What's new

Star Trek TNG Disks look Awful (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
If I recall, the UK versions have extras the US ones don't because the extras were offered ONLY as "Best Buy Exclusive" bonus discs in the US.

Now, getting that DS9 complete series set a few years afterwards, I had no way of ever getting those extra discs, but damn I would LOVE to see them all.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yes, I remember the bonus discs offered by that particular store. It never occurred to me that those extras would eventually turn up on the U.K. discs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys-

I'm glad a did a search and found this thread. As some of you know, I started a Star Trek The Next Generation Appreciation thread in the TV section. I've been revisiting my original DVD sets purchased when they first came out. So I've been viewing them in order and have seen Season 1 to 4 and nearly done with 5.

This time though is a first on a Toshiba HD-DVD upscale player and a 50" plasma. And while I didn't read all the earlier comments, I have to say they do look bad, especially after having seen the crisp new remastered Star Trek TOS! Soft image and pale colors. Some shimmering and jaggies too on some effects shots.

But the main thing I wanted to mention is that I noticed at the start of Season 5, some episodes were not anamorphic. Now before you jump on me, what I mean is that the menus are anamorphic, they are 4:3, and the black bars do show up on the sides. But on Redemption Pt 2, the episode fills the 16x9 screen in anamorphic mode when all other sets, in the same mode, the image is 4:3, but with black bars on the side. I tried the disc on my old Pioneer DVL-700 DVD/LD combo player also set for anamorphic discs, and it properly displays the image with black bars on the sides on a Sony 23" LCD.

Only Redemption Pt 2 did this on the Toshiba HD-DVD player. I am up to The First Duty now, and it also fills the screen! So what I do is reset my display for 4:3 and it squeezes the image. This is odd because at 22 minutes 45 secs into The First Duty, the image pops out to anamorphic mode and I reset my monitor to "full" mode so the image is un-squeezed. Then 5 minutes later, its not anamorphic again, then at 36 minutes in, the image goes back to anamorphic for the rest of the episode.

I can only conclude that the disc has some iffy mastering the Toshiba can't deal with. Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks, Nelson

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TNG looks great on my 27" Sony Vega monitor. It looks like garbage on my 32" widescreen LCD. If you have a traditional CRT television that is decent size, I'd actually recommend watching it on that instead.

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Villafana
Season 4, The Way of the Warrior, DS9
on Samsung BD player on Samsung 52" LCD in original 4:3 aspect is very good to outstanding to me. There is the slightest hint of graininess, but very acceptable.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I would'nt doubt it Nelson, I started this thread and it's odd but the earlier Seasons look better than the later. Look at Seasons 1-3 and compare them to 5-7. The DS9 Disks won't win any awards either but they look better than the TNG Disks especially the later seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks