What's new

Pre-Order Star Trek: The Original 4-Movie Collection (4k UHD Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Darin, that pre-credit shot you showed above looks familiar to me. I’ve not seen Star Trek 4 for some time. It would be neat if it’s on the new discs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just looked at Bill Hunt’s Twitter page. I don’t have a Twitter account so I was surprised I could see content. Looks like Bill is a few hours away from posting his review. Must be tough as he‘s watching all the movies. I’d like to slowly enjoy these rather then rush through each title and do write-ups. From what‘s he posted, he’s saying these look much better then they’ve ever looked for home video.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
By the way, I’ve always been curious about what appears to be one little goof in Star Trek TMP. Have you guys noticed something wrong in this shot that I’m posting below? It appears to be still there in the iTunes version, so my guess is it’s going to be on the new transfers for the new blu ray and 4K discs. I’d wondered if it might be digitally corrected, buts it’s a really quick thing and most won’t notice it.

View attachment 111221

I’m sure many of you know what I’m referring to in the above image?
The problem with taking it out is 1) it would cost money; and 2) some fans would complain. For better or worse, that's the way the scene has been for nearly 42 years. If they tamper with it, some fans, maybe even myself, might cry foul.

The question is whether Robert Wise would have taken it out for the DE if he'd had the tech back then and it wasn't cost prohibitive.

The news from Hunt's review is mostly positive. Can't wait to get my set.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Skylar, I mostly agree. It’s not like it’s a reflection such as in the Raiders of the Lost Ark snake pit sequence. That guy could just be another of those Starfleet guys gawking at Admiral Kirk. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Must be tough as he‘s watching all the movies. I’d like to slowly enjoy these rather then rush through each title and do write-ups.

It’s a real trade off! I really enjoyed being able to write up Lower Decks for HTF, but that meant watching everything on those discs in two or three days instead of two or three weeks had I just been watching for myself. Individual movies aren’t that much different but box sets and movies take a dedicated effort. It’s totally worthwhile but a different experience.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
By the way, I’ve always been curious about what appears to be one little goof in Star Trek TMP. Have you guys noticed something wrong in this shot that I’m posting below? It appears to be still there in the iTunes version, so my guess is it’s going to be on the new transfers for the new blu ray and 4K discs. I’d wondered if it might be digitally corrected, buts it’s a really quick thing and most won’t notice it.

View attachment 111221

I’m sure many of you know what I’m referring to in the above image?

Oh, that blink-and-you’ll-miss-it fella is still there!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
So far, The Motion Picture has shown itself to generally look great. The early visual effects show their age and edges more pronounced than before. The long Enterprise fly-by is still long :) - and I still think it’s the right length because it showcases that beautiful ship with Goldsmith’s resplendent score, but you can see the VFX seams more clearly than ever.
Some moments look stunning and the film grain looks protected so far.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Bill Hunt’s review is up, I’ll be reading it shortly.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It’s a real trade off! I really enjoyed being able to write up Lower Decks for HTF, but that meant watching everything on those discs in two or three days instead of two or three weeks had I just been watching for myself. Individual movies aren’t that much different but box sets and movies take a dedicated effort. It’s totally worthwhile but a different experience.
Hey Josh, I was wondering by the way since you’re in New York, if the flooding affected you. Sounds like it wasn’t a problem for you. Hopefully not for any members here. The images in the news was amazing. Anyway, sorry for that diversion.

I can try to understand what it’s like to try to quickly view a blu-ray and then put down your impressions of not just the contents of the narrative of the film, but really more about the quality of the video transfer and audio and the extras too. Being that Bill Hunt like us has been long awaiting the Star Trek films to have a proper transfer to blu ray, he must have also really wanted to watch these discs! I want to savor them when I finally get my copy!

I’m glad Bill’s review and Neil’s initial impression above is very positive! And I saw what Bill Hunt said about the lower quality images of that one visual effects shot I mentioned. Like you said Josh, there was no time to replace the shot, but better negatives exists. So now I know the source of that information and will read it from the Return to Tomorrow book. As much as I love Star Trek The Motion Picture and as much as I really wanted to have that book by Preston Neal Jones, I am really having a tough time trying to read it! It’s that odd format probably. I’ll give it another try!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hey Josh, I was wondering by the way since you’re in New York, if the flooding affected you. Sounds like it wasn’t a problem for you. Hopefully not for any members here. The images in the news was amazing. Anyway, sorry for that diversion.

I can try to understand what it’s like to try to quickly view a blu-ray and then put down your impressions of not just the contents of the narrative of the film, but really more about the quality of the video transfer and audio and the extras too. Being that Bill Hunt like us has been long awaiting the Star Trek films to have a proper transfer to blu ray, he must have also really wanted to watch these discs! I want to savor them when I finally get my copy!

I’m glad Bill’s review and Neil’s initial impression above is very positive! And I saw what Bill Hunt said about the lower quality images of that one visual effects shot I mentioned. Like you said Josh, there was no time to replace the shot, but better negatives exists. So now I know the source of that information and will read it from the Return to Tomorrow book. As much as I love Star Trek The Motion Picture and as much as I really wanted to have that book by Preston Neal Jones, I am really having a tough time trying to read it! It’s that odd format probably. I’ll give it another try!

The book contains amazing information but I also found it very difficult to read.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nelson, thanks for the well wishes - we had some storm damage and a couple close calls but we were extraordinarily lucky, no one was hurt, only minor damage to the house.

I read Return to Tomorrow when I had the flu. Apparently lying in bed is the right position to be able to read it, though I don’t recommend the being sick part!

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
So far, The Motion Picture has shown itself to generally look great. The early visual effects show their age and edges more pronounced than before. The long Enterprise fly-by is still long :) - and I still think it’s the right length because it showcases that beautiful ship with Goldsmith’s resplendent score, but you can see the VFX seams more clearly than ever.
Some moments look stunning and the film grain looks protected so far.
I only have BD, but got the 4K to send a message. I am not above editing together parts from both BD's of TMP to make a version that is most pleasing to my eye on the TV I have. So if the edges bother me I might stick with the original BD for those shots but go with the new one for the rest of it. I am obsessed with getting the best version to my eyes of TMP that I can.

Hunt's review has helped me track down special features I never ripped to my hard drives from the TOS movie DVD special features.

One thing I was unclear about if TWOK was a port over from the existing 4K or if it was tweaked. I assume it is ported over.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I recently reset my audio settings on my Denon. I’m so impressed with the digital tmp audio mix. I know it’s the same as the Blu-ray.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Unless I'm missing it surely there were people into 20th Century (1970s) Retro fashion in the 23rd Century - there's one in every bunch ;)!
This reminds me of something Nick Meyer said about the man vacuuming in WOK. He wanted to make a point that dust didn't stop accumulating on things in the 23rd century. He even said he wanted Shatner to ignore the cleaning man as he should be common, but Shatner wasn't having it. This man in TMP reminds me of Nick Meyer's idea--and Roddenberry's--to celebrate diversity.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Watched all 4 4Ks and think they look good - given the nature of the original films.

None of these were ever gonna be "demo material", but the 4Ks seem to represent them accurately.

And that's what we want! :)

The 2021 remastered Blu-rays also offer obvious improvements over the 2009 BDs, though the 4Ks beat the 2021 BDs, of course.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Sounds like a lot of the issues hounding IV since its DVD transfer were film level.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a lot of the issues hounding IV since its DVD transfer were film level.

Yup.

Same for "III" with all its soft focus shots.

Like I said, the films involved here were never gonna look great in an objective sense. Too many murky visuals involved.

The new transfers won't be "hey, look at how awesome 4K is!" material to show your friends, but at least they feel like film!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks