What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bull Moose.

It’s on special order at BM. Some preorders shipped but there’s a wait if you order it now. Same with other major retailers. This seems like a larger replication capacity + pandemic shortages + hurricane logistics delay rather than the fault of any one retailer.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Yes, I understood that.
My question was if this exact same audio has updated sound FX comparing to the original theatrical presentation.
I don’t think so. I’ve been living with these mixes since 2009 so it’s been ages since I’ve heard the original ones but at the time nothing seemed untoward. To my ear, it appears they went back to the original stems and just repurposed the existing material to fit within the newer industry standard 7.1 container. It doesn’t sound as if the mixes have been redesigned or re-recorded with new elements.

There's at least one sound effect in ST3 that's been missing since the DVDs. When the Bird of Prey is flying away from Genesis, there should be a high-pitched cracking sound over one of the explosions. It was there on the VHS and laserdisc, and I also remember hearing it in the 35mm print I saw a few years ago. (You can also hear it underneath Leonard Nimoy's commentary track.)

Of course, that could very well be a difference between the 35mm and 70mm theatrical mixes, the latter of which is probably what the 5.1 and 7.1 tracks were taken from.

There also seems to be a little bit of added stereoization in the surrounds which probably wouldn't have been there even in the 70mm mixes (aside from ST6), but otherwise, the 7.1 tracks are pretty faithful to the way the original crew's movies have always sounded.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Waiting on my set to ship too.

Glad I picked up the complete box set in iTunes for $20 in March.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
In Southern California, all OC Best Buy stores seemed to have 3 or more in stock. I picked one up at noon.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
In Southern California, all OC Best Buy stores seemed to have 3 or more in stock. I picked one up at noon.
I got mine from from a SoCal Best Buy and it did not have the "few in stock" warning so I would guess this is true.

I had not seen Khan in many, many years. I forgot how great this movie is.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
It’s on special order at BM. Some preorders shipped but there’s a wait if you order it now. Same with other major retailers. This seems like a larger replication capacity + pandemic shortages + hurricane logistics delay rather than the fault of any one retailer.
OK. But mine shipped from them yesterday. Has amazon shipped any out at all?

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
It’s not just Amazon on this title - no one seems to actually have it in stock, and review copies went out late too. Replication capacity issues + pandemic supply and logistics issues + Hurricane Ida related transportation issues.
This is simply inaccurate. Amazon is the only retailer not shipping this box set. I got mine at Best Buy in a brick-and-mortar. Other people have gotten their shipment in the mail from Deep Discount, Target, Walmart, Best Buy and from Bull Moose as well. Every other retailer has gotten them in the mail with people having already received them or already having then notified that the item is in the mail the only retailer that has not shipped any is Amazon. Even those people like myself who pre-ordered on July 7th within minutes of the pre-order going live have not received so much as a notification UPS shipping instead they have been sent emails asking if they want their order to be canceled because it might be delayed a week or two. Something is either very wrong at Amazon or whoever the distributor was has a vendetta against Amazon because all the other retailers are managing to get them into the hands of the consumer

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's the same guy who brought it up on Twitter initially.

Hey Neil, I wasn’t aware of that Guy or his Twitter post. I noticed it from looking at the iTunes stream when it first became available some weeks back and surprised I was not the only person who noticed it.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
It does end up being a burden on all of the smaller retailers when the biggest one can't get a hold of a single copy even for the people who make sure they got in line early. I just checked Best Buy and Walmart have them in stock still

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is simply inaccurate. Amazon is the only retailer not shipping this box set. I got mine at Best Buy in a brick-and-mortar. Other people have gotten their shipment in the mail from Deep Discount, Target, Walmart, Best Buy and from Bull Moose as well.

And those retailers were all out of stock online yesterday - it was not available for shipping. Bull Moose, for instance, had it listed as a “special order,” while Best Buy offered Sept. 29th as a delivery date.

Im really not trying to start something here, I’m simply stating my belief that there are shortages with this title on release date as there have been for so many catalog titles this year.

I believe one of Amazon’s main warehouse/shipping hubs is in Louisiana, parts of which are currently underwater and without electricity. One of their main shipping hubs is the Newark airport, which is under water. Maybe it’s just a coincidence but I think it’s having an impact.

I think the fact that review copies went out late also points to supply chain/availability issues.

Not trying to start an argument, just offering my perspective. I hope everyone who wants this set is able to get it soon.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have not searched around much yet but did go to Amazon and it ether shows up as an import or used. How does a title that just came out only have used copies already. When I went to do a screen shot now it instead says out of stock. The first title I had trouble getting and had to wait for was the Indiana Jones 4K set.

Star Trek Collection_a.jpg

I do have the ability to stream the HD versions of the original 10 films via iTunes but never got around to getting the films on Blu-ray disc. I will be glad to pick up the 4 film set on 4K Blu-ray once it is available or maybe I will just visit a store and buy it if available. I wonder how long it will take to get the other 6 films on 4K disc? While IMHO The Final Frontier is the weakest of the franchise I will still want it for my collection in 4K. And yes I still have all my Star Trek DVD's, LOL.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have not searched around much yet but did go to Amazon and it ether shows up as an import or used. How does a title that just came out only have used copies already. When I went to do a screen shot now it instead says out of stock. The first title I had trouble getting and had to wait for was the Indiana Jones 4K set.

View attachment 111727

I do have the ability to stream the HD versions of the original 10 films via iTunes but never got around to getting the films on Blu-ray disc. I will be glad to pick up the 4 film set on 4K Blu-ray once it is available or maybe I will just visit a store and buy it if available. I wonder how long it will take to get the other 6 films on 4K disc? While IMHO The Final Frontier is the weakest of the franchise I will still want it for my collection in 4K. And yes I still have all my Star Trek DVD's, LOL.

FWIW, you probably got those first 4 (theatrical versions only) upgraded for free to 4K on iTunes (w/ the new transfer). That might hold you over until you can get the actual discs...

_Man_

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
May seem like an odd question or two but....

Are the subtitles during the alien language dialog back to be burned in with the original fonts?

Is the opening credit sequence on Star Trek III at the correct aspect ratio? The Blu Ray release has it weirdly pillarboxed.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
FWIW, you probably got those first 4 (theatrical versions only) upgraded for free to 4K on iTunes (w/ the new transfer). That might hold you over until you can get the actual discs...

I will check later and see if my iTunes version show HD or 4K thank you for reminding me of that as I did not even think about it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
All this bitching, and moaning from me about delivery date from Amazon has me feeling like a dinosaur brain. I just checked my local Best Buy, and plentiful in stock availability. So weird that actually going in to a store to make a purchase of physical media feels so alien to me in 2021. Will cancel my Amazon order, and purchase it with cash tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks