What's new

Pre-Order Star Trek: The Original 4-Movie Collection (4k UHD Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Review copies haven't arrived yet, largely (as Josh notes) because getting this stuff replicated has been a challenge lately.
I should have waited. The package just arrived. I plan on working on these over the weekend but will share some sneak peek thoughts as I make my way through them. I’m excited!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I still haven’t gotten an estimated delivery from Amazon. I’m not expecting this to show up Tuesday.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I should have waited. The package just arrived. I plan on working on these over the weekend but will share some sneak peek thoughts as I make my way through them. I’m excited!
Hey Neil, looking forward to your review. I’m researching my first 4K display since this set is finally coming out!

One area I’m very concerned about is what I saw on the new iTunes copy of Star Trek The Motion Picture. This is the main film I really wanted to see of the 6 films. ( I know, only the first 4 films are in the new set) When I did a quick preview of the iTunes copy, I watched the sequence when Scotty takes Kirk over to the Enterprise from the orbital office to the Spacedock. And then I watched the sequence when the Enterprise leaves Spacedock. Both sequences looked great. What I found disheartening was the exterior shot of the Enterprise as it passes the camera on the port side. This shot looks very soft compared to the old blu ray. I saw that Bill Hunt noticed this as well on the Digital Bits. But noted the Directors Edition when it comes out will have corrected the sharpness issue. This shot appears to not have been processed? I figure this shot will have the same softness on the new blu ray and 4K blu ray.

E90E8095-009A-4A80-A8CE-321C2ECE4596.jpeg

( Don’t get me wrong, I’ve see Star Trek 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 more times then I can remember back in the day of VHS and DVD and early blu rays. But films following TMP just aren’t the same)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The story with that shot is that it didn’t come out right but they didn’t have time to fix it in 1979 - so that’s how 1979 audiences saw it.

They fixed it for future home video releases.

For this 4K release, it appears they’ve gone back to the original negative, which featured that poorly completed shot, and left it as it was so that the 4K disc release is accurate to the original theatrical release.

The director’s edition will feature the fixed version of the shot, since the goal for the DE isn’t to present the film as it was originally released in 1979.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There’s been a replication logjam since prior to the pandemic and other supply and delivery chain issues still ongoing from the pandemic - a lot of studios are sending less review product than previously, and later than usual.

Yup. All of the August "Paramount Presents" BDs arrived post-street, and they didn't get out "Mommie Dearest" until TWO MONTHS post-street!

I'm happy my "Trek" set arrived 5 days pre-street with that recent track record!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Josh. I saw the film in theaters in 1979. Of course it’s been some time, so I don’t remember how that shot looked. Though I have a strong memory of the shot looking up at the saucer as it moves out and looking at all those panels!

I don’t understand what it is meant that the shot did not come out right. Did Trumbull’s crew do an alternate take that is in focus? Or was the shot optically processed poorly at the time? How is it sharper in future home video releases? Was it done by digital tools? It will be interesting to learn more about this.

If this new release is the theatrical cut with warts and all, then I can understand that. It is very nice looking, and the color palette is warmer then the previous blu ray. Perhaps reflecting the true colors. Not doubt the earlier blu ray was cooled down.

Neil, I haven’t seen Star Trek 2 in sometime, so I don’t recall the shot looking soft. I’ll see when the new sets arrives.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, i’ll have to see if I can find those interviews you reference to about that shot not coming out right. And how it was fixed later.

Its funny how the mind works as I’ve seen this film theatrically a few times, in a drive-in, on video tape, two laserdiscs versions, Pan and scan and widescreen, the DE DVD and 2009 blu ray. Yet I mainly remember that spacedock sequence as being super sharp looking. Perhaps it was fixed for all those home view editions.

But this evening I had to re-view the sequence again. Upon watching the iTunes version again, that shot of the Enterprise leaving space dock didn’t look that bad. My eyes must be playing tricks with me. So I looked at the blu ray version, and I was surprised that sequence didn’t look that different after all. So the 2009 blu ray represents that shot as the theatrical version does too. I have a false memory. Maybe it’s like Nancy Crater and I was watching the sequence in a haze thinking it looked sharper then it is.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I just got a delivery update for Sept 12.

Some good news: My WOK soundtrack was in my hot little hands today. I have now bought this soundtrack 5 times: Vinly, cassette, partial release CD, full-length CD, and now this one. The fifth and final time I bought this soundtrack was worth every penny. I'm hearing things I never heard before. Everything seems up front and closer. I am loving it. Thanks Neil, and my thanks to the entire team.

Last edited:

Fozl

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Why do you say the digital bits will have a review today? Usually he posts when he received the set and gives a heads up that a review is coming. But I haven't seen him acknowledge he's gotten the set yet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just ordered my copy and given the manufacturing and distribution problems that pretty much every catalog title seems to have now, I hope to have this by the end of the month. [OLDMANVOICE]"In my day, we could pre-order the morning before a movie came out and still get it on release day."[/OLDMANVOICE]

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Has the European pre credit sequence for Star Trek IV ever been released on DVD or blu ray in any territories? It would be a nice bonus for the obsessive collector.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I’ve always been curious about what appears to be one little goof in Star Trek TMP. Have you guys noticed something wrong in this shot that I’m posting below? It appears to be still there in the iTunes version, so my guess is it’s going to be on the new transfers for the new blu ray and 4K discs. I’d wondered if it might be digitally corrected, buts it’s a really quick thing and most won’t notice it.

DE1882A4-BA55-4CE8-BAC0-19B63458619C.png

I’m sure many of you know what I’m referring to in the above image?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks