What's new

Star Trek: TMP Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
My order has been completed so it must be in the mail.I contacted creature features several times via email before getting them to call me back about the order. I also tried to call but many times could not get through or had to leave a message.Can't wait for the book. I put the tmp soundtrack on this evening. Fantastic!!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I received the book just before Christmas via Media Mail which explains why it took so long!

Wow! I'm only a few pages in, but it is very good!
Highly recommended for all Trek and TMP fans!!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I keep seeing this thread and keep hoping the next time, it will be announcing a new release for ST-TMP DC on Blu (completely 4K remastered of course).

I keep getting tempted to pick up the current Blu but I know its the theatrical release without some of the DC version scenes which really add to the movie and show its real strength. Same for ST-TWOK DC.

(Wish Leonard Nimoy would do a ST-TSFS DC on Blu while we still have him. Live Long & Prosper Leonard).

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Kyrsten Brad said:
(Wish Leonard Nimoy would do a ST-TSFS DC on Blu while we still have him. Live Long & Prosper Leonard).
What is there to make a DC of with TSFS? I'm pretty sure the film that came out theatrically was Nimoy's preferred cut.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Same question: I always remember hearing Nimoy and Frakes were the most economical directors for the features. Almost everything they shot made it into the final version of the movie. There may be a little more filmed re: Kruge and Valkris, but what else is there?

I'm not for doing a DC just to get better effects.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
There's some deleted stuff with Kirk and Bones in the turbolift after he leaves the bridge at the beginning of the movie. Wisely cut because it gives too much away about McCoy being "possessed" with Spock's Katra.

Slightly more Valkris stuff on the Merchantman freighter, but nothing substantial. Likely cut for time.

A bit with Admiral Morrow coming aboard in the torpedo bay, another cut for time since there's nothing necessary there.

A short scene onboard the Klingon Bird of Prey following the destruction of the Enterprise. Kruge basically explains the motivation of Kirk blowing up the ship. A case of telling rather than showing, another good cut.

I think the biggest cut involves The Hall of Ancient Thought, where Spock's body passes through on the way to the Fal Tor Pan ritual. I think this was never shot because of expense to construct the set. In the script, the scene is barely a paragraph long.

I'd say, in all, there was maybe 5-8 minutes of redundant story cut.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Osato, sounds like great reading! I'm looking forward to getting my copy, it should be arriving anyway. Kyrsten, I too keep hoping and wishing Paramount will remaster the DC of Star Trek TMP for high definition release. I've been hoping and wanting for a loooong time! And I hope it happens sooner then later.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Allansfirebird said:
I'd say, in all, there was maybe 5-8 minutes of redundant story cut.
Thanks for that. I don't see much there that should be included in a new cut. The film works, pace wise, as it is. And I would not be in favor of redoing the effects shots and putting the Director's Cut label on it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately due to real life circumstances any film featuring Stephen Collins in a prominent role is not likely to be a candidate for the major expenditures needed to make the director's cut available on blu ray. Paramount has, to date, been reluctant to invest in this project prior to recent disclosures. Just don't see it happening.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I've read Nimoy say before that what we get in TSFS and TVH are his "director's cuts". There's nothing extra that he would want to add as they are.

Nimoy's best chance would have been with the Director's Series releases on laserdisc (and VHS, I think) back in the mid 90s. But all he did was an introduction featurette. No special cut. That intro made it to the first DVD release. I don't have any other release beyond that first DVD, so I don't know if that feature shows up in other releases. Has a nice side-by-side comparison of a pan-&-scan vs. letterboxed presentation, though.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Garysb said:
Unfortunately due to real life circumstances any film featuring Stephen Collins in a prominent role is not likely to be a candidate for the major expenditures needed to make the director's cut available on blu ray. Paramount has, to date, been reluctant to invest in this project prior to recent disclosures. Just don't see it happening.
Paramount has no issues releasing Chinatown on different formats. The artists and the movies are separate things.

Neil

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Neil is correct. The situation with Stephen Collins has no bearing on whether or not Paramount will release the DE of TMP.
It's simply a question of whether Paramount wishes to invest the funds into bringing the DE up to high definition - something they really should have done in the first place. I still think they'll do it at some point.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
Neil is correct. The situation with Stephen Collins has no bearing on whether or not Paramount will release the DE of TMP.It's simply a question of whether Paramount wishes to invest the funds into bringing the DE up to high definition - something they really should have done in the first place. I still think they'll do it at some point.
And the sooner the better! :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm sure this has been mentioned but has a Kickstarter campaign been considered ?

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
On the Creatures Features website, it says all 1000 copies are sold and they are taking orders for the second edition due out in Feb./March. I placed my order back on the 11th. I hope I made the cut!

JColl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joey c.
Maybe we are seriously underestimating how much it would cost to bring the new effects up to the quality level of the original Trumbull shots in full HD? At this point I'd be happy if they just conformed the live action as much as possible to the way it is in the Wise cut, call it a special edition or extended edition or whatever.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Bob_S. said:
On the Creatures Features website, it says all 1000 copies are sold and they are taking orders for the second edition due out in Feb./March. I placed my order back on the 11th. I hope I made the cut!
Wow! Outstanding news! Glad the book is selling well!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks