What's new

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Wait for the 4K television (I think I read your post correctly: you have the 4K disc in hand now, and want to know whether to just watch the Blu-Ray or wait until you get a new 4K TV set to watch the UHD?).

I'm less familiar with the various iterations of ST:TMP, but I did watch Khan on my 4K and wow, was that a thing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Carlo, I realized I wasn’t very good in my wording in my post. But you got it right, I have the Star Trek 4 movie 4K blu ray set in hand now. And yes, I was thinking of watching the blu rays now while I wait for the the new 4K display.

I’m encouraged now from Robert and you to wait for a new 4K display before watching these discs. Yes Robert, I’ve waited this long and voiced my desire for Paramount to get these films remastered for years! They are finally here and it’s exciting. I better get on it and order the TV!

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Hey Carlo, I realized I wasn’t very good in my wording in my post. But you got it right, I have the Star Trek 4 movie 4K blu ray set in hand now. And yes, I was thinking of watching the blu rays now while I wait for the the new 4K display.

I’m encouraged now from Robert and you to wait for a new 4K display before watching these discs. Yes Robert, I’ve waited this long and voiced my desire for Paramount to get these films remastered for years! They are finally here and it’s exciting. I better get on it and order the TV!
If you're looking at an OLED, I'd say to definitely hold off. I watched on a standard LED screen (with HDR) and was impressed. If you go with an OLED and Dolby Vision I think it will probably look even more amazing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Carlo, thanks! I’m still learning about 4K discs and what a 4K display can show. I’ve seen the names Dolby Vision but it didn’t mean anything to me. So it will be cool to experience it. I know my Oppo player can handle HDR material, but I hope that includes Dolby Vision.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Hey Carlo, thanks! I’m still learning about 4K discs and what a 4K display can show. I’ve seen the names Dolby Vision but it didn’t mean anything to me. So it will be cool to experience it. I know my Oppo player can handle HDR material, but I hope that includes Dolby Vision.
If you have an Oppo 203 or 205 then it can handle DV.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Robert, thanks a lot! I have a 205. I grabbed one when I learned of the demise of Oppo’s disc player division. I grabbed it in anticipation of the day I would upgrade to a 4K display. I’ve been saving my pennies!

Sorry guys for my off-topic question. It’s exciting that Star Trek has finally made the jump to 4K! :)

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Honestly either HDR format on an OLED is going to be a noticeable improvement. Note that not all HDR applications are equal. I've seen some not-so-great HDR applications which resulted in an overall darker picture which can obscure things you're supposed to be able to see. But by and large I see way more improvements than issues.

Just for kicks, I fired up Khan on my DV set (taking a quick break from work) and it looks amazing in DV as well, at least in the five minutes or so I've sampled throughout the movie.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Bryan, will do!
2AAAE7BA-C49D-4ECC-A08D-9846019114F5.jpeg

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Just picked up my ST 4K set Friday. Ordered it at BB. They brought it right out front to my car in a couple of minutes. Watched first movie TMP yesterday. I only planned to take a peek, but was drawn right in and watched the whole thing. I think it’s the music that does it. Goldsmith’s score is perfection. The scenes which many have found slow and plodding (the Enterprise traveling into the cloud, etc.) are remarkable because of the music. The detail in the picture is top notch. I may rewatch Space Seed before I watch Khan.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Before this set came out, I’ve been very curious if Robert Harris would do A Few Words column about Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Not to take away from Neil’s great review! One of the reasons I hold the first film in a higher regard is because the first film has an amazing behind the camera team. Robert Wise, Richard H. Kline, Jerry Goldsmith and Douglas Trumbull. So it seems like RAH might have some words.

What I’m curious about are comments about how the new 4K transfer translates with the film stocks and techniques used at the time to film this movie. There’s the low lighting used on the bridge set, the use of deep focus per Wise’s preference and using split dipper lenses to do it. It’s something I never knew about until I read the American Cinematographer article about the film’s production years ago. I’ll be looking more for that split line! The climatic sequence inside V’ger where they discover what V’Ger really is looks like it will challenge the format and display with the solid reds used to light most of the sequence. The article and the magazine’s series of articles about film is on-line: https://ascmag.com/articles/star-trek-50-part-ii-shooting-the-motion-picture

I know RAH is not a fan of Star Trek. But he did do a column on the JJ Abrams Star Trek films. Films I do not feel live up to the Star Trek brand. Thanks for indulging my curiosity with this post.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Mel, thanks for the comments! It’s making it harder for me to resist watching my set as I wait to purchase a new 4K display. It’s interesting that you and Skylar are finding the remastered image is so improved, you can’t stop watching! Of course Goldsmith‘s score is a major contributor to driving the film along!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just picked up my ST 4K set Friday. Ordered it at BB. They brought it right out front to my car in a couple of minutes. Watched first movie TMP yesterday. I only planned to take a peek, but was drawn right in and watched the whole thing. I think it’s the music that does it. Goldsmith’s score is perfection. The scenes which many have found slow and plodding (the Enterprise traveling into the cloud, etc.) are remarkable because of the music. The detail in the picture is top notch. I may rewatch Space Seed before I watch Khan.

Agreed. I watched tmp in hdx when the master was updated a few weeks ago. The mastering is so much better than the 2009 Blu-ray.

My iTunes copy is not update to 4k and I’m waiting on my disc set from Amazon. I started the digital 4k and will probably watch a bit more this week.

I sampled 3 and 4 when they updated last week too. They look very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Software Testing Training
Recent bookmarks