What's new

Pre-Order Star Trek: The Original 4-Movie Collection (4k UHD Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah it was only 6 unless you count the first Of the new movies that had Spock appear.

I probably won’t buy any of these 4K sets since I already have the digital versions.
The only one I might buy is the first one if the digital version doesn’t upgrade the Dir cut to 4K.

Also, are people really complaining about this finally being released?
Is there a shake my head emoji?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Is there somewhere that explains the difference in TMP theatrical and Director’s cut?
The production history of Star Trek: The Motion Picture is complex.

Some background:
  • Almost two decades before the launch of UPN, Barry Diller tried to create a fourth major television network under Paramount's branding and ownership. "Star Trek: Phase II" was to be the flagship series for this new network. By July 1977, they'd started building sets for the new series. Alan Dean Foster's story treatment for the two-hour pilot includes story elements that would be carried through the entire development process.

• By September 1977, William Shatner has signed on to reprise his role as Kirk and star in the new series. However, Leonard Nimoy was not interested in committing to another weekly television series.

• By that October, Paramount is already seriously considering a motion picture instead. By November, with the incredible success of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the decision is finalized. By December, the production is figuring out ways to salvage the sets for the television series and bring them up to the standards of the silver screen.

• In January 1978, the catastrophic decision is made to go with RA&A for the visual effects. All of the visual effects work for "Phase II" is scrapped.

• That March, the great Robert Wise signs on as director. Wise convinces Paramount to pay Leonard Nimoy, and Spock is brought into the project. He also brings on Hal Michelson as production designer, after the previous production designer quit after growing frustrated with the power plays by RA&A's art department.

• Principal photography goes from August 1978 to January 1979, three months longer than it was supposed to.

• By December 1978, it has become clear that RA&A's model photography is complete garbage. By February 1979, only one visual effects shot had been completed despite millions spent.

• Paramount is contractually committed to a December 7 1979 release date by this point, and with only ten months to go the visual effects work has to start over from scratch. The visual effects wouldn't be completed until eight days before the US theatrical release.

• Post-production work isn't completed until December 5, two days before the US theatrical release. Paramount had to charter a fleet of private planes to distribute the prints on such a short timetable.
The result is that Robert Wise had to deliver the movie without the benefit of test screenings or really any time to think. All of the energy was focused on just delivering a comprehensible movie by December 7th.

The Director's Edition gave Wise the opportunity to make editorial decisions at his own pace, and to complete the visual effects shots that they ran out of time on for the theatrical cut.

The result is a new cut of the movie that is a few minutes longer but also feels more briskly paced, because a lot of the stuff Wise cut out made the theatrical cut drag, while a lot of the stuff Wise put back in was character-driven. There are also roughly 90 new visual effects shots.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
In other words, one has to be a Trekkie to fully enjoy them? They don't stand alone as great sci-fi adventure movies?
I think they absolutely (and historically have) appealed to the masses who were not familiar with Star Trek. I think a point some would make instead, is that knowing the characters and their long term friendships with each other, would elevate the movies and a newbie would pick up on much less nuance. But it’s not all all in a way that alienates, at least IMO.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
My concern is the blu-rays will be the old ports, like they were for Raiders.
From the press release: "Each of the original four Star Trek films will also be available individually on Blu-ray with the bonus content detailed above. Newly remastered versions of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (both the theatrical and director’s cut), Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home are presented in high definition along with digital copies of the theatrical version of each film."

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

Some background:
  • Almost two decades before the launch of UPN, Barry Diller tried to create a fourth major television network under Paramount's branding and ownership. "Star Trek: Phase II" was to be the flagship series for this new network. By July 1977, they'd started building sets for the new series. Alan Dean Foster's story treatment for the two-hour pilot includes story elements that would be carried through the entire development process.

• By September 1977, William Shatner has signed on to reprise his role as Kirk and star in the new series. However, Leonard Nimoy was not interested in committing to another weekly television series.

• By that October, Paramount is already seriously considering a motion picture instead. By November, with the incredible success of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the decision is finalized. By December, the production is figuring out ways to salvage the sets for the television series and bring them up to the standards of the silver screen.

• In January 1978, the catastrophic decision is made to go with RA&A for the visual effects. All of the visual effects work for "Phase II" is scrapped.

• That March, the great Robert Wise signs on as director. Wise convinces Paramount to pay Leonard Nimoy, and Spock is brought into the project. He also brings on Hal Michelson as production designer, after the previous production designer quit after growing frustrated with the power plays by RA&A's art department.

• Principal photography goes from August 1978 to January 1979, three months longer than it was supposed to.

• By December 1978, it has become clear that RA&A's model photography is complete garbage. By February 1979, only one visual effects shot had been completed despite millions spent.

• Paramount is contractually committed to a December 7 1979 release date by this point, and with only ten months to go the visual effects work has to start over from scratch. The visual effects wouldn't be completed until eight days before the US theatrical release.

• Post-production work isn't completed until December 5, two days before the US theatrical release. Paramount had to charter a fleet of private planes to distribute the prints on such a short timetable.
The result is that Robert Wise had to deliver the movie without the benefit of test screenings or really any time to think. All of the energy was focused on just delivering a comprehensible movie by December 7th.

The Director's Edition gave Wise the opportunity to make editorial decisions at his own pace, and to complete the visual effects shots that they ran out of time on for the theatrical cut.

The result is a new cut of the movie that is a few minutes longer but also feels more briskly paced, because a lot of the stuff Wise cut out made the theatrical cut drag, while a lot of the stuff Wise put back in was character-driven. There are also roughly 90 new visual effects shots.
Thanks!

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I will ignore people complaining about a release few thought would happen or that we would get both versions of ST:TMP in glorious 4K etc. This has always been my second favorite of the series, obvious flaws and all but no worse than some in the others. The epic Goldsmith score and Enterprise dock reveal, which is of course choreographed like a musical number and Wise not? It's glorious especially when I first saw it in a huge 70mm theater with a double feature of ALIEN (even tho I was in no way a Trekkie and found the show a bore) I loved that the fans were getting their reward and for me a classic sequence. The film is arguably the peak of physical model spfx done by two masters (under a tough shoot) and I don't care what ANYBODY says, the trip through V'ger is one of the best psychedelic sequences on film and what the 2001 stargate could have been down the road. I love that the story ends with metaphysics not action or violence and can't believe they CUT Spock crying, which would have given the film a bigger emotional lift than his grabbing Kirk's hand. I agree with much of Harlan Ellison's caustic epic review and yet still watch this more than any other ST film.

I have been waiting for this release for a loooong time and will support it given what we're getting.
I can't wait to boldly watch in 4k...

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The one significant shot in the DC that I always remember is the captain's bridge still being finished with a crew member hanging from the ceiling while doing repair work.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Ordered. This is a must buy for me. I love these films. I hope the next set is out by spring or sooner in 2021 as well.

Can’t wait!

We’ve waited so long for the classic films in 4k. This is an easy purchase choice for me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just keep in mind that if too many people do this, the message Paramount will get is “there’s no interest in remastered versions of the film on disc, therefore we will not continue with these releases.”

Paramount went on a limb doing this, the thing we’ve all wanted since the original Blu-rays underwhelmed in 2009. I don’t care how many installments they split it into. I’m glad they’re finally doing it after a decade of concern that it wasn’t financially feasible to do it.

Agreed. I will support these releases. I want them in my collection. These are some of my top favorite films too.

I also agree that string sales will encourage Paramount too.

I posted on social media letting Paramount know I ordered the set and that I want to buy the other films too.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I don’t disagree but physical media is also a niche market and Star Trek on disc is a niche within a niche - so the reality is, these need to sell for Paramount to continue the effort. After a decade of being inundated with requests to redo the discs, they’re redoing the discs. If they don’t sell, Paramount will conclude that it’s not worth making product decisions based on consumer requests. It may not be fair or ideal but I think that’s where we’re at.

I agree Josh!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have been putting off getting all the movies on HD Blu-ray and now it seems it will be worth it. So not all the movies are making it to 4K Blu-ray but it is a start. I have been a Star Trek fan for a very long time but I want to hear about the transfer before I make the purchase.

View attachment 102909

I have Wrath of khan 4k on digital. It looks fantastic.
I preordered the set yesterday. Must have films.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Yeah it was only 6 unless you count the first Of the new movies that had Spock appear.

I probably won’t buy any of these 4K sets since I already have the digital versions.
The only one I might buy is the first one if the digital version doesn’t upgrade the Dir cut to 4K.

Also, are people really complaining about this finally being released?
Is there a shake my head emoji?

Yes. We are so blessed that we have to complain. It’s in our nature.

I have the films in digital, but I ordered the set.

I can’t wait!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I will ignore people complaining about a release few thought would happen or that we would get both versions of ST:TMP in glorious 4K etc. This has always been my second favorite of the series, obvious flaws and all but no worse than some in the others. The epic Goldsmith score and Enterprise dock reveal, which is of course choreographed like a musical number and Wise not? It's glorious especially when I first saw it in a huge 70mm theater with a double feature of ALIEN (even tho I was in no way a Trekkie and found the show a bore) I loved that the fans were getting their reward and for me a classic sequence. The film is arguably the peak of physical model spfx done by two masters (under a tough shoot) and I don't care what ANYBODY says, the trip through V'ger is one of the best psychedelic sequences on film and what the 2001 stargate could have been down the road. I love that the story ends with metaphysics not action or violence and can't believe they CUT Spock crying, which would have given the film a bigger emotional lift than his grabbing Kirk's hand. I agree with much of Harlan Ellison's caustic epic review and yet still watch this more than any other ST film.

I have been waiting for this release for a loooong time and will support it given what we're getting.
I can't wait to boldly watch in 4k...

Agreed! Time to buy!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Some background:

It’s my preferred cut of the film. I think it tightens everything up and adds some of the human elements that were missing in the theatrical cut which was rushed to theaters without a final edit. I also appreciated the completed audio.

I think the first time I saw the film on vhs it was the special longer edition.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
They made 7 movies with the original cast so it had to be more than just the devoted Trek fans going to see it and I imagine the majority of the average people seeing and enjoying the movies had some familiarity with the show.

What was the 7th movie?

Oh my god you people, of course he’s referring to Star Trek: Generations as the 7th film because is had Kirk, Scotty, and Chekhov in it! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks