What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Before this set came out, I’ve been very curious if Robert Harris would do A Few Words column about Star Trek The Motion Picture.
Your wish is granted.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tino! i honestly didn’t think he would do it!

I’ll be reading it shortly! I appreciate the tip as I might have missed it!

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Somewhat disappointed with Star Trek: The Morion Picture. While the ‘beauty shot’ of the Enterprise looks fine in The Wrath of Khan, it looks very soft in TMP. I know WHY they did it but it wasn’t necessary. The image wasn’t as robust as I had hoped. I know there are limitations as to what they can do with this restoration of the original elements. Still, an improvement over the Blu-ray.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I preordered a copy of this set through Deep Discount, rather reluctantly tbh. I'm not the biggest Star Trek fan but I have enjoyed the theatrical films beginning with TMP and have purchased them several times since DVD. Poorer PQ aside, those DVD sets are, and, sadly, remain the most definitive releases of the films to date IMHO (I'm not counting Laserdisc editions). Those thick DVD sets featured beautiful artwork and copious extras, some of which may not have ported over to subsequent editions. This franchise has brought Paramount a LOT of money and recognition during the 55 years since the OG series aired - you'd think the studio would grant it better treatment. A nice massive set featuring all the theatrical films sounds about right.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I preordered a copy of this set through Deep Discount, rather reluctantly tbh. I'm not the biggest Star Trek fan but I have enjoyed the theatrical films beginning with TMP and have purchased them several times since DVD. Poorer PQ aside, those DVD sets are, and, sadly, remain the most definitive releases of the films to date IMHO (I'm not counting Laserdisc editions). Those thick DVD sets featured beautiful artwork and copious extras, some of which may not have ported over to subsequent editions. This franchise has brought Paramount a LOT of money and recognition during the 55 years since the OG series aired - you'd think the studio would grant it better treatment. A nice massive set featuring all the theatrical films sounds about right.

The main thing lost from DVD was the "Director's Edition" version of TMP, which is confirmed to be in the works for a separate release. The DVD for that movie also had an audio commentary by Robert Wise that was timed to match up with that version of the movie, so I imagine that will also reappear later.

The DVDs for all ten movies had text trivia tracks written by Michael and Denise Okuda. Technically, those were not retained for later formats. However, most of the information in them was consolidated into the "Library Computer" interactive feature on the Blu-rays.

Other than that, as far as I'm aware, every other feature found on the DVDs was ported to Blu-ray.

Once the Director's Edition of TMP is remastered, there won't be much reason to hold onto any of the DVDs other than sentimental attachment.

As far as Paramount's treatment of the franchise, the biggest problem there was that, until recently, the rights to Star Trek were split between CBS Films and Paramount. Paramount did not have full ownership, and tended to treat Trek like a red-headed stepchild. Howver, CBS and Parmount finally merged back together in 2019, which is why we're now seeing a big push to expand the franchise on Paramount+ and get the theatrical series back on track.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I actually like the theatrical version of TMP. And if the directors cut in 4k has the same revisions, a number of things will be lost that I am fond of.

I always like to have original theatrical versions of films. They are usually the version I saw first and fell in love with.

The directors cut is just an alternate version to me.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
After checking Target.com and W*M and Target I have concluded that Best Buy is the only retailer that seems to have this in stock (only two/three copies left at the two stores I tend to go to) so I did order it at BB.Com (and saved a whole dollar) for $76.99 + tax and am having it shipped ...I'm not sure what I find more suspicious -that - or that BB.com is taking pre-orders for some Criterion 4Ks for $27.99 :wacko:!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Amazon says the set is in stock and promises it to me tomorrow. So I cancelled my (cheaper but not much) order at DD and went with them. I'm tired of waiting for this, which is, to me, one of the most important releases of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks