What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Star Trek (2009) played in IMAX theaters. I saw it at Universal CityWalk during its initial run.

It had a one week special engagement at select IMAX theaters at a time when such venues were much more limited. It wasn’t until after Avatar’s debut at the end of 2009 that theaters and the industry went all in on multiple formats with significantly higher prices. Don’t get me wrong, Star Trek in IMAX was an incredible experience, but the number of higher priced premium showings was an insignificant portion of the film’s gross compared to Into Darkness.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Star Trek (2009) played in IMAX theaters. I saw it at Universal CityWalk during its initial run.

Yeah I saw it in IMAX too. All three of them actually.

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I remember a story from a trade which went into huge detail about what JJ wanted to do with Trek (mixing TV and movies, multimedia, all that jazz) and the studios couldn’t agree. He got fed up and stopped trying. And that’s how he landed at Star Wars.

You make it sound like Abrams only moved to Star Wars as a consolation because he couldn't do everything he wanted with Star Trek. It's quite the opposite.

J.J. Abrams has never given a flying fig about Star Trek. He has said many times that he was 100% a Star Wars kid growing up. He took the Trek job because it seemed at the time there was little chance of him ever touching Star Wars, and this was as close as he could get. Abrams has admitted that he didn't know a damn thing about Star Trek when he signed on. He had to rely heavily on his close friends Damon Lindelof and Alex Kurtzman (both actual Trek fans) to guide him through the basics of the franchise. At every turn, he did everything in his power to make his Star Trek as much like Star Wars as he could.

The very minute Disney approached him with feelers about whether he might be interested in doing Star Wars for them, he enthusiastically dropped everything and jumped ship, leaving development of the third Trek film in disarray.

Yes, he may have had plans to extend Star Trek across multiple media, but that was just the businessman and self-promoter in him at work. Abrams never had any actual emotional ties to the franchise. It was a stepping stone for him to get into Star Wars, and nothing more.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Never said he had any emotional ties to Trek. Never insinuated that either. What I said was he was fed up with not being able to do what he wanted to do. That’s it.

This isn’t the article I was referring to, but it’s close enough.

But this all really far afield of the 4k release coming down the pike.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Even before TNG debuted in 87, it seems like TOS reruns got a fair amount of play in syndication. I remember watching original Star Trek episodes at random hours of the day back when WPIX was an independent station carried through a wide swath of the Northeast.
BTW, my first -- and last sci-fi convention was at Creation Con in 82 and the late actor who played Kirk's son was a featured speaker. He was great and the first thing he said was, "Yes, that was Ricardo Montalban's real chest." He talked a lot about the cut scenes.
The original cast Trek movies did as well as they did at the start because of the fever people had for the series. As well as the obsession for Star Wars inspired theatrical SF and Fantasy. The early 80's were full of genre flicks. The Trek films also benefitted from the overwhelming nostalgia of the late 70's and early 80's for bringing back 60's shows. My generation was nursed on syndicated reruns of 50's and 60's shows. Star Trek was a huge cult hit and it was all perfect timing.

The first two Trek films were akin to the "reunion movies" which brought back old characters mixed with new in the hopes of generating a new series. Star Trek II in particular was VERY much like that:

Kirk is an Admiral. Everyone has promotions and new jobs. Kirk has a grown son we never knew about. An emergency brings them together. Kirk and his son are at odds. The heroes journey brings them together in the end. This could be "The Return of the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman" which aired a few years later.

After Trek II, though, they began to stop moving forward. Kirk stopped growing. They stopped mentioning Carol Marcus and David was killed off. Saavik was written out. Kirk was demoted to captain and given a new Enterprise. He got his best friend and brother back. All of those great strides and passing of time that the first two films introduced and made everything feel more real was erased to bring everyone back to their old jobs. By the time we see Kirk again in Star Trek V, everyone is in their TV series jobs and Kirk is climbing a mountain like he was in his prime. However, at this point, the fever was burning itself out. Fans went from "I want Kirk and Spock " to "I want Picard and Data!" The movies (which dropped in quality and care) weren't as attractive to people. And for the TNG movies to be successful, they had to completely change the format to fit the screen. Do you think anyone would have come to the theater to see a Troi and Geordi centered film? Or a 2 hour story about Picard negotiating a treaty or Data dealing with a lonely boy who pretends to be an android? At least TOS was an action adventure series that could translate well into a feature.

The 2009 Trek probably did as well as it did because it was a fresh start and you didn't need any knowledge of Trek lore to enjoy it. How many critics would review one of the films and say "add a star if you're a fan." Or "for Trekkies only." That's probably one of the reasons they lied about Bandersnatch being Khan. They may not have wanted to look like you needed to know anything going in. The ads for Beyond made it look like crap. I was very pleasantly surprised to see it was much more than that.

There isn't a hunger for theatrical "Star Trek" anymore. The audience is different and I don't think it has as much to do about the time between films as it is about the Star Trek Stigma. James Bond movies can have 6 year gaps and still smash the box office. Fast and Furious Movies can get more and more looney and lose cast members and still bring people in droves. Even a Star Wars film considered a flop makes more than a Star Trek movie.

People don't care enough about Star Trek to make it a blockbuster tentpole anymore. It belongs on TV. It does very well there. And these days, they look like movies.
THIS. And the key thing is that ST is far more character-centric and that was the glue that held the show together. As if a whole new cast can just capture that magic and propel it into a multi-verse. That's what the uber-fans, bean-counters and marketing mavens don't understand and the marketing-minded subtext is that somehow all you have to do is create new beloved characters. Simple!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sad how this thread has devolved into a basically bash/trash Trek thread. Disappointing. :(

I for one am ecstatic to be getting these 4 films in 4K.
And what's more, there should be more 4k releases next year, with movies 5-10 making their way to the format. And it should all culminate with the 4k release of the TMP director's cut.

This, plus, a new season of Picard and Strange New Worlds in the new year will make 2022 a great time for Star Trek. (And the rest of 2021 isn't too bad either, with new seasons of Lower Decks, Discovery, a new show in Prodigy and the first four films in 4k.)

John*Wells

Premium
Real Name
John
Just keep in mind that if too many people do this, the message Paramount will get is “there’s no interest in remastered versions of the film on disc, therefore we will not continue with these releases.”

Paramount went on a limb doing this, the thing we’ve all wanted since the original Blu-rays underwhelmed in 2009. I don’t care how many installments they split it into. I’m glad they’re finally doing it after a decade of concern that it wasn’t financially feasible to do it.
And it is For this Reason, I will Purchase these Even though I have the Standard DVD of all OG Cast Films as well as the Blu Ray Releases. Furthermore, Eventually Paramount plus will show the Films in 4K .. I dont want to sit there watching and think "Darn, I wish I had bought those before they went out of Print"

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Neil Bulk intercepted a transmission from Talos IV. The us transfer of tmp has updated to the newer hd transfer. Not 4k yet.

It looks fantastic!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Hmm.

D0F84C06-03CF-429B-B3EC-032C3848EE22.jpeg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I must have tapped the track pad somehow.

No invisible shelf, just haven’t taken the legs of the tv yet.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As I said in the other thread, I did not know the iTunes version of TMP was updated with the new 4K transfer. Assuming the regular HD version is using the new transfer too, I couldn’t help myself and wanted to take a quick preview of the new master. Though I want to wait for the blu ray before I really watch the movie, I just wanted a sneak peak.

I sampled the sequence when Scotty takes Kirk to the Enterprise via the travel pod. I joined the sequence just as the pod is passing the space dock side and makes the turn to going head-on into the Enterprise. If you know the sequence, there is a minor error in the optical effects and one of the layers of clouds passes over the vertical structure of the dock. It’s still there.

As the pod heads over the saucer, I noticed immediately the color timing is warmer, the hexagonal lighting rigs are very yellow. Then as the pod rounds the secondary hull and heads towards the secondary hull hatch, we can see the side pennant on the hull and it’s now red, not green. ( I’ve watched the iTunes version before and the earlier version has the pennant looking green, so this is the new transfer)

I went as far as Kirk entering the bridge and leaving. What I noticed is the image looks less sharp. Maybe like how the 2020 blu ray of To Catch A Thief looks compared to the 2012 blu ray. The older blu ray of Star Trek TMP like that Hitchcock film looks sharper and the colors slightly different. In the 2021 iTunes Star Trek The Motion Picture remaster though, of the sequences I did watch, they may not look as sharp, but it felt more like film. And I could see film grain. On the 2009 blu ray, there is an absence of film grain. On the 2021 iTunes Star Trek The Motion Picture the color timing is warmer. Ha, ha, not teal. But warm. Reds and yellows are a bit punchier. I bet the film looked like this in 1979. I saw it, but can’t remember exactly. It reminds me of the criticism that the film looks cold because of the greys on the bridge and uniform greys, but it’s not cold.

I could not help myself and jumped ahead to the Enterprise leaving dock. There’s definitely grain in the optical effects. The shot of the ship leaving dock where the camera scraps the side of the secondary hull looks very soft, it’s actually bad, I’m surprised. Maybe it was due to the digital work to remove the mount on the starboard side of the model. In the raw shot, the model mount is visible as it passes in front of the space dock model. I hope this shot looks better on the blu ray. It’s kind of disappointing as it’s an amazing shot. Beyond this one shot, the image looks better. I stopped after they passed Jupiter. Then jumped to Spock’s introduction on the bridge. This new color grading makes the skin tones look more natural now. Spock’s prosthetic ears color didn’t match his skin tone in the 2009 disc. This new version, Spock and McCoy’s skin tones looks much better! I stopped here as I didn’t want to spoil the fun of watching the new blu ray.

I don’t have a 4K display yet, and I watched the iTunes HD stream on my 65” plasma. It looks quite good. Hopefully I’ll have a new 4K display by September 7th.

I didn’t know about the double tapping the trackpad trick to zoom the image! Thanks for that info. I just tried it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watched about an hour of the film last night. I have no complaints. Contrast and picture look fantastic.

I did notice a few audio things in the mix that I don’t recall hearing before. I recently did a new setup on my Denon with my audio though and maybe I’m able to hear some lesser sounds I didn’t notice on my previous setup.

For example I don’t remember ever hearing sound on the bridge of the Klingon ship when the navigator presses the buttons on the helm.
Also when Spock first arrives on the bridge I heard his tricorder running.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just read The Digital Bits quick review of the iTunes Star Trek The Motion Picture and of the scenes I did sample, I see Bill Hunt saw the exact same things I saw and has the same reaction. I’m glad he said the shot of the Enterprise looking so soft as it leaves space dock will likely be fixed for the Directors Edition.

And he posted this link to a Gallery of still images by a friend of the Bits comparing the 2009 blu ray to the 2021 iTunes.

I’m really looking forward to this disc!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AaronChi
Recent bookmarks