it is going to be.

This definately makes this more of a "Get the seasons you REALLY like first" thing rather than a "collect the whole series immediately as the seasons are released" thing.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I certainly am not bitchin. I jus thought the idea was for the sets to be under $100 by dropping that outer case. Martin and Paramount have done a fine job releasing season sets and i commend them on that. I jus was under the impression they would sell for less when the initial annoucnement came out is all. But my budget probably won't allow for me to pay more than $80 per set. Perhaps i will buy a set every 4 months if the prices are that high. :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My problem with the price points that are showing up is not with the idea of spending so much on a season of Trek. It is with my perception that Paramount/Martin intend for the sets to hover around $99 at B&M. With that in mind, I would think they'd be lower for preorder. With the $150 price being advertised as if it's MSRP, I fear that Paramount's lack of an SRP will allow vendors to go all out setting it high.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
$100 per season is going to sting my wallet, but I'm still getting them. I for one am thrilled to see Trek coming out in proper season boxes.
Would cheaper have been good? Sure, saving money for other releases is never a bad thing. Still, I don't think it's over the top.
At least they will be released fairly rapidly, unlike Stargate where we're still waiting for season 2, and I will be able to buy them retail, unlike the Highlander series where my only choice seems to be to order from the official site and eat over $30 in so-called "shipping costs". :angry:
Way to go, Paramount! I for one am waiting with baited breath for the Trek boxes. :emoji_thumbsup:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Their really is a lot of complaining about the price. I am just happy Paramount listened and did the following:

1-Season box sets

2-Releasing them every other month

3-Remastered sound

4-Extras

Most places have it for under a $100. So I will wait until one of the Canadian etailers lists it. It will probably be around $75 with the exchange rate. That is what I have been paying for the X-Files box sets.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Agree with everybody, especially Frank Anderson, about the fact that I'm amazed that ANYbody is bitching about these releases. I guess you just can't please everybody.
If you can't find it at the right price, then shop around. Jesus; that's not a hard concept, is it? Since it's Star Trek, I *FULLY* expect many places to milk it for as much as they can. Especially since Paramount set no SRP and no MAP. As I stated, it's a free-for-all. That means in either direction...up OR down! :laugh:
I had just caluclated the $5/hour price point myself when I read that someone had beat me to it. Hell, M*A*S*H Season 1 clocked in at about $3.50 an hour with ZERO features other than the "no laugh track" option. ST:TNG is giving you the featured supplements, the 5.1 sound, and - if you get the free CD-ROM disc that Best Buy is talking about and are able to use it - the trailers and other stuff. I'll pay an extra buck-fifty-an-hour for that!
Cheaper and better than, say, Freddie Got Fingered!!

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Oh God, I am soo gonna be dead!!! The complete Star Trek TNG on DVD!!! Not only will I fill up my current Sony DVD changer (DVP-CX860, 300 disc, less than 50 slots left), I will have to start on a second one!!! Maybe I will go after the Kenwood 400 disc changer!!! There is no reason NOT to load up all these great episodes and have them ready to play when I want. So far Deep Discount DVD.com is charging 74.95 for the first season. I'm sure to find it cheaper somewhere else. Opps, that also means I need to find another shelf (or unit) for the (new) changer. Soooo dead, (but what a way to go)!!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks