What's new

Star Trek: The Original Series (Season One) - HD DVD Review (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have to agree with Jari that in most cases ratings are not that good a reference, especially over time. Many things I would have considered A grade back when I began reviewing would be severely downgraded now.

I think the whole idea of messing with the original effects shots is terrible, but any compression artifacts or other video anomalies (like edge enhancement) on any HD format is inexcusable.

HighDefDiscNews

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin

Jeff, I feel that way to a degree myself about looking back on past reviews and how I'd maybe re-rate them now...

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review.

If you would be so kind to help settle my concern for EE on this title (I've only seen the theatrical presentation). Of coarse I mostly noticed it along a blk outline against a lighter backround; such as pants, hair, & the blk boxes in the trial room. Greatly appreciated.

HighDefDiscNews

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin

Nothing of that nature present in this HD transfer. Was probably just the projection setup you were viewing the demo on... I'm guessing it was a comic book convention or Star Trek convention...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
IGN has a review up that seems to mirror Justins quite a bit as far as the video and overall value/impression

I'm wondering if we are going to get the same kind of macro blocking in the blacks of space, that can be seen in the title sequence of Donners cut of Superman 2?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Justin: I asked this in the thread in which you posted your review of Ratatouille, but got no answer.

On what type of system are you viewing/reviewing these discs? Components, hook-ups, both video & audio, etc.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
This review should make us TOS fans happy.

This quote -

"Remember, regardless of the cleaning, this is an old show shot on a television budget so it doesn’t compare to today’s big budget extravaganzas."

- addresses why some reviewers seem underwhelmed by the visual presentation.

As to the effects matching live action this quote is of interest:

"the teams at Paramount have respected the source material and built the CGI elements to match the "feel" of the show. Yes, there are some new perspective shots of the Enterprise for added effect. At the same time, all the ships have been animated to move and act like the original model did. They’re also designed to look like a clean version of the models as to not look modernized at all. Even purists should be proud of the effort and end result in making this series match Roddenberry’s original vision right down to including the 1.33:1 cropped versions of the effects shots in every episode."

My set should be here by the end of the week so I make my own determination.

Edit to add another review.

And another.

The last two are from a fan's perspective. Fan sensibilities aside both are very impressed with the set.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Mine should be delivered after work today. I can't wait!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks