What's new

Star Trek The Next Generation Season Three available for preorder (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man
The season straddling cliffhangers after BOBW were Redemption, Time's Arrow, and Descent (which you forgot to mention... probably with good reason). And honestly, none of those, IMO, really would qualify for separate releases, because they really weren't anything special like BOBW was. In fact, out of the whole list of two-parters, the only major ones that I think could be successful solo releases are Unification, because of Spock (and with the episode Sarek thrown in for good measure), and Chain of Command, because there are four lights.
Yeah, by the time I realized my mistake I was sitting getting my oil changed. I didn't intend to leave Descent out...the first hour is pretty darn good!
I'd agree none of the other finale/premiere cliffhangers are worthy of the "feature" treatment. There's a law of diminishing returns that carries all the way through ENT with the cliff hangers. The only other one I'd be interested to see as a "movie" is Scorpion from VOY. I think that part II holds up fairly well in connection with the first part.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There are a lot of DS9 two-parters that work well together and where the second part doesn't disappoint. Similarly, some of Enterprise's season four three-episode arcs are outstanding.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam Favate said:
There are a lot of DS9 two-parters that work well together and where the second part doesn't disappoint. Similarly, some of Enterprise's season four three-episode arcs are outstanding.
Sam, Agreed. The Aenar and Vulcan arcs are superb.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm kinda surprised that CBS has chosen to release the Best of Both Worlds as a separate single film release. Though at the same time, I think its great and not so surprising because a lot of people will be dying waiting for the Season 4 set to arrive. The part that surprises is that I didn't realize that an edited version existed that combined the parts into a single film. I guess the completists like myself will be buying both the S3 set and the BOBW set on day of release to have both versions. "Your attempt at a delay will not be successful...." "Then take your best shot, Locutus, because we're about to intervene."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is BOBW recut in widescreen? I know the season sets aren't, but since BOBW was also being shown in the theaters, I wondered.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think the answer to that is no. They didn't do MAR for any of the S1/S2 episodes, so why would this be different?

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i was at my local walmart and they had star trek the next generation standard release for $39.99. it was in the old packaging. they must have had some still in stock from years back. i still can't believe the price.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
kingfish said:
i was at my local walmart and they had star trek the next generation standard release for $39.99. it was in the old packaging. they must have had some still in stock from years back. i still can't believe the price.
I've seen the old silver packaging at WalMart too. Eh, I've sold off all but three of my old season sets in the last four weeks and don't need the massive bulk of them on the shelf anymore. The same with Enterprise...all sold.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just had a skim through of the review and looked at the images of the Star Trek The Next Generation Season Three Blu Ray on trekcore.

That looks like the best set yet! The image quality is back to the high standards of CBS digital for the effects work. The live action looks fantastic.

There are a lot of favorite episodes in this season for me. One that I have less regard for is The Most Toys. But I was going to give it a new look. The surprise is restored footage of the original actor to play Fajo. He was replaced by Saul Rubinek half way through. This guy looks like he might have made the episode a lot better as the review says he's more a threat then Rubinek's characterization.

Funny to see Seth MacFarlane chairing a reunion of the writers. Never thought I'd see Ron Moore and Brannon Braga in the same room again, but they made up I think.

I'm really looking forward to the set. Here's my vote too to let CBS remaster Star Trek The Motion Picture and bring in Daren Docterman to help. (Which will never happen, the film division will do it.)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait. I'm almost finished with season 2( outsourced or not 2 looks, and sounds amazing). Season 3 may be my favorite season, but I will have to watch it again to make sure.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Damn it. I just found out Best of Both Worlds is playing theatrically, tonight only.... in 40 minutes. And I'm otherwise engaged. :angry:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
We just walked in and a few things stand out:

1) I don't remember the original version being this dark. Maybe it was the theater, but everything seemed too dark to me.
2) I hate how they did the cut between episodes. It's jumpy, smashed together and loses a line or two of dialogue if memory serves me. The two part version is much better.

At least we know S4 is coming in July and Redemption will be a movie, too. We'll be seeing that in the theater for S4, followed by Time's Arrow (blech) for S5, Descent for S6 and, I'm assuming, All Good Things for S7.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I think Chain of Command is the best "movie" from the 6th season.

"There are FOUR lights!"

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Will DS9 be redone? I'm guessing yes. Anyone else with any guesses or info?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
benbess said:
I think Chain of Command is the best "movie" from the 6th season.

"There are FOUR lights!"
Agreed it would be much better than Descent, but Descent has a lot of action and the Borg. Chain of Command doesn't necessarily have that. I'd be happy with either (just not Birthright).
benbess said:
Will DS9 be redone? I'm guessing yes. Anyone else with any guesses or info?
My guess is yes and we'll see S1 in late 2014. But that's only a guess.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Jason_V said:
Agreed it would be much better than Descent, but Descent has a lot of action and the Borg. Chain of Command doesn't necessarily have that. I'd be happy with either (just not Birthright).

My guess is yes and we'll see S1 in late 2014. But that's only a guess.
What about a double feature? Each "movie" is only 90 minutes long. As much as I enjoy the making of and bloopers reels, if they skip those it would be a 3 hour double feature. There are some single movie's (LOTR, Lawrence of Arabia, etc., etc., etc.) that are well over that length, and so I think it could be possible.

And what about this idea for Season 7/First season of DS9--a double feature of All Good Things back to back with DS9's 2 part premiere Emissary? Sounds good to me anyway....

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
And for Season 5 I like Unification a little better than Time's Arrow, although I like both of em.

The special guest stars for Unification—Leonard Nimoy, Mark Leonard, Denise Crosby, etc.—combined with the fine script, make this an unusually good "movie" episode.

I'd vote for another double feature here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks