What's new

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
All this bitching, and moaning from me about delivery date from Amazon has me feeling like a dinosaur brain. I just checked my local Best Buy, and plentiful in stock availability. So weird that actually going in to a store to make a purchase of physical media feels so alien to me in 2021. Will cancel my Amazon order, and purchase it with cash tomorrow.
I did the same thing yesterday. I kept noticing the Amazon delivery date was next week some time, and then noted that the "sold by" options didn't include one for Amazon. That's when I checked the BB site and saw that not only did my store have a decent amount (as I mentioned it didn't have a low stock warning which usually means more than 3 in store), but several other locations near me also had availability. The regional inventory manager for BB must be a Trekkie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You guys are west coast? It may be that our east coast shipments are more impacted because there isn’t a Best Buy near me with it available.

Oh, and to answer an earlier question: from the upgrade digitals I can see that the title sequences in III and IV are no longer pillar boxed, and alien languages in TMP are burned in. It looks like TMP titles may have been digitally recreated in high quality in the same font rather than the bad optical print job that had been in the earlier versions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You guys are west coast? It may be that our east coast shipments are more impacted because there isn’t a Best Buy near me with it available.
True, but there are copies available in BB stores in Michigan. I'm not buying it yet and will do so either this Christmas season or wait until the next group of titles come out.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Where are the disc sets shipping from?

I saw that there are some product delays due to labor shortages of unloading ships on the west coast.

Not sure if this is connected.

Aren’t discs usually made in Mexico?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Remember that stores often receive their inventory well in advance of release date. Not like the day before. When I worked at Barnes and Noble as a student we'd often get books and CDs at least a week out of release date. Maybe Ida played a part in disrupting shipping as I think it made landfall in LA on the 30th, so timing may check out. A lot of people and things hunkered down in the days leading to the 30th and it took a while to get things back up and running after it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My closets Best Buy only showed 1 on hand, lol. When my budget permits I will ether go to the store and pick it up which is a great excuse to get out of the house. Or if it is in stock on Amazon I will get it free delivery if the brick and mortar store is out. Oh and here in California there are lots of cargo container ships stacking up waiting to off load at the port causing delays in product getting on store shelves.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
May seem like an odd question or two but....

Are the subtitles during the alien language dialog back to be burned in with the original fonts?

Is the opening credit sequence on Star Trek III at the correct aspect ratio? The Blu Ray release has it weirdly pillarboxed.
Trek III's opening is no longer pillarboxed.

The subtitles on the streaming copies are burned in. Discs are player generated.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
How is this different than the Bluray collection edition I have of the original 6 TOS crew movies?

They're much better, new transfers(!), especially if you're 4K-capable... although there's also supposed to be a BD-only release. But if you (still) love the PQ of your old set, then maybe don't ask and don't look further since ignorance is bliss??? ;):P

_Man_

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Trek III's opening is no longer pillarboxed.

The subtitles on the streaming copies are burned in. Discs are player generated.
Pillerboxing: great!
Subtitles: shit. I hate that they do that and that is, believe it or not, a huge disappointment. It's the main reason I hung onto the DVDs. The placement and fonts for each film were different and it doesn't actually recreate the original film experience if the subtitles are player generated and the same generic font. Only Star Trek II seemed to be accurate.

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
It looks like this may be another 4K set impacted by supply chain bottlenecks. I pre-ordered on Amazon the day it was announced, but I still don't have a ship date, and Amazon is now listing it as Temporarily Out of Stock. I'm having the same issue with The Thing.
I experienced the same thing. I was able to snag the last copy they had from a Best Buy in the next town over from me and will pick it up tomorrow. I cancelled the Amazon order.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
FWIW, you probably got those first 4 (theatrical versions only) upgraded for free to 4K on iTunes (w/ the new transfer). That might hold you over until you can get the actual discs...

Just checked and iTunes shows upgraded to 4K on the first four films which also sporting new thumbnails compared to the remaining 6 films. This will hold me over till I get the 4 disc 4K blu-ray set in my library. Even the directors cut of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan shows 4K. :D

Star Trek TMP.jpg

Star Trek TMP 4K.jpg

Star Trek WOK 4K.jpg

Star Trek 2 WOK DC 4K.jpg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just checked and iTunes shows upgraded to 4K on the first four films which also sporting new thumbnails compared to the remaining 6 films. This will hold me over till I get the 4 disc 4K blu-ray set in my library. Even the directors cut of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan shows 4K. :D

View attachment 111762

View attachment 111763

View attachment 111764

View attachment 111765

I forgot I had a $20 Amazon credit used on my order. I’ll let it ride a bit and see what happens.

I will check my iTunes version this evening too.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I got my copy at a Best Buy in South Florida and there are still some copies out there I see. And it has been a long time since I bought a movie from a brick-and-mortar store

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Rented being James Bond on Apple TV tonight.

When I rented it Apple also updated the first 4 trek films to 4k.

Watching tmp now.

Still waiting on Amazon to send my discs.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Thanks for the great review Neil! Noting your post in the Star Trek thread, I did see a few typos. :). I imagine you were pushing hard to see each disc to do this write up as quickly as you could. :). Thanks for the effort!

There is one thing you said and other reviewers I’ve read have been saying about The Motion Picture and why in the last 20 years and more so in the last decade, that for me it’s the best film in the series. It’s very measured in its pacing, though of course, Wise didn’t get to fine tune the edit. But more so for me, it’s simply the epic nature that the film has. It had the budget and a serious science fiction idea. It had a big idea that was new at the time. So while Star Trek 2 does bring the characters back to form, the other films just didn’t have the same impressive epic feel. I loved Wrath of Khan when it came out and was super excited to see it and to see it over and over. Each new Star Trek film became an event where the day was planned to see the first showing the first day. But over time, The Motion Picture just has more depth to chew on.

By the way Neil, I don’t think you made any comments about the color grading of TMP. Maybe I missed it. If the iTunes version is any indication, I thought the remaster looked very warm compared to the old blu ray. And I‘d guess it is what it is supposed to look like. I thought it looks great. I’d be curious if RAH comments on the remastering and look of the effort made to restore The Motion Picture.

I hope to get my set soon!
I finally had the chance to read through and fix some errors tonight (I reworked a sentence or two for clarity as well, but not enough of a change to suggest you read it all again :)) I had a note about the warmer color that didn't make my final edit, so I tagged that in the Video section, too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well guys, I ordered this set a while back too from Amazon. I also have not had any messages from Amazon as to when they will ship my order. Given all the reports from everyone with similar experiences of no indication from Amazon on when they will fulfill the orders for this set, I decided first thing this morning to order the set through the Best Buy app.

Late today after work, I stepped out of my comfort zone amid Covid to drive over to Best Buy to do curbside pick-up. It’s the first time in 18 months I’d been there! Ha, ha! How quaint to go to a store. I was going to wait for Amazon because I have not made my choice where to buy a new 4K TV yet. I figured this set isn’t going to be out of print anytime soon and so I wasn’t in a hurry knowing these films finally got the remaster we’ve waited so long for. But with the reports of plenty of stock in Best Buy stores, I decided to go for it! It was easy and very quick when I got to Best Buy for the Best Buy associate to bring the set to me in my car. :)

A2311C1D-7DD0-46B8-B162-C2D7CBE75610.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks