What's new

Star Trek:TNG dvd info at star trek.com!!!!!.... (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
WAY cool!

I'm glad there's no MSRP. Retailers may be more likely to keep lowering the price in competition with eachother.

So much for packaging rumors... but it looks cool nonetheless...

-Scott

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Looks like the packaging is totally different from Region 2's packaging, as someone speculated over in the other thread. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it is probably even nicer. Perhaps none of that folding cardboard?

Those boxes are HUGE, though! Look at them in comparison to the discs! Well, it won't fit on the shelf, but that's okay.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I dunno, I'm torn on this one. I was planning to Buy Simpsons Season 2 t his year, and that may be my budget for Complete Season sets for the next few months.
If Each episode had an audio commentary, this set would be a must buy. But an hour of extra features, for 26 episodes? It's a bit of a toss up. If I can find it for 60-80$'s somewhere at Discount, I'd probably pick it up.
For season 2, we need Audio Commentaries by the actors and directors. I wanna see 'em poking fun at the early Trek episodes :)...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The sub-$100 price point is amazing. I was expecting prices in the X-Files range. What a windfall! :)
And a big thanks to Martin Blythe for getting this information to us a day early. You're too good to us!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
TNGDVD7Coll_240.jpg

Way different, indeed. More like The Godfather, just as a covering for the fold-out X-File-type box.
I like the disc art better, though.
As for this:
I'm glad there's no MSRP. Retailers may be more likely to keep lowering the price in competition with eachother.
[rant]NOPE![/rant] This means it will be a MAP, which is short for Minimum Advertised Price. That means Paramount won't sell it to you unless you agree that you won't advertise selling it lower than a price they set at the studio. The announcement's phrase "is expected to be priced by retailers for their customers at under $100" means that Paramount will set the MAP at, likely, $99.99, and they intend that retailers sell at that price. Oh, but they're free to charge more if they want to.
They potentially could charge less, if they're willing to not advertise it at all. Depending on the studio, they can get away with a typical Best Buy ad that doesn't say a specific price, but just says "Hot Price!" or "Guaranteed Low Price!" or something like that. Some studios have a MAP policy that says the item can't even be in the ad, though. I haven't a clue what Paramount does.
But The Godfather's handling should be a good indicator; it also had a MAP, if I recall right.
Having said all of that, it just means that I'll be paying a street price of roughly $100 for a 7-disc season, just like with X-Files. That's cool with me!

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I think the coolest part is that Seasons will be released evervy other month. No long waits. Will have the entire series in by March or April of next year.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
But...

If the wholesale clubs pick this up (Sam's, BJ's, etc.) there could be some lower prices. My local BJ's had The Godfather set for $64.95... much less than the $100+ list, and less than most e-tailers selling in the $75 range.

Well... we can hope...

-Scott

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm thrilled about every other month, but prefer the UK box art. I do like the color coding on these though. Would it be worth addressing this in Studio Feedback? Or has Season 1 already been pressed and packaged? I really want my medkit packs!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Grrrr... I hate to say it, but I really think they should re-release the original series in three, full-season boxes with four episodes per disc. As it is, I've refused to buy any of the current discs because I fail to see the value. This is the way to package a TV show like Star Trek!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
If the release dates are good with all the series. Then we could be looking at the following release schedule:
2002-The Next Generation
2003-Deep Space Nine
2004-Voyager
2005-Enterprise
That is unless Paramount wants to release the shows concurrently. ;)
With regard to pricing. I will probably get it from a Canadian etailer. They are usually a lot less for box sets, with the exchange rate. I wonder who will have it first for preorder.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Now I'm torn between getting the R1 from Canada or going with the R2. R2 would give me PAL, which might mean better picture quality (at least the potential is there) and then there's the packaging issue... hmm.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
TNG was shot on 35mm, so PAL speedup will be present.
Some people care and some do not, to each his own.
I'm just making sure people know that this will be sped up, for those who may not know.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Damn, I cannot wait!

For me, TNG holds a soft spot in my heart. I look at people not unlike those in Free Enterprise who grew up as a child, along side Star Trek, The Original Series, and they're quite similar to how I grew up with The Next Generation. It was my favorite show! The stories were unlike anything I could ever see elsewhere on TV. I do try to watch TOS whenever I can, but it's difficult with the poor showtimes on TV, (4:00 PM on SPACE) and the way the DVDs were handled. So for me, it's TNG that's my "second father".

I simply cannot wait to revisit all of those great stories, even Season 1! There's still many episodes I haven't seen, like "We'll Always Have Paris". In fact, all this TNG discussion has gotten me in the mood for some more TNG! If it weren't for Survivor tonight, (and the fact that TNG is on TNN), I'd watch some TNG on TNN!

What about the newer Treks? Well, I thought Voyager was allright for it's first few years, but got severely sidetracked overtime. DS9 I never was able to get into, but I'd definantly jump at the opportunity to watch it chronologically!

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like there is no plastic at all anywhere. It does look like each disc is in a Godfather type cardboard holder.:frowning: It is awesome to be able to get each season every other month.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
What about the newer Treks? Well, I thought Voyager was allright for it's first few years, but got severely sidetracked overtime. DS9 I never was able to get into, but I'd definantly jump at the opportunity to watch it chronologically!
I love TNG, but DS9 is my favorite of the Treks. It took some time to get good, but the last few seasons were so excellent I was sad to see it go. Also, it was so different from the other series.

Voyager is just a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks