What's new

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season Two (Blu-ray) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! (1 Viewer)

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by TheBat

paul. I am also getting a network connection failed on my panasonic 80 player. it must be something with the bdlive.

Jacob
I mentioned a couple of days ago that I was seeing this on my BD-605 (Costco BD-60). But I have only seen it before the menu appears. Thankfully it hasn't happened during an episode. BTW, I'm running the 2.0 firmware.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
perhaps bill hunt from the digital bits could look into this problem?

Jacob

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette

Thanks, Nelson. Well, the Panasonic DMP-BD55 hasn't had a firmware update since 7/8/2009, so it would seem to me it is about due.
Originally Posted by ATimson

Three months is nothing. My Samsung BD-P1500 hasn't seen one since late April.
That's what I'm talking about. My Panny BD-10 hasn't seen a firmware update since August, 2008! I don't think Panasonic supports the model anymore and would even consider a firmware upgrade.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Originally Posted by ATimson

That's what I was looking for. I didn't see anything like that, but I'll double-check that it didn't fall out without me noticing when I was opening it.

If nothing else, I'll exchange it for another copy--"The Trouble with Tribbles" was giving me seamless branching issues that I haven't seen in season 1 or elsewhere in season 2 that I've watched so far. It's an excuse, at any rate. ;)
There wasn't anything like that in my first copy from Best Buy. It turned out that the hub of the case was shattered, and I returned it. The replacement DID have the little cards.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the last episode of the first disc last night, Mirror, Mirror. Looked terrific!

And afterwards, I tried one of he Easter Eggs on the first disc, type in the code, and it worked!

If you want to know the codes, the clues can be found at trekmovie.com. For your convenience, I will paste them here:

Instructions:Some of the hidden bits are found using navigation, while others are found by going to main menu of a disc and typing in a 4-digit codes (we aren’t going to give you the exact codes, but provide you with the hint for the code, which are all years for the four digit codes). Here they all are. Disc 1#1 – (Enter 4-digit number) – The year Star Trek first aired on TV. Disc 2#2 – (enter 4-digit number) – The first year of Kirk’s five-year mission. #3 – (navigate right from Communication) Disc 3#4 – (enter 4-digit number) – Spock’s Birth Year #5 – (navigate right from Communication) Disc 4#6 – (enter 4-digit number) – Original air date (month/day) of “The Trouble With Tribbles” Disc 5#7 – (enter 4-digit number) – Registry number of the Enterprise #8 – (navigate right from Communication) Disc 6#9 – (enter 4-digit number) – The year Shakespeare died (from “By Any Other Name”) #10 – (navigate right from Communication) Disc 7#11 – (enter 4-digit number) – The year the Enterprise crew travels back to in “Assignment Earth” #12 – (navigate right from Communication)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
thanks Nelson! =).

BTW BD35 has a 2.0 firmware that deals specifically w/PiP issues =).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You're welcome Jedi!

I watched the most highly anticipated episode of this release last night, The Doomsday Machine. First, what a feast for the eyes! And I am not talking about the new CGI effects. The live action has a lustre and sharpness I've never seen before. Some of the shots are dark as the Constellation herself is pretty damaged, the lighting is lowered, and they look great! Some shots looked a tad flat, can't explain it in proper technical terms, but they lack a certain degree of depth and midtomes. But that's probably how they exposed the films and processed it. That's not a ding, that's just the way it is. But it really looks amazing!

On close-up's of William Windom, you can see each beard stubble like never before, each wrinkle on his face. Amazing. Like in S1, you could see the pores on Shatner and Nimoy's faces. The Constellation's mission patch on Decker's tunic was rendered with such detail, like I've never seen before! The fabric and detail of that insignia is finally revealed! Much like I'm sure you guys are seeing on the Wizard of Oz disc, which I don't have yet.

I compared the Standard Def DVD of The Doomsday Machine this morning and it's really a case of day and night. The older disc is soft and has some noise. either grain or something. The BD is clear as a bell. The DVD looks a tad dark, the BD is brighter and has a higher range of tone.

I wanted to add another discovery to the group here. It may be disturbing to some. I could see a rather significant change to The Doomsday Machine that was not done to the last Standard Definition release of the Remastered set. In all past releases of Star Trek Remastered, the new CGI effects of Enterprise fly-bys include a new rumble sound effect of the ship passing by. Not too loud, but there. What surprised me with The Doomsday Machine is they added a new Doomsday Machine sound effect, just for this release. The machine has a low rumble, as well as a sort of repeating machine like sound. Hard to describe, like a piston going up and down, but altered to sound more alien. The sound of the alien probe in Star Trek 4 The Voyage Home is a good example. The prior DVD release has no sound like this.

On the one hand, it's actually pretty cool. On the other, it's altering the original soundtrack. The original searing sound of the inside of the machine is still there when Decker flies the shuttle in. I have not gone to the original mono sound track to compare, but I bet it's the original soundtrack, so it's not like anything to lose sleep over.

Thumbs way up!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I noticed the new sound effects for The Doomsday Machine. I didnt mind, and like you said, if the 7.1 DTS bothers you, you always have the mono track. However, i didnt care for the new sound effects on the animated Tribble episode. They were almost to much, to different from the rest of the episode sound, and music effects. But i did enjoy seeing TAS in HD!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rick!

I figured I wasn't the only one to notice! I just did a comparison and the original mono track is there. Funny how the enhanced sound effects covered up some of the subtle musical instruments used on the score. Especially after the first commercial and you see the Enterprise and Constellation fly-by and then see the Doomsday Machine. The music is so covered over by the sound effects.

I have not seen the Tribbles disc yet, thanks for the heads-up on that one! Sounds like the new sound effects are almost jarring on the TAS episode. I look for it.

JoeU

Grip
Anyone with the Sharp BD-HP20U have any success getting this set to play? Sharp released a firmware update on Oct. 5 (version HU9071500) that I downloaded and installed on my player tonight. Still nothing. All the bonus features will play, which they did before the update, but not the episodes themselves. Very frustrating. I deliberately avoided watching these when they were aired on TV because I wanted to experience them uncut and in High Def, and now that I have Season 2 but can't watch it, it's killing me.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
^^^^

I'm in the same boat as you brother..........

Got it 'day one' and my sharp 20U won't play it.

I didn't know about the update though, but I guess it doesn't matter if it doesn't help me for this set.

I'm going to have to buy a new player by Xmas and get down to watching these episodes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry so many of you guys are having issues with this set.

Not to rub salt in the wounds, but I wanted to comment some more about how amazing this set is. I watched another favorite and anticipated episode for me, Metamorphosis.

The blu ray continues to reveal so much more. I've seen this one so many times, it's a great story with a nice emotional payoff in the end. (I still have issues with how they alter the character in First Contact, but I can see how he could become a changed man after all those years with the Companion)

What I noticed more this time was how the heck they were able to make that small soundstage look so big! The on-stage effects for the planetoid mist or fog are really well done. Some shots, like the long shot when Cochrane first sees the shuttlecraft is amazing. There is a long shot where he's very far away and I never noticed a vivid green spot light coming down on him against the purple sky color. Cochrane's house was also interesting for me to see as it looked like such a complete set. I noticed this more this time. His "antiques" were much more clearly visible. Elinor Donahue's hair piece was much more obvious. With so many close-up shots of her and Shatner, it wasn't hard to see! Shatner's skin tone was so clear too. He looked so young!

The new CGI Companion does not really match the on-planet optical effect, but I can see they probably gave it a different look for the in-space shots when it's at warp.

A really great episode for me. Great story, great music score and really well executed. Star Trek at its best.

MitsuruX

Grip
Real Name
MitsuruX
Recently Got this and Season 3 at best buy on sale for 39.99 and like otehrs have said. this set is great for botha visual and audio standpoint...

One question that maybe someone can answer is that in some of the "non effects" shots i've noticed some strange quality differences... not related the the Blu-Ray it self.. but the original master (i assume).. was this a result of the way the episodes were origianly filmed?

I especially noticed it on the last episode of the set.. Kirk and Spock are standing in the Nasa office... one scene is super clear, then there is a cut to a slightly different angle that is significatly less clear...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Are you referring to scenes that fade out to commercial, or fade into and out of scenes or the effects shots?

If so, that's just a result of the original optical effects done in the 1960's. The optical effects of fading from one shot to another, as I understand it, required multiple film layers that resulted in less sharpness and weaker color and in some cases, dust. This occurs in the S1 set too.

Can you post the time the problem occurs in Assignment: Earth, I can look at my set.

MitsuruX

Grip
Real Name
MitsuruX
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Are you referring to scenes that fade out to commercial, or fade into and out of scenes or the effects shots?

If so, that's just a result of the original optical effects done in the 1960's. The optical effects of fading from one shot to another, as I understand it, required multiple film layers that resulted in less sharpness and weaker color and in some cases, dust. This occurs in the S1 set too.

Can you post the time the problem occurs in Assignment: Earth, I can look at my set.

I'm not at home to post specific times.. but i will post a few from the specific episode once i'm home.. thansk for the quick response! :)

Midnight Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Here’s the deal, I think, with what you’re describing:

Very often on Star Trek they would optically blow up the image to get a close up for a scene where none was filmed. Perhaps they decided in editing that a close up would help a scene or sometimes it was to hide something that was unintentionally caught on camera like a mic boom or the edge of the set. In other words a fake close up. When they did this the image would become grainy from the optical blowup. I’ve noticed it myself for years. Also as others have said whenever there was an optical overlay, like a view screen image or lap dissolve the quality of the image would suffer too.

MitsuruX

Grip
Real Name
MitsuruX
Originally Posted by Midnight Mike Here’s the deal, I think, with what you’re describing:

Very often on Star Trek they would optically blow up the image to get a close up for a scene where none was filmed. Perhaps they decided in editing that a close up would help a scene or sometimes it was to hide something that was unintentionally caught on camera like a mic boom or the edge of the set. In other words a fake close up. When they did this the image would become grainy from the optical blowup. I’ve noticed it myself for years. Also as others have said whenever there was an optical overlay, like a view screen image or lap dissolve the quality of the image would suffer too.
Yes that does make sense.. as that is when i noticed it (Close up cuts in certain scenes.. non effects).. Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks