What's new

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Where are the disc sets shipping from?

I saw that there are some product delays due to labor shortages of unloading ships on the west coast.

Not sure if this is connected.

Aren’t discs usually made in Mexico?
Sticker on the shrinkwrap on mine says the discs were pressed in Germany and the sets assembled in the US.

First time I've ever seen that.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I just watched the remaster of TMP and I'm pretty happy. It's never looked better to my eyes. I understand the flaws are limitations with the original elements.

The better picture quality allowed me to notice things in the mix I never noticed before. Just two examples. I never noticed the jarring music edit during the pod sequence at 19:23. It's fairly egregious, yet it was there on the original blu-ray all these years, as was the distracting mistimed stereo panning of the transporter sound effect at 14:00, 14:03 and 14:09 when Kirk is beaming to the station. Someone is turning the pan knob when it should have been done with cuts because the sound isn't moving from left to right in an unbroken camera pan. The picture is cutting. The sound moves should have cut too. Weird how I never noticed it until the better picture quality showed up.

The subtitles bug the snot out of me. I miss the ones that were hard coded on the original release. The timing is off on these, too; they often appear before the lines are spoken, and they look crass compared to the seamless ones I grew up with, which fit the style of the movie better. The original style could have been hard coded with seamless branching. It wouldn't have been that hard.

I realize none of this is the fault of the wonderful remastering job. I'm grateful for it. I guess these nit picky things bug me more now that I finally have this beautiful transfer.:thumbsup:

I'm happy with it. This is a dream come true.

BD
bd1.png

4k.png

Last edited:

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Thank you for that vid. TMP had more DNR than I thought. :) Much improved colors with the UHD. I am so looking forward to watching this set!

I too will be picking this up locally and canceling my Amazon order.

Last edited:

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot

Wow indeed.

Noticed that there isn't one overall color tone shift. It's different scene by scene. Vulcan is much warmer. Most of the scenes on the ship (corridors, bridge, Kirk's quarters) have the exact same color only brighter or better contrast (though the engine room image, and maybe one other, seemed to have less contrast), with only a few shifting cooler instead (sickbay).

Only one of the later bridge images seemed to shift warmer.

McCoy's transporter room scene is less... purple.

Can't wait to get this set.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Wow indeed.

Noticed that there isn't one overall color tone shift. It's different scene by scene. Vulcan is much warmer. Most of the scenes on the ship (corridors, bridge, Kirk's quarters) have the exact same color only brighter or better contrast (though the engine room image, and maybe one other, seemed to have less contrast), with only a few shifting cooler instead (sickbay).

Only one of the later bridge images seemed to shift warmer.

McCoy's transporter room scene is less... purple.

Can't wait to get this set.

Agreed.

I watched the opening of tmp last night on iTunes. It looks fantastic.

I hope my Amazon order ships soon.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I did watch ST II via iTunes last night. I was mighty impressed with the way it looked. I have seen this movie an untold number of times over the years and still picked out new details I never noticed before. The big one that stands out in my head is the Kobayashi Maru viewscreen. There is a grid pattern on the screen I never saw before. Knowing this was a simulation moment (and not "real"), it's a dead giveaway about what's happening. But if you don't know the end result, you think it's a new kind of viewscreen.

The Genesis Cave doesn't look great to me (the water in particular doesn't look real at all), but that's a function of the production and not the transfer.

I am also always impressed with how much the movie did in terms of miniature work, battles, sets, actors (speaking and nonspeaking) on a pretty small budget.

Still really happy with the movie. I'm going to try for ST III sometime this weekend, if not tonight.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I gave up on waiting for Amazon and went to my local Best Buy which had it listed as in-stock. After looking through their very small media section and finding nothing, I scoured the store and eventually found an employee who was able to find it still sitting in the back. It's ridiculous that it was Thursday at 11:30 AM and they hadn't bothered to put out all of their items for the week but at least, I got it.

I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to shopping- if it's there, I'm basically happy but having to track down an employee to track down an item that should have been out two days ago is a perfect example of why I've been to Best Buy probably 4 times in the last 2 years and I used to go there weekly.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I gave up on waiting for Amazon and went to my local Best Buy which had it listed as in-stock. After looking through their very small media section and finding nothing, I scoured the store and eventually found an employee who was able to find it still sitting in the back. It's ridiculous that it was Thursday at 11:30 AM and they hadn't bothered to put out all of their items for the week but at least, I got it.

I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to shopping- if it's there, I'm basically happy but having to track down an employee to track down an item that should have been out two days ago is a perfect example of why I've been to Best Buy probably 4 times in the last 2 years and I used to go there weekly.

Labor shortage is impacting everything.

Glad you persevered and someone helped you too!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
There is one thing you said and other reviewers I’ve read have been saying about The Motion Picture and why in the last 20 years and more so in the last decade, that for me it’s the best film in the series. It’s very measured in its pacing, though of course, Wise didn’t get to fine tune the edit. But more so for me, it’s simply the epic nature that the film has. It had the budget and a serious science fiction idea. It had a big idea that was new at the time.
What big idea was new at the time? I assume you aren't referring to the plot, The Changeling rebooted.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Trek III's opening is no longer pillarboxed.

The subtitles on the streaming copies are burned in. Discs are player generated.

Pillerboxing: great!
Subtitles: shit. I hate that they do that and that is, believe it or not, a huge disappointment. It's the main reason I hung onto the DVDs. The placement and fonts for each film were different and it doesn't actually recreate the original film experience if the subtitles are player generated and the same generic font. Only Star Trek II seemed to be accurate.

Yeah, that's very disappointing. I understand the need for a "clean" textless master, but when the subtitles are for a made-up alien language and the font is part of the aesthetic of the film itself (as in The Motion Picture), it really should be preserved. It's especially annoying since they apparently did go to the trouble of recreating the original font for the digital streaming version.

And if they absolutely had to use player-generated subtitles for the Blu-ray and UHD, the format is actually quite versatile. There's no reason that font couldn't have been retained, instead of going with the bland, generic font seen on everything else. Other studios have accomplished this, and Paramount themselves did it for the Blu-ray release of the Godfather films.

Last edited:

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Star Trek UHD set is no longer on my order list at Amazon. It is shown at $137. I went to my nearest BB where the site said they had it available. They did not have it. I give up.
I guess I’ll be content with the blu-rays and save the $77. BTW, BB had just a tiny section of discs and an even tinier section of new releases.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To everyone still wanting/waiting a copy: we’ve had delays on catalog titles like this all year. For the most part, they resolve in a week or so. My advice is not to do anything rash like paying inflated third party seller prices. Within a couple weeks, if this years trends have taught me anything, it’ll be more widely available and at that under $80 price point.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, for you who have 4K display capability and have seen the discs from this set, I have a question. As I mentioned, when Star Trek The Motion Picture finally gets a remastered 4K release, I was going to upgrade to a 4K OLED.

Now that I finally have the set, I have not made the decision on purchasing the set yet. I know which set I’ll be upgrading to, it’s a matter of deciding where to buy from. If I buy from one place, it’s probably a two week wait til I get it. Is it worth the wait to watch The Motion Picture from the 4K disc on the new display over the blu ray disc? My guess is you’ll say yes! I imagine it will be a better image, but I imagine it’s not going to be night and day? I can probably wait, we’ve waited this long. Thanks!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Robert! I figured that would be the answer! So i’ll try to wait for the delivery of a new OLED before watching this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks