What's new

Star Trek: The Original Series 4th or 5th seasons cgi??.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The following was from www.trektoday.com Here is the article.
Enterprise has already shown computer-generated aliens can be created convincingly on a television budget. But in only a few years, even humans could be recreated in the computer - opening up some very interesting possibilities for Star Trek fans.
"As God is my witness, [the alien creatures] look absolutely dead real. There's no way we could have done that two years ago," Enterprise supervising special effects animator Bonchune told Michael Stroud at Wired for an article on the way computer graphics are transforming television.
Bonchune felt that in a few years it would be possible to use CGI to create completely lifelike human faces in only a few years time. "You could redo the old Star Trek series. The original mission was only three years. You could do two more entirely in CG."
While Bonchune only commented on the theoretical possibility of redoing the Original Series, three years ago an independent visual effects company called Digital Streams actually launched a campaign to create 'Star Wars'-style special editions of all TOS episodes. In an effort to persuade Paramount to fund their project, the company created an updated version of the classic episode 'The Doomsday Machine,' featuring updated effects and a reworked opening sequence. However, the company apparently was not successful in this, and its web site has since gone offline.
For now, Paramount has been very willing to use computer-generated effects to enhance episodes of the latest Star Trek series, Enterprise. According to Wired, an upcoming Series V episode will include a sequence in which "viewers [see] a shot of a spaceship's crew walking on the hull in space, then a pan to a nearby planet, then a shot of another spaceship nearby."
"Technically, you could have done these kinds of shots two or three years ago, but it would generally have cost too much and taken too much time for TV," Bonchune told the site. "Now it's become much more practical."
For more on Enterprise's use of computer-generated imagery, as well some examples from the upcoming FOX show Firefly, please read the full article on Wired.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Considering how willing Paramount is to strip mine the Star Trek franchise for every $$$ it's worth; it wouldn't be a suprise.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Yeah, there is the problem of DeForest Kelley being dead. I don't think the fans would stand for it if they brought in another actor to voice the part, even if that actor could do an uncanny impersonation of De Kelley.

Also, the other actors are also older and the voice does change as you age. Even if William Shatner came back to do the voice of Kirk, he would not sound exactly like Kirk in the original series. Nor would Spock, Scotty or anyone else.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
If they can bring back john wayne in beer commercials they can do just about anyone. There are enough voice samples and clips out there

capt

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
You could redo the old Star Trek series. The original mission was only three years. You could do two more entirely in CG
Oh, wonderful idea. We all know the only thing keeping the original series from achieving the high quality of modern-day Trek like Voyager and Enterprise is the special effects.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What would the hardcore fan's reaction be to computer-generated voices reproducing the sounds of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy? By the time the CG rendering of human faces is convincing, the voices should be also, no?

Either way, expect anything from the people who dried up the well and then threw Voyager and the second half of Enteprise's first season at us. Whatever.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Ah, but what if Ron Moore was writing it... It'd be harder to completely dismiss the idea out of hand.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about Mr. Moore the other day, after dosing myself on the TNG Season Three boxset and then thinking about an Enterprise episode. Well, no balked at the Star Trek cartoon series from the 1970s, so there you go. (Well, I balked.)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Hey! I liked Star Trek: TAS (The Animated Series) and have the LD Box set, damnit!

Reality is that current tsars of Trek need to go, Ron Moore, Ronald Wolfe, and others need to return to Robert Wolfe, René Echevarria, and a few others. Just as long as we can ditch Berman somewhere...

Enterprise was actually off to a good start, I think it's still off to a better start then anything since DS9.. but scriptwriting and good thought process is needed to keep it in the right direction..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks